Why become a member? Ɨ

What a time to be looking for a new band!

Mykesbass

Me too. I'd just got myself playing again after a 2 year hiatus with learning a full set of songs for a dep that's looking increasingly unlikely to happen.

Then I wanted to find myself a new band. Got a new amp 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to try it out properly yet!

Yep, I was in the process of putting a new project together, and not only have we agreed to put it on hold for the time being, the rehearsal studio has closed its doors for a few weeks too.Ā 

Ā 

I feel really bad for the studio, as presumably the number of cancellations will have had a massive effect on income. Hopefully they can bounce back.

A couple of weeks ago I was offered the bass gig for an established Bristol/South West band with around 25 well paid gigs this year. The thing that really appealed was the keyboardist also plays a bit of bass so I was asked to play some sax too (gigs like this don't come up often I find).Ā 
Ā 

My first gig was due to be 25th April, after a load of rehearsals but sadly every single rehearsal and gig has been cancelled until at least June/July.Ā 
Ā 

Oh well, more time to practice at least I guess.Ā 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Sad 1

My bass playing pal JerryĀ  Soffe has just had his income whipped out from beneath him.Ā  As a full time professional , this is how he earns money, but all gigs and 3 up and coming tours now justĀ  tumbleweed in the breeze.

Luckily, his wife's job means she carries on working,Ā  but they're down to one income and with a 16 year old living at home, who eats for 3, times are going to be tough for them

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

My bass playing pal JerryĀ  Soffe has just had his income whipped out from beneath him.Ā  As a full time professional , this is how he earns money, but all gigs and 3 up and coming tours now justĀ  tumbleweed in the breeze.

Luckily, his wife's job means she carries on working,Ā  but they're down to one income and with a 16 year old living at home, who eats for 3, times are going to be tough for them

He should send the 16-y-o out to work at a supermarket. Seems there are now plenty of jobs...

• Haha 1

Well it gives time to learn the new material! I've been contacted by a band that needs a bassist, they play half the set of my existing band so my attitude was that learning the other half over the foreseeable wouldn't be too much of a task. Considering the state the pub trade will be in though I think after we are through all this there could be less paid gigs about, every penny counts for the landlords who will have shut for months, if they can even open again.Ā