Jump to content
Left leaderboard
JapanAxe

Back to round-wounds?

Recommended Posts

For at least the last 5 years I have used flat-wound strings exclusively on all my bass guitars. Specifically I favour D’Addario Chromes and Ernie Ball Cobalts for a relatively bright flats sound.

 There is a certain attack at the start of each note that I think rounds can do but flats don’t. Consequently I am thinking of fitting one of my Precisions with a set of rounds - but which to get? I would probably favour consistency of sound over the life of the strings - they don’t need to be super bright to start with.

 I have tried half-rounds but didn’t much care for them.

What can the BC posse recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like D'Addarios then I would advocate for EXL170BTs, a balanced tension nickel wound set.  I have these on all my fretted basses and am a real fan of both the feel and the sound.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 D’Addario EXLs are really nice strings. Certainly a good place to start.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just taken some GHS pressurewounds off my Rickenbacker & fitted a set of the above D'Addario nickels,love them they have a lovely rich tone but are not too bright.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a life long steel rounds player I’ve recently swapped to nickels. I bought two basses that had Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on and really liked them, but being conscious of string life decided to try Elixirs and am really pleased with them, got 45-100 on my Jazz and 50-105 on my Stingray. They’re not brilliantly bright like new steel rounds but a good few weeks in and they still sound pretty much like they did when I first put them on the basses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As a life long steel rounds player I’ve recently swapped to nickels. I bought two basses that had Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on and really liked them, but being conscious of string life decided to try Elixirs and am really pleased with them, got 45-100 on my Jazz and 50-105 on my Stingray. They’re not brilliantly bright like new steel rounds but a good few weeks in and they still sound pretty much like they did when I first put them on the basses.

Cheers @Lozz196 I’ve recently changed all my skinny-string guitars over to Elixir Optiweb and they are excellent, but they don’t seem to do an Optiweb bass set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big D'Addario fan, however I recently tried Warwick Red Label nickel rounds and found them every bit as good a D'Addario nickel rounds only softer under the fingers. And they cost half the price, great bang for buck imho. 👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D’Addario NYXL for me. I use flats on most of my basses but NYXL’s on one of the Ricks.

NYXLs seem less “zingy” than a lot of others so I like them as rounds that are a bit closer to flats.

Have you tried half-rounds?

(reading this thread, I’m tempted to try the Warwicks)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

 . . . . . . .  I am thinking of fitting one of my Precisions with a set of rounds - but which to get?

I'm using D'Addario NYXL's these days.  A great full range sound with lots of everything. And they last a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elixrs all day long. Not as bright straight out of the packet, but consistent sounding for the life of the strings, which is about ten thousand years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Coilte said:

Ooh I was only aware of them as flats.

22 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

D’Addario NYXL for me. I use flats on most of my basses but NYXL’s on one of the Ricks.

NYXLs seem less “zingy” than a lot of others so I like them as rounds that are a bit closer to flats.

Have you tried half-rounds?

(reading this thread, I’m tempted to try the Warwicks)

Yes, I've tried half-rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Elixrs all day long. Not as bright straight out of the packet, but consistent sounding for the life of the strings, which is about ten thousand years. 

No shredding of coating from fret wear?

Do you still make electrical contact with the strings and thus provide RF screening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a massive fan of D'Addario strings for the guitar I bought a set when I went back to playing mostly bass, and was completely underwhelmed by them. These days I use Warwick Black label, which for me are a good compromise between longevity and price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another +1 for NewTones

I'd been playing all sorts of flats recently but I wanted rounds for my jazz bass.

I opted for Newtone Platinum Roundcore Nickels.  I didn't want anything as bright or snappy as typical rounds (coming from flats), these worked out perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As a life long steel rounds player I’ve recently swapped to nickels. I bought two basses that had Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on and really liked them, but being conscious of string life decided to try Elixirs and am really pleased with them, got 45-100 on my Jazz and 50-105 on my Stingray. They’re not brilliantly bright like new steel rounds but a good few weeks in and they still sound pretty much like they did when I first put them on the basses.

I switched to Nickel Slinkys too Loz and now only have one bass with TI Flats on. They seem to last ages too and are very comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...