Why become a member? ×

Bass pod Xt Live - still worth it?

KhaosEmerald

I've found one for a good deal and I'm intrigued but info I've found seems to point to it being problematic on windows 10, and not necessarily the best for live playing due to idle white noise. 

Ive just come back to bass after a long break and was looking for a multi effects to play with. Worth my time or should I get something newer? 

I would look for a more modern version...one that is likely to be supported for a couple more years.

I tried an X3 and it did not work with a Mac. I ended up with an HD500X. It was still on the Line6 website at the time, so I assume it will be supported for a while longer. A Pod XT Pro I had became a real burden when I could no longer connect it to my Mac. 

Admittedly, the real common theme here is Apple. But I see it as Line6 not supporting older products. I think the Pod XT will be usable only by itself - and that is fiddly - after a Windows update or two. 

Your call and caveat emptor and all that, but I would avoid older multifx that require computer connection. 

I never had a problem when I had an XT Live, however, if you can afford one, buy a HD500x instead (and then get the HD Bass pack for it), well worth it.

I had an XT bean since they came out, and got the Live to replace a Zoom B3, but found it to be not that great for the effects. The Amp/Cab sims I felt were better than the B3's, but the effects didn't really shine through from my perspective. Hunted around for an appropriate (and affordable) alternative, and ended up getting the HD500x. Been using that for over 3 years now, and very happy with the results.

Second hand versions are a great buy, as they do tend to have been looked after.

Another alternative would be the HX Stomp, but that's significantly more than a second hand HD500X.

Edited by Skybone

1 hour ago, JimBobTTD said:

I would look for a more modern version...one that is likely to be supported for a couple more years.

I tried an X3 and it did not work with a Mac. I ended up with an HD500X. It was still on the Line6 website at the time, so I assume it will be supported for a while longer. A Pod XT Pro I had became a real burden when I could no longer connect it to my Mac. 

Admittedly, the real common theme here is Apple. But I see it as Line6 not supporting older products. I think the Pod XT will be usable only by itself - and that is fiddly - after a Windows update or two. 

Your call and caveat emptor and all that, but I would avoid older multifx that require computer connection. 

I appreciate the input. You're provably right about computer software support, that is a worry. 

Do you have much of an opinion on boss or zoom multi effects? If line 6 are likely to stop support then I'm less inclined to use their gear. 

I’m far from an expert on multi systems. The Line6 products I have had - four or five - have been the only ones I have had. I have been massively impressed with what Line6 makes. 

Truth be told, I think I’m out of the multi game. They are not for me. So my opinions on them are probably best avoided!