gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

40 minutes ago, peteb said:

The thing is that the Chinese have no interest in teaching us anything about democracy...

Whilst not lauding the Chinese System, I'm not so enamoured with Democracy, either. I've not been convinced by the ability of the Population to choose the best folks for running ... well, anything, really. This, for any and every country, and all levels, right down to Town Councils. I'd allow some leeway for Town Councils, as at least one has a chance to actually know the candidates, and they know you. If that's not the case, it's the Blind 'leading' the Blind, really.
So what's better than Democracy..? Education, for a start, and real accountability. Anyone who wants to become a Leader is, in my experience, the last person fit for such a post. Cooperation amongst individuals and neighbouring localities will do for me, with less (indeed, none...) of this National/International malarkey.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Good luck on that one. If you can cover off genocide while you're at it, that would be good.

Very well...the Chinese aren't interested in teaching anyone about "democracy".  The Chinese don't have democracy,  they are socio-capitalists. 

But what kind of democracy are you referring to?   The US kind?  The Greek kind?  . 

• Like 1

Following on from a post in the Jokes thread I've spent the last hour or so getting my head round sus chords on both Bass and Uke, with the ever patient help of @Newwiekins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf, in your defence, you may not have heard about what's actually happening in China given the free flow of internet access you enjoy over there. In which case, don't worry, it's all fine.

In my defence I think generally it's a good idea to put what we hear in mass media in the correct context. Context often gets forgotten by journalists in the interests of headline grabbing. 

Im not going to defend any country that has committed genocide. Neither the US nor China probably have a right to claim the moral high ground on that matter. The US has supported genocide in Guatemala,  covertly in Rwanda, the Biafra war in Nicaragua to name a few. It's also failed to denounce the genocide in Aleppo,  Bosnia, Bangladesh and it gave shelter to Nazi war criminals after WW2 in central America.  I have a friend with contacts in Xinjiang, they say it's an anti terrorism initiative.  But I'm fairly confident that might not be the whole truth.

Speaking of which, I recommend reading How The World Works by Noam Chomsky.  It's an enlightening summary of the US post war strategy for global economic domination, supported by plenty of  references to public record.  I think it puts US foreign policy and notions of democracy in the correct geo political context.  

There, I believe that's three paragraphs. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

In my defence I think generally it's a good idea to put what we hear in mass media in the correct context. Context often gets forgotten by journalists in the interests of headline grabbing. 

Im not going to defend any country that has committed genocide. Neither the US nor China have a right to claim the moral high ground on that matter. The US has supported genocide in Guatemala,  covertly in Rwanda, the Biafra war in Nicaragua to name a few. It's also failed to denounce the genocide in Aleppo,  Bosnia, Bangladesh and it gave shelter to Nazi war criminals after WW2 in central America.  

I recommend reading How The World Works by Noam Chomsky.  It's an enlightening summary of the US post war strategy for global economic domination, supported by plenty of  references to public record.  I think it puts US foreign policy and notions of democracy in the correct geo political context.  

On China 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/one-belt-one-road.html

16 minutes ago, gareth said:

If China wants to maintain its dominance in manufacturing,  it needs new sources of cheap labour.  And it's probably using B&RI to protect access to that labour and provide cheap export to emerging markets by building and controlling the infrastructure that supports it's needs. 

23 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Well, it was until you ruined it with that line :D

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, it was until you ruined it with that line :D

Four in total,  three in reply.  I kept my promise... honest! 😝

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Speaking of which, I recommend reading How The World Works by Noam Chomsky.  It's an enlightening summary of the US post war strategy for global economic domination, supported by plenty of  references to public record.  I think it puts US foreign policy and notions of democracy in the correct geo political context. 

Or watch 'the power of nightmares" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares 

Was a great series, a bit old now but as it documents the build up to where we got to very enlightening.

• Like 2

Africa will be the 'new China'.

Give it twenty years.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Africa will be the 'new China'.

Give it twenty years.

I don't think that China is the right analogy, but Africa could well be the new southeast Asia in twenty or so years time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just popped in to see what other people have been doing, and apparently they are running a seminar in international relations. Which is nice.

Edited by Pseudonym
This week, I have mostly been blowing my nose.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Actually, mostly garden stuff. Put together my chainsaw that I bought as it was cheap, realised I didn't have any chainsaw oil, and everything was closed, so hacked a tree down with a little saw. So tomorrow, when I get my chainsaw oil, I have nothing to chainsaw.

