Why become a member? ×

My new MTD 534-24

funkyjimbob

Finally after a year of waiting I finally received my custom order MTD. Can quite safely say it's the best instrument I have ever set my hands on. Playability, tone is unreal and it looks incredible. Also incredibly light!

I am now hooked.. already scouring the web for more...

20200311_155547.jpg

20200311_155602.jpg

20200311_155607.jpg

20200311_155615.jpg

20200311_155632.jpg

• Like 10

My MTD AG5 USA is one of the most comfortable basses I’ve ever laid hands on - I don’t think the tone is for me in the long run, but it’s a different flavour to have around. The feel MTD basses have is phenomenal and the attention to detail right up there. I sold my Fodera in favour of the MTD which I think says a lot! Love your Warwicks too! Enjoy, your MTD is a beauty! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't put my AG5 down since the start of lockdown, and this thread was certainly part of that! How are you liking it now @funkyjimbob? What are your favourite EQ positions/combos?

I've been really digging into the EQ and, post a restring, all my doubts from my earlier post have been allayed! I've very much remembered why I thought this was the one 2 years ago and sold a good chunk of my armoury for it!

F2.jpg

14 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

I haven't put my AG5 down since the start of lockdown, and this thread was certainly part of that! How are you liking it now @funkyjimbob? What are your favourite EQ positions/combos?

I've been really digging into the EQ and, post a restring, all my doubts from my earlier post have been allayed! I've very much remembered why I thought this was the one 2 years ago and sold a good chunk of my armoury for it!

F2.jpg

Hey! That's good!

I find the preamp so powerful I have to be careful with the EQ! I play with the mid pot and bass pot just up over half way and the treble rolled off. I really don't like too hear too much treble at all when I'm playing so I have the mid range cut switch completely down for the lower mids. I absolutely love the sounds of this bass. It's absolutely killer! Playing it through a DB751 head too which is making it sound even more ridiculous! :)

1 hour ago, funkyjimbob said:

Hey! That's good!

I find the preamp so powerful I have to be careful with the EQ! I play with the mid pot and bass pot just up over half way and the treble rolled off. I really don't like too hear too much treble at all when I'm playing so I have the mid range cut switch completely down for the lower mids. I absolutely love the sounds of this bass. It's absolutely killer! Playing it through a DB751 head too which is making it sound even more ridiculous! :)

Nice! It seems most of the recognised MTD artists boost all of the EQ all the way up. That's led me to push the eq more than I ever have on any other bass, but I'm really satisfied with the tones. Bass and treble for everything pretty much live at 70-80%. I'm finding a a big mid boost for finger style at 250 (bottom pos.), same boost but at 400hz in a rockier context and then a big cut at 1k for anything slappy seem to do it for me.

I'm also playing through a 751 and 2xSL112 so -6db pad is always in when I pickup the MTD. In contrast, I find that treble roll off to be too much to the extent that it makes the tone a bit lifeless, but at the same time if it's fully boosted, the treble seems to grate. Funny how the same electronics package gets treated so differently, but probably a testament to its versatility. 

What's the wood combination on your 534?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@TJ Spicer - also loverrly! Was that the one at Bass Direct that you had your eye on. Does that mean a certain white Sad PJ5 is about to come up for sale?! 😉

Nooooo! That’s the AG5 I’ve had since 2018! I’m playing it a few hours every day right now, it’s really opening up, and sounding great. I wish the music I played wasn’t so commercial and traditional in terms of aesthetics, in a way, as I’m not sure I can get away with my AG5 on most country gigs, nor does every engineer enjoy the prospect of anything that isn’t “fender like”.  For anything else though, I don’t think it’s a problem and always gets compliments.

I will say, every MTD going up in the for sale section has me thinking! The Lynn Keller looks like it would be great for those ‘bass in the seat next to you’ short hops to European festivals (as it’ll squeeze into guitar gig bag!).

Then again, whenever I’m not gigging GAS is heightened, and it’s also a very bad time to make calls on gear. I’d like to make the MTD my go-to where I can when this resumes, but that Sadowsky is just such a reliable workhorse that’s never disappointed. I can’t complain, both phenomenal tools that keep me, and the people I work with, happy!

• Like 1