Why become a member? ×

After brightening up my tone, two volumes no tone or no load tone pot ?

markdavid

On 18/03/2020 at 22:00, ikay said:

My understanding is that the signal effectively bypasses the cap when the tone is maxed (wide open). The cap only really comes into play when you start turning the tone knob down. The cap then progressively bleeds high frequencies to ground. Not so?

Yes. No.

The pickup always sees some impedance in the circuitry. If not anything else, then the amp input.

These pots, V & T, represent impedance to the ground just by being there. As they are in parallel from the pickup point of view, 2 x 250 k means a maximum of 125 k impedance to the ground (there is an analogy with speakers here). When the pots are bigger, the combined impedance is also bigger. You can do trials with 10 k and 1 M pots. Go ahead!

The circuitry with the cap (tone) is affecting the higher end of the frequency spectrum, while the vol takes everything towards ground. As the impedances (read: pots) are not infinite, some of the signal is always bled to the ground.

No load pots, not a bad idea at all.

• Like 1

When I connected a nordy mm pickup straight to a jack it sounded great but had too much treble - subsequently my mission has been to just shave off the wince making treble but leave the rest untouched - a 250k Volume pot did help a lot. I wish I understood all this better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2020 at 13:17, bloke_zero said:

When I connected a nordy mm pickup straight to a jack it sounded great but had too much treble - subsequently my mission has been to just shave off the wince making treble but leave the rest untouched - a 250k Volume pot did help a lot. I wish I understood all this better!

why not reinstall a passive tone control then?

I personally always need some kind of low pass filter to eliminate the highest frequencies. 

16 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Alternatively you could use an EQ pedal to lose the high end. 😁

To some extent, yes, but a graphic EQ does not have the LPF quality. If you want to blanket drop all frequencies above a certain point, graphic EQs are better than nothing but they're going to change the tone beyond simply taking off the high end, as it's a collection of frequency bands that you can boost/cut but do not provide a uniform field. The larger the number of bands, the better it can work, of course but your typical 6-7 bander doesn't cut it. I wish! :)

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

why not reinstall a passive tone control then?

I did, I did - I went with the passive treble and bass control from the G&L L2000.  I just found it fascinating that the volume pot would have such a huge effect as well.  I know this is old hat to you guys but coming from the world of modular synthesis I'm amazed and loving the passive electronics I'm finding out about. I just need to figure out the right cap value for the bass cut now as currrently it's frequency is a bit high.

• Like 1