Why become a member? ×

Burns Bison Bass (in Black) **SOLD**
£500

Pow_22

Burns bison bass in black (club series reissue) with hard to find Burns/Hiscox hardcase.  One of the coolest looking basses around and this one has had a fair bit of work done to get it playing as good as it looks:-

• New bridge fitted.  The original on these is notorious for its wide string spacing meaning the G and E string don’t sit over the relevant pole pieces on the pups.  This resulted in a much much quieter G & E.  This new over engineered bridge has the strings sitting perfectly and is much more adjustable that the original.  I still have the original too.

• Full ‘Advanced Set Up’ at Jacks Instrument services in Manchester.  This included a fret dress to get the action nice and low without any buzzing/choked notes.  The nut was also originally too high making the first few frets hard work, Jack recut this to a proper level.  I have the receipt and hang tag as proof of work.  This was all done literally last week!

• My fave flatwounds – a set of Elites Detroit flats to bring out the thump in this beast.

These basses were given a bit of a re-birth and reintroduction to the ‘yoot’ when Andy Bell of Oasis started using one (both the reissues and an original 1964 model I believe) in the early 2000’s.  This is my second one and I guess I fell for its looks again despite knowing that deep down all I need is a decent P bass.

Loads and loads of tonal options which is actually why im getting rid.  Im a p bass guy at heart and too many options means I spend more time knob twirling (oooh matron) than actually playing.  As such im looking to sell this to fund either one of the new Squire 50’s P basses, squire 70's p bass or to put towards my SVT II fund.

Whilst it does come with an extremely substantial hardcase id ideally like collection from Bolton or could meet up within reasonable distance. 

Pics to follow asap

Edited by Pow_22

6 hours ago, Skybone said:

Always fancied one of these, they just look ace and the three pickups should give you some interesting variations.

Something else incoming, but GLWTS.

very versatile.  They have a hollowbody vibe to the sound too as the pups are screwed to the pickguard (removing the guard brings the whole guts out in one go), they then sit in a large cavity.  Can quite easily nail the Stone Roses sound where Mani used a Ric 4005.  My fave setting is 'Bass' and the 'B' setting which uses the neck and middle pup, lovely

On 31/03/2020 at 20:55, Pow_22 said:

Would consider part ex with cash from me for an Ampeg SVT Head (classic or SVT II at push)

If you're fed up of the knob twirling on this, you'll quickly get fed up of trying to put an SVT Classic or 2 Pro in and out of your car!!! I did. Although they sound great, I've concluded that they're not practical for a jobbing musician. If I had a road crew I wouldn't hesitate but they are so flipping heavy it's untrue!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an SVT and a V4B for a while, got rid and have chased the sound ever since.  My current Peavey Valve amp is glorious but not quite an SVT.  Ive tried any number of pedals, amps, modelers but nothing comes close.  Interestingly enough the closest I DID get was actually a hybrid amp - the Mesa BB750

• Thanks 1

Just to pass the boredom I decided that even though ALL My basses wear flats id have a tinker with the bison and threw a set of Groundwounds on her.  Really opens up the growl whilst maintaining a good solid fundamental wallop to the notes.  Sounded great through my little WEM Dominator.  Can keep it like this or put the flats back on for any potential buyer.

In view of the fact that im working from home at the moment so around most days, the fact it comes with a good hardcase and finally that ive seen something on reverb - if someone can find a working courier and wants to organise it themselves im happy to work with them to get this to a UK address if needed.

On 03/04/2020 at 11:23, Pow_22 said:

I had an SVT and a V4B for a while, got rid and have chased the sound ever since.  My current Peavey Valve amp is glorious but not quite an SVT.  Ive tried any number of pedals, amps, modelers but nothing comes close.  Interestingly enough the closest I DID get was actually a hybrid amp - the Mesa BB750

I use a BB750 and agree tone is pretty close. I have had both the SVT classic & II-pro and gained a hernia 😳. In other news I would love this bass, however would need to sell my Yamaha BB1024x which I’ve done mods too before I could buy this. Good luck with the sale buddy.

• Thanks 1

Maybe trade/part ex for something small, house type but old school and valvey combo/amp.

1) Ashdown Little Bastard/Stubby

2) WEM dominator

3) Ampeg B50R/PF20

Nowt much else amp wise really. Cash still king tho

• 2 weeks later...
  • MB1 locked this topic