Why become a member? ×

Online jamming experience?

lowlandtrees

I’ve thought about recording a bass line, and WhatsApp-ing it to the drummer, so he can record his playalong and pass it onto other band-ists to add their contribution, a bit like Chinese whispers...

(Unfortunately we’ve had to suspend the band, not only for CV, because our lead guitarist has just started chemo, as has the drummer's wife)

3 hours ago, Baxlin said:

I’ve thought about recording a bass line, and WhatsApp-ing it to the drummer, so he can record his playalong and pass it onto other band-ists to add their contribution, a bit like Chinese whispers...

(Unfortunately we’ve had to suspend the band, not only for CV, because our lead guitarist has just started chemo, as has the drummer's wife)

We do most of our recording this way, probably easier if the drummer can send you a guide track and drum track, you add the bass file and send it back, we currently use either Dropbox (or Crapbox as I like to call it) or WeTransfer to move stuff about, as long as the band members have the facility to drop the tracks into a DAW and the gear to be able to record their parts with decent quality then you can turn out some really good quality tracks.

The attached was recorded remotely and was mixed and mastered by our drummer

IBTFTY 2 (16BIT) STREAMING MASTERED 24feb2020 - 13.09pm.wav

The only problem I have is my 10 year old pc just ain't up to the job. I get the latency down and the i/o goes up. If you have fast internet and a relatively decent machine with all appropriate drivers I can highly recommend it.

I don’t think it’s possible tbh. There’s always going to be some delay converting the analogue signal to digital, it then sipping along and through the internet, then being converted back to analogue.

Edited by ambient

Got JamKazam set up.....a lot of buggering aboot (almost 2 hours) with ASIO settings and balancing on board and hardware volumes. Minor latency issues and some clipping with the bass but voice and acoustic guitar are ok. Possibly need a bit of compression on the bass (don’t have one) although you can load plug ins into the effects window. We are very happy so far with the overall sound (particularly through headphones) although there are only two of us. Supposed to be able to load 5 players in each session.

Apparently if you use Reaper, there’s a tool called NinJam, that uses the latency, it actually adds it where required to keep everyone together. You determine the BPM beforehand and set it in the system. You then play and record to a click. I’m not sure it would work with a band, but I do know someone who’s recorded themselves here and someone else who was in Paris though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/03/2020 at 22:11, lowlandtrees said:

Got JamKazam set up.....a lot of buggering aboot (almost 2 hours) with ASIO settings and balancing on board and hardware volumes. Minor latency issues and some clipping with the bass but voice and acoustic guitar are ok. Possibly need a bit of compression on the bass (don’t have one) although you can load plug ins into the effects window. We are very happy so far with the overall sound (particularly through headphones) although there are only two of us. Supposed to be able to load 5 players in each session.

I can't get the chuffin' thing to work.  Doesn't help that I'm no computer geek and even the videos assume a level of knowledge I don't have.

2 hours ago, ead said:

I can't get the chuffin' thing to work.  Doesn't help that I'm no computer geek and even the videos assume a level of knowledge I don't have.

If I remember right ....I was under the direction of someone...I opened the ASIO settings and changed the buffering.