Why become a member? ×

Your Go To Bass

MJJS

In these troubled times we need to entertain ourselves with some frivolous chat. 
So, what’s the bass you pick up and noodle on to practice & write?

Here’s mine, a MM Jap jazz with an East implant.

B61D8714-DE39-49AC-82C1-5E3677824376.jpeg

• Like 6

Since 2015 everything I’ve written was on my US 2015 Standard Precision - songs spanning 3 albums. However now I find myself picking up either that one, or my US 2017 Professional Jazz, or my 2014 EBMM Stingray and each time think that the bass in my hands is my favourite. The Jazz gets the band duties due to the slimmer neck which is better for the more complex riffs, so I try to make sure I try and include the others. Have to say though, if I could only keep one it would be the Precision, just have more history plus I am a Precision man at heart.

• Like 3

Depends which room I’m in!  

Basses strategically spread around the house - my bargain G4M semi acoustic in the loft room with my lecky drum kit, EB3 in the corner behind an armchair in the lounge, etc, you get the picture.......

• Like 4

If it's writing or practicing at home then the first bass I always pick up is, bizarrely, my Aria P that cost £40. It's got a Quarter Pounder pickup and Chromes on it and it just sounds and feels lovely. If I can't be bothered to plug in then it'll be the £30 Harley Benton 'deko' acoustic. I don't own any megabucks basses but I do have lots of far more expensive 'better' basses but they're either in cases or at our rehearsal room so the cheapo sisters get used every time. 

• Like 4

On the basis that a repetitive exercise with weight strengthens muscles, just at the moment I am using my newly acquired 'Sprackenbacker' as much as possible to build up the specific muscles that I need to support my back when playing this.  It is much heavier than I usually play but I just love it to bits.  Might have to restrict its use to short bursts!

IMG_20200212_142549.jpg

• Like 9

16 hours ago, ped said:

15 years as my #1. In that time it’s seen off Alembics, Marleaux, Smith, Fender, Bossa, Bacchus, Musicman, Fender, Pedulla, Carvin.. even other Vigiers!! It’s comfy like an old jumper.

A4-F167-D5-98-D1-4-F7-A-A2-F3-CDA3-FB18-

NEEDS MORE KNOBS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9