• Haha 3

I set up an indoor/outdoor tv antenna out my window, but I think there's too many trees.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Actually, mostly garden stuff. Put together my chainsaw that I bought as it was cheap, realised I didn't have any chainsaw oil, and everything was closed, so hacked a tree down with a little saw. So tomorrow, when I get my chainsaw oil, I have nothing to chainsaw.

When you bought the saw, you forgot the oil, but also, and even more importantly, you forgot the bucket of Patience, the contents of which come in handy all the time. Always renew the stock before it's all gone (Tip Of The Day...). ;)

I'm planing to build a green house from upcycled material. Got free carefully taken apart conservatory double glazing windows, kept our old windows doors etc. Lots of timber from roof rafters, builders wanted to put in skip. I have started on foundation, but looking out the kitchen patio door with a cup of hot coffee after less than 5 hours of sleep ( worked last night ) , nah. Too windy and horrible. Might just take a day off doing other little job. How about this months composition challenge.

• Thanks 1

Job done, but could do with getting some new O-ring seals as one or two are a bit perished. So I'll have a look in homebase when I'm in town.

Did some plumbing for my brother yesterday. There was a service valve sitting there for me to attach a ready made-up five-foot hot water pipe for the sink. Bloody thing was loose and shifted and started weeping. Ended up having to drain the whole hot water system so I could put a new olive in the valve 🤣

After fitting worktops, sink etc. realised the monobloc adaptors for the tap ended in 1/2 BSP which doesn't  work with 15mm compression fit despite sharing a thread. Poor buggers finally get a functional kitchen - but no water!

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Poor buggers finally get a functional kitchen - but no water!

Sounds like my plumbing stub 😁, I think they do a 1/2 to 15mm adapter 

On 06/04/2021 at 09:54, Reggaebass said:

Sounds like my plumbing stub 😁, I think they do a 1/2 to 15mm adapter 

Yep.

Sent my brother a link, but for 3/8 to 15mm. Sent a message saying 'don't get that get this' (1/2 to 15mm but he got the wrong ones.

Fortunately he also picked up a set of monobloc to 15mm tap hoses at the same time.

Unfortunately, the new tap has the hoses inside a long tube and hoses we go had  joints to the monobloc section that were too large to fit inside the tube...

So we went to screwfix and just to be sure got the 1/2 to 15 adapters AND 1/2 to 15mm pushfit adapters.

With some difficulty (one pipe was too close to the wall so I had to hacksaw it (we got a junior hacksaw) I got both pipes to a better length and fitted them via the speedfit adapters. Does mean the service valves are now the ones at the far side of the kitchen, but I had to cut a 50mm window in the back of a unit so I could reach them to shorten the pipes anyway.

I won't list all the stuff we did, but it includes using a 1.5 tonne car jack to move the fridge and realising it was leaning back in its carcass (me pulling 2-metre high fridge forwards while my brother debates whether the extra cardboard should go on top off or below the plastic we used as spacers to hold it upright...) Other bits included achieving an invisible 90-degree join in the worktop (thanks colourfill) and realising that the worktop dropped 2cm over its length so much desperate twiddling of adjusting feet. At least I'd got him to paint the levelled floor with PVA before this session so I didn't end up looking like someone whose been smashing 'plaster' Jamas to powder...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hastings...

Sunshine bus outing!...  Me, other half, youngest, eldest, eldests' mate and Diesel the Dog....

I had Battered Sausage n Chips in the sun and breeze followed by Coffee n Donuts!

Diesel had a paddle, a bit of my sausage and a few of my chips....

Great to be out as a family... Thought we'd get out for a simple day before the next element of lockdown ease... when the pubs open it's gonna go mad!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Hastings...

Sunshine bus outing!...  Me, other half, youngest, eldest, eldests' mate and Diesel the Dog....

Diesel had a paddle, Battered Sausage n Chips in the sun and breeze followed by Coffee n Donuts!

Great to be out as a family... Thought we'd get out for a simple day before the next element of lockdown ease... when the pubs open it's gonna go mad!

Sounds great. I’ve only been to Hastings once. The old town and beach is brill’.

Hastings is usualy a run on the bike, often with the eldest pillion.... but fun to take the dog.

Posted (edited)

I remember that one trip to Hastings, as a child (maybe 7 or 8..?). Spent the whole day, with a younger brother, at the police station, having somehow got separated from the rest of the family. :$ Our parents finally arrived, just in time for the drive back home. They say it's nice, though. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1