Why become a member? ×

Toughest bass line you play live?

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, djc63 said:

The bass solo break in Call me Al. . . . . . . . .

Bakithi Kumalo didn't play that break. They edited what he did play and the second bar is just the first bar backwards.

He said he tried to play the break but couldn't do it. He approximates it on stage. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2020 at 10:53, chris_b said:

Bakithi Kumalo didn't play that break. They edited what he did play and the second bar is just the first bar backwards.

He said he tried to play the break but couldn't do it. He approximates it on stage. 

Try explaining that to the guitard who insists you play it exactly as per the record.  

I struggled with that years ago, until I looked up some live versions of it...wow, there's some car crashes out there, including a couple with Paul Simon himself...I felt a lot better about it after that 😁

Story goes it was Bakithi's birthday when they were recording it, so they all packed up early and went out, and the engineer took the first half and just reversed it for the second half...

14 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I play a simplified version in my band, nobody notices trust me.

Same here. Don't worry about it too much. The verse riff is easy enough. Trim back the chorus part but keep the essence of it.

I always tend to struggle with getting into the pocket of Let's Dance.   It's a simple line but played so far behind the beat, and when you're on stage the last thing you are able to do is relax and slide into it.

• Like 1