Jump to content
gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gareth said:

I am curious to know what has happened in the last 10 years to make you feel this way

I am the same - the UK, and especially england hit a high point in 2012 with the olympics. The austerity agenda to wind in public services hadn't kicked in properly yet and england seemed vibrant and modern. Then austerity kicked in,  immigrant bashing kicked in and then the brexit campain started to capitalise on the hate.

My wife is a Canadian, and was very happy to be here until then - but no longer wants to be here, she finds it very unpleasant now compared to how it was.

1 hour ago, gareth said:

and if the U.K. breaking up did happen as you hope it will, what would you like to see in the something better that you anticipate taking its place?

I wouldn't see anything better taking place, but honestly nothing can improve until people learn that blaming all of your problems on the others isn't going to help you fix all the problems.

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Growth of nationalism, xenophobia and an increased sense of British exceptionalism. Let’s see a united Ireland (now that it won’t come about at the point of a gun), an independent Scotland and then see if England can truly accept its place in the world and forget all of this post-imperialist nonsense.

I am 100% with that. England isn't the England of a decade ago, it has fallen a very long way and it is largely intentional.

I see the next few period as a decade of managed decline, and those things that we all took for granted growing up being stripped away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am 100% with that. England isn't the England of a decade ago, it has fallen a very long way and it is largely intentional.

I see the next few period as a decade of managed decline, and those things that we all took for granted growing up being stripped away.

Absolutely. 

There is a lot of wealth in the UK and a lot of the damage has already been done, so it won't necessarily appear to be drastic - maybe a couple of decades of gradual economic decline. The decline in political importance will be much more noticeable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, peteb said:

 The decline in political importance will be much more noticeable. 

I think so too - like us threatening china. We are not the Britain that gave hong kong back, we are just some country off the coast of europe. We are putting up a digital service tax on facebook / google etc like the EU are. America are going to impose reciprocal sanctions on our industries of the same money as the tax. They decided against doing that against the EU. I don't think the government have come to terms with their position yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woodinblack said:

I think so too - like us threatening china. We are not the Britain that gave hong kong back, we are just some country off the coast of europe. We are putting up a digital service tax on facebook / google etc like the EU are. America are going to impose reciprocal sanctions on our industries of the same money as the tax. They decided against doing that against the EU. I don't think the government have come to terms with their position yet.

We are isolated and weak. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, grandad said:

Something good about the UK.

https://qr.ae/pG8iLH

 

In truth there’s lots that is good about our country and I feel very confident about our future as an independent nation whether that is as the U.K. or England alone having separated from N Ireland, Scotland and Wales 

We are all lucky to live in the best time ever to be alive and should celebrate and enjoy this

The future is bright but as always, is what we make of it

So chin up people

Happy Easter

 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, peteb said:

an increasingly aggressive element that is constantly blaming everyone but themselves for their problems

Pretty much sums up the BLM movement in the UK. But it's much more widespread than that, and one of the reasons for our inevitable decline. We are a deeply fractured society, with everyone wanting to play the victim and blaming the 'other', whether it's brexiteers blaming the "liberal elite", remainers blaming the brexiteers, the young blaming the old, the old blaming the young, the envious blaming the rich, the well-off blaming the scroungers and chavs... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Earbrass said:

Pretty much sums up the BLM movement in the UK. But it's much more widespread than that, and one of the reasons for our inevitable decline. We are a deeply fractured society, with everyone wanting to play the victim and blaming the 'other', whether it's brexiteers blaming the "liberal elite", remainers blaming the brexiteers, the young blaming the old, the old blaming the young, the envious blaming the rich, the well-off blaming the scroungers and chavs... 

I’m surprised the hashtag #foreverthevictim is not in wider use but I suspect it’s low usage on twitter may be because much of the twitteratti are of course ........... victims ..., bless em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just enjoying a coffee after putting the folding chairs out in the sunshine. My daughters will be around for a garden picnic later. I wish everyone the Easter family joy I’m going to have today. 🌞😘

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, peteb said:

Absolutely. 

