Why become a member? ×

Flying with instruments - my guide

Dan_Nailed

On 20/02/2018 at 00:14, dand666 said:

I used to do cruise ships and your agent or cruise line will pay for it dude. Just ring the HR up, you'll get it back, sometimes when your on the next ship even.

Just seen your on the ship now, just go see pursers or ring your agent it'll get sorted.

Neither the cruise line or my agent touched it. Proshit just told me to speak to P&O. P&O wouldn't touch it. Said that getting the bass to the ship is my responsibility. 

• Rich pinned this topic
On 15/11/2018 at 13:57, AndyBob09 said:

Neither the cruise line or my agent touched it. Proshit just told me to speak to P&O. P&O wouldn't touch it. Said that getting the bass to the ship is my responsibility. 

Proshit, you've said it all. Princess were super useful and helped out loads.

Also lost my bass going from London to LAX, via Las Vegas >.< Got Lost at Las Vegas, didn't get it back till 2 weeks later when I was in Hawaii. Luckily one of the many Filipino musicians onboard lent me a bass lol!

• 1 month later...

Great read thank you. 

What is you opinion of slackening the strings off ? Some say do it some say don’t. 

My only experience of flying with a bass is when I brought my stingray back from America. It was in a standard MM hard case (that did receive a little knock on the corner, the corigated part collapsed like it’s designed to) but apart from that when I opened it up the other end, soon as it came off the belt, opened it all good. Cost me $25 in extra baggage and I just walked straight through with it. I was second hand so that might explain that. It’s also got a rosewood board. Doubt I’d get away like that again today 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So three years on from buying it and having toured USA and flown backwards and forwards to mainland europe a dozen or so times with it I can recommend whole heartedly the SKB iSeries cases - the 5014-44 for my precisions :

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=647&o=&offset=&c=84&s=75

I now have a 5014-OP open cavity too

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=655&o=&offset=&c=84&s=75

In my opinion there is nothing better that you could put your bass in for flying.

And it's got wheels so you can drag it around without putting your back out.

Just be prepared, particularly in USA, to be stopped by customs  - they're convinced it's a firearm.

Edited by Twigman

• ped unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

Obviously no-one has flown much recently let alone play music but I am flying in November and taking my bass with me. Jet 2 is looking like the best price at the moment but their website is very clear on maximum size for carry on hand luggage and my bass is much bigger than that!

Anyone had any recent experience with this airline that they can share?