Jump to content
Left leaderboard
NasalFloss

Active electronics battery drain

Recommended Posts

Hi there, I'm used to purely passive instruments up until now. I purchased a V7 recently and the batteries are dead already. I've been using it in passive mode and leave it plugged in when I'm not practicing. Does using the bass in passive mode still affect battery life, or does leaving it plugged in when the amp is off cause drain? Thanks in advance. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to electronics and like I said, it's all new to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always unplug, no matter what. The input jack closes a circuit - and uses battery power - even when you're set to passive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battery drain is tiny if you leave it plugged in in passive. Leaving it plugged in in active causes much more drain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jack being plugged in connects the battery circuit to the preamp whether you’re in passive mode or not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

The battery drain is tiny if you leave it plugged in in passive. Leaving it plugged in in active causes much more drain.

If the battery is powering the active electronics is switched on by plugging in the bass, it makes zero difference whether or not they are connected to the output of the bass. Switching between active and passive only changes the signal path, the pre-amp is still on whether or not the signal is passing through it.

In theory it would be possible to also make the active/passive switch also turn off the battery, but I don't know of any manufacturers that implement this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In theory it would be possible to also make the active/passive switch also turn off the battery, but I don't know of any manufacturers that implement this.

I was just writing a response to this thread and saw this pop up and this is exactly what I was going to say. The active/passive switch should switch the audio path and kill the battery - you would have thought...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then the battery stays connected and using charge, even if the bass is unplugged, if it’s in active mode.

Unplugging the cable is the simplest, most reliable and obvious way of connecting and breaking the power circuit. It’s physical switching, so little can go wrong - user excluded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If the battery is powering the active electronics is switched on by plugging in the bass, it makes zero difference whether or not they are connected to the output of the bass. Switching between active and passive only changes the signal path, the pre-amp is still on whether or not the signal is passing through it.

In theory it would be possible to also make the active/passive switch also turn off the battery, but I don't know of any manufacturers that implement this.

I was told that by Dan Lakin so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t disconnect that battery when you use the switch because if it did you’d get a loud pop when you switch on. I think. Also battery life should be thousands of hours in any case so just change it when you change strings or have a spare in your gig bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ped said:

It doesn’t disconnect that battery when you use the switch because if it did you’d get a loud pop when you switch on. I think. Also battery life should be thousands of hours in any case so just change it when you change strings or have a spare in your gig bag.

No reason why it should. The power-on circuit could be buffered in the same way that many amp manufacturers do with a "soft" power up and shut down.

Also battery life very much depends on when the pre-amp was made. My 1985 Overwater needed new batteries roughly every 3 months, and if left plugged in would drain the battery over night. More modern pre-amps are much more energy efficient and can last well over a year with normal use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...