gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

My 20 year old car just sailed through it's MOT again and taxed it online completely hassle free  👍

• Like 2

Had my second COVID jab today 

Feeling good physically and about myself - I feel like I’ve done something for my fellow citizens - research published today shows that by having the jabs I not only keep myself safe but I reduce the possibility of carrying the virus and passing it on to others

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, denki109 said:

What car have you got?

2001 Opel Omega CDX estate,  Irmscher chipped, 2.6 V6 petrol, it's a good old barge and my son tells me the other day he saw the Omegas voted in the top 5 for drift cars 😂

image.thumb.png.2708726ad14d8ed84b4cb2e335f623fb.png

Edited by KiOgon
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

2001 Opel Omega CDX estate,  Irmscher chipped, 2.6 V6 petrol, it's a good old barge and my son tells me the other day he saw the Omegas voted in the top 5 for drift cars 😂

20 mpg?

Posted (edited)

It depends if I use it or not 😂, mostly these days it sits on the drive and the petrol evaporates more than it gets used ☺️

I don't bother checking it these days, the trip computer is never on long enough to give an average, 'cos I have a master switch on the battery, turned off while it's standing, that's about 355 days a year I reckon!

image.thumb.png.0f3db35c74d2795b4b9c6b4920ed593a.png

image.png

Edited by KiOgon
MOT mileage pic.

54 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I had an Omega estate back in the day (Vauxhall though...I think) with the 2.5 BMW diesel in. What a great car that was, especially long distance motorway! 37mpg all day in the diesel.

@KiOgon

My 09 plate diesel Peugeot 207 (1.6 HDi Sport 110BHP) struggled through its MOT on emissions - I did 2,300 miles in it last year - I do 3-4K normally. TBH it is not the right car for me at all but it was inherited last year at a time when I needed to replace an old Micra (petrol) that was not worth fixing to get it through it's MOT. Too many short journeys - I don't want to spend money on another car - it's useful when my wife has the main car stuck on the hospital car park while she's at work - she does 10-12K pa on her commute (erratic work patterns and hours). I'm wondering if there is really much I can do to keep my emissions down and get it through the emissions next year - I put Redex in, occasionally fill up with  premium fuel (although I read it's not worth it) - the garage mechanic just took it for a quick blast and it scraped through. I don't have the money for an electric and couldn't justify much of a spend based on the miles I do. 

The diesel has a lot of great attributes - I was hoping Bosch or someone else would devise a retrofittable device that would reduce the emissions problems - a few years ago I read that they were working on something to do this but I've not heard anything about it recently. TBH - I wish I didn't have the problem/dilemma of the diesel now but last year it was a free £1500 car in great condition, 1 owner from new, FSH with the main dealer, 09 plate with 46k on the clock.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

...My 09 plate diesel Peugeot 207 (1.6 HDi Sport 110BHP) struggled through its MOT on emissions...

This sounds odd, to me. My 1997 ZX diesel estate (410,000 kms...) has just passed the (French...) MOT, with a few 'mentions' about slight underbody corrosion, a couple of cracks in the rear foglamp lenses, but no problems with pollution. It's a Hot Subject here, but either my car is very, very good or the testing machine is duff. Before retirement I was doing several thousand kms/month, but for the last few years I have a twice-weekly shopping run (10kms...) and the occasional hundred or so. Is the method in the UK really so much more stringent than here in France..? For cars pre-2008, the opacité has to be less than 2.5 M -1, for later cars it's 1.5. What's the UK limit like..? :/

Edit : I've just looked it up; the standards and smoke levels are the same. There is no test of CO2 or other gases; just the smoke opacity test.

Edited by Dad3353

Posted (edited)

We will be watching the last episode of the last series of Homeland - Ep12 Series 8 - tonight

We’re not sure what life will be like without Homeland 

Edited by gareth