Why become a member? ×

Hello everyone! Returning to bass after a long hiatus

KhaosEmerald

Hey all! 

I'm super excited to be playing bass again after exclusively playing guitar for 13 years. I was a bassist in my teens and had a recent musical epiphany where I realised that bass was my real passion. I'm currently relearning songs I used to play, as well as finding some new ones. 

Ive just got my bass, an ibanez sr505 and I'm in love, it plays brilliantly. I'd love some song suggestions to learn, I mainly play rock/metal/funk and would love to find some gold 5 string tracks. 

In order to keep myself motivated too, I have plans to record and start a YouTube channel as a hobby. 

Also, any suggestions of bands I should check out thare relatively heavy and feature bass prominently? 

Welcome KE.

The Ibanez necks are lovely for an affordable bass aren't they?  I've got one myself, the SR605, much the same as yours except for the finish I think.

Songs for fivers... I couldn't find a lot but then I only do TAB and then only when it suits me.

I found it isn't difficult to find ways of rattling the bowels of most songs with the five.  What you might find useful is the reduction in travel along the neck for any given scale.  Because of the extra string you can find a more economical use of the fretboard and get fingering arrangements to suit your speed, so to speak.

13 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome KE.

The Ibanez necks are lovely for an affordable bass aren't they?  I've got one myself, the SR605, much the same as yours except for the finish I think.

Songs for fivers... I couldn't find a lot but then I only do TAB and then only when it suits me.

I found it isn't difficult to find ways of rattling the bowels of most songs with the five.  What you might find useful is the reduction in travel along the neck for any given scale.  Because of the extra string you can find a more economical use of the fretboard and get fingering arrangements to suit your speed, so to speak.

That's all really good advice! I work from tabs as well and will look for some fun stuff to play. 

Honestly this is the most comfortable bass I've ever played! I'm really excited to get playing properly again. Looks like I might be starting a project with my friend :)

• Like 1