Why become a member? ×

Vox Amphones, or alternatives for home practice?

Danny_777

Ladies and gents,

I've a lovely bass incoming, with the intention of upping my bass chops during this period of isolation/WFH! Realistically this will comprise learning as many Joe Dart lines as my wife can tolerate.

I'm a guitarist, so plenty of amps but nothing much good for bass. No need for an amp, per se (plus I live in a terrace), but I was thinking of getting a pair of the Vox Amphones for self-practice/learning. Howeer the reviews are pretty dire. 

Any views on the best personal practice solutions? Ideally it woudl be great to run some audio into whatever I use as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Danny_777

12 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

There are some women on the forum too.

I and many others use Zoom B1on.
powered by battery, mains, or usb.
headphone socket
aux in
tuner
drum machine + millions of effects (all of which can be ignore and bypassed)

My apologies! Edited :)

And thanks for the info!

• Like 1

From my experience Vox amphones and the headphone version are rubbish. As you are playing at home at low volume, a guitar amp will work fine, it won't be great sounding, small practice amps (bass included) never sound great, but a guitar amp is perfectly adequate in your situation. 👍

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 1

I have a pair of Vox amphones - rarely use them - I really bought them in preparation for events like the LBGS

They are what they are, a way of practicing silently, however I wouldn't recommend them. The tones you get are not representative of your basses normal tonal package.

Get a decent amp and turn the volume down if you need to.

1 hour ago, Danny_777 said:

I'm relaxed on budget, tbh.

More questions. Do you care about size/portability? Will you be wanting to use it as a recording interface too? Is iPhone/Android compatibility important to you? Will you at any stage want to use it without plugging into a mains wall socket?

Thanks for the suggestions! The solution I've gone with is the Yamaha THR10C - I had one laying around (from the days of a smaller apartment) and realised it has a bass option within its modeling. I didn't hold great hopes but it sounds fantastic - certainly more than capable for home practice. So good news as I won't have to splurge on additional gear!

Thanks again :)