Why become a member? ×

Your Go To Bass

MJJS

5 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

It's on the Scotts'sbasslessons facebook page so anyone with a facebook account can view it. He has left a puppet on the E string tuner!

He posted a photo of it on the 6th of March on the page too. I knew it was yours, given that he is based near Leeds so it wouldn't be a big trip to collect it and there's not exactly a surfeit of 1984 Ken Smith basses floating around.

He's got the bear on the D tuner too :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ead said:

We share very similar tastes in foam mutes.

It's the first time I've ever tried it to be honest and I'm not 100% sure I've cut it straight, but it seems to do the job 😊

I also want to give one of those moppets a go, the ones that look a bit like a sponge Swiss cheese. 

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

It's the first time I've ever tried it to be honest and I'm not 100% sure I've cut it straight, but it seems to do the job 😊

I also want to give one of those moppets a go, the ones that look a bit like a sponge Swiss cheese. 

Mine is not even close to being straight of that symmetrical tbh but it dows the job well and is easy to insert, adjust for the level of 'thump' required and to remove hastily for the next song.

On 20/03/2020 at 15:27, Steve Browning said:

One of the SVL Reserve basses. Had them just a year now and they are simply perfect (for me).

20200320_152407.jpg

Ooh I didn’t know Simon was making basses now!

Given that all my bass guitars are basically Precisions (see signature) I’ll happily grab any of them. Having said that, my ‘73 P  has that ‘comfortable old pair of shoes’ thing going, so that’s my nomination.

Just now, JapanAxe said:

Ooh I didn’t know Simon was making basses now!

Given that all my bass guitars are basically Precisions (see signature) I’ll happily grab any of them. Having said that, my ‘73 P  has that ‘comfortable old pair of shoes’ thing going, so that’s my nomination.

My ex guitarist had a black over sunburst relic strat of his - was bloody amazing.

840948B2-06D1-4577-B466-7B5422BF0383.jpeg

My current 'go-to' bass is my most recent purchase, a £500 Epiphone Jack Casady, which is the only bass I've played for the last 4 weeks or so - my 4 Fenders and a Sandberg have remained unplayed since the day the Casady bass arrived.

(I feel sure I've typed something similar in the last 24 hours, but can't find it!)

My go-to bass for the past six years of so has been an Xotic jazz, bought secondhand from here. Currently tuned down a half-step to cover all the rock (i.e. most) gigs that I do. 

xotic handbox 2 (2).jpg

Edited by peteb

Let’s see some more ‘go to’ basses! 

It’s interesting to see that for several people, your ‘go to’ is a relatively cheap instrument. It just goes to show that a great bass is the one you feel most comfortable with, or the one you normally have to hand. I must admit I feel more ‘loose and relaxed’ playing a bass which owes me less than a super high end bass. I guess it’s a bit like driving an old banger which you’re comfortable to park anywhere. There’s something inherently fun about that. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, ped said:

Let’s see some more ‘go to’ basses! 

It’s interesting to see that for several people, your ‘go to’ is a relatively cheap instrument. It just goes to show that a great bass is the one you feel most comfortable with, or the one you normally have to hand. I must admit I feel more ‘loose and relaxed’ playing a bass which owes me less than a super high end bass. I guess it’s a bit like driving an old banger which you’re comfortable to park anywhere. There’s something inherently fun about that. 

I've had over forty basses, ranging from a £600 Ibanez single cut to a £25 cheapo Aria P bass clone. My two go to basess were the Revelation (posted above) £150, and a Peavey Grind 5, £225. I had a MiM Fender P which cost me £300 which came pretty close and likely would have been my go to if I'd kept it long enough. 

I have two main 'go-to' basses for home noodling, one kept upstairs and one downstairs. My '81 Aria SB-R80 and '83 SB-R60. Both have plenty of bruises and scars but they feel wonderful and just fit me perfectly.

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Deedee said:

I have two main 'go-to' basses for home noodling, one kept upstairs and one downstairs. My '81 Aria SB-R80 and '83 SB-R60. Both have plenty of bruises and scars but they feel wonderful and just fit me perfectly.

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG

That’s a nice pair mate! Love the bottoms one 👍🏻

Edited by bassfan
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...