There is a lot of wealth in the UK and a lot of the damage has already been done, so it won't necessarily appear to be drastic - maybe a couple of decades of gradual economic decline. 

I think it'll become apparent in trade deals much sooner.  The UK's leverage has been severely undermined as a result of Brexit.  It's been suggested by someone I respect that Brexit wasn't an opportunity to show how people in the UK dislike the EU.  It was an opportunity for people in the UK to show how much they dislike each other.  

They also suggested that England's identity these days is based more on the achievements of individual citizens than the country as a whole.  I think the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony probably proved that quite clearly. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

My wife is a Canadian, and was very happy to be here until then - but no longer wants to be here, she finds it very unpleasant now compared to how it was.

Canada - yup it's a pretty great place all round.

20 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I think it'll become apparent in trade deals much sooner.  The UK's leverage has been severely undermined as a result of Brexit.  It's been suggested by someone I respect that Brexit wasn't an opportunity to show how the UK dislikes the EU.  It was an opportunity for people in the UK to show how much they dislike each other.  

They also suggested that England's identity these days is based more on the achievements of individual citizens than the country as a whole.  I think the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony probably proved that quite clearly. 

...but I'd be wanting fewer lessons on how to run a democracy from the Chinese right now.

This country really is not so shite - I'm privileged and happy to be first gen immigrant here. There are sooooo many places on the planet I'd rather not be than the UK (for a start my language skills are abysmal 😂). If you don't believe me, try living somewhere else. I have.

Happy Easter!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

"Sunlit Palestinian uplands"  -  that's the thing...

Fixed..? ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

............ I wondered how long it would take, problem was that it was the only image I could find that did justice to the (attempted) humour............

😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

..but I'd be wanting fewer lessons on how to run a democracy from the Chinese right now.

neither would I, and with the world the way it is, you needed strong blocks to stand up to it. China, Europe & USA are the powers to balance, with the USA having a bit of a wobble it was a shame to reduce the power of Europe.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

This country really is not so shite - I'm privileged and happy to be first gen immigrant here. There are sooooo many places on the planet I'd rather not be than the UK (for a start my language skills are abysmal 😂). If you don't believe me, try living somewhere else. I have.

me too. There are a lot worse places to live yes. That is what makes me angry, we are taking the country of my birth that has, for the whole of my life, been getting better and slamming it into reverse. I am angry because it is my country that is being wrecked for the profit of a few.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

This country really is not so shite - I'm privileged and happy to be first gen immigrant here. There are sooooo many places on the planet I'd rather not be than the UK (for a start my language skills are abysmal 😂). If you don't believe me, try living somewhere else. I have.

The obvious question is if it is such a shite country why did immigration figures show 715000 immigrants came to the U.K. in the year to 31/3/2020, most coming from non European non westernised countries???

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I think it'll become apparent in trade deals much sooner.  The UK's leverage has been severely undermined as a result of Brexit.  It's been suggested by someone I respect that Brexit wasn't an opportunity to show how the UK dislikes the EU.  It was an opportunity for people in the UK to show how much they dislike each other.  

They also suggested that England's identity these days is based more on the achievements of individual citizens than the country as a whole.  I think the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony probably proved that quite clearly. 

You are, of course, quite correct – both about trade deals and your friend’s analysis of the divisions in Britain.

Meanwhile, its back to bait and switch whenever there is talk about Britain’s problems and there are mentions of BLM and the ‘twitteratti’, etc. No mention of the lowest productivity compared to comparable nations, long-term lack of investment, unsustainable wealth inequalities, food banks, low standard of education for kids from lower income families, the declining number of people in the productive workforce, the increasingly divided population, growth of exceptionalism and nationalist sentiment, etc, etc.

But no, it’s the twitteratti and BLM…! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

...but I'd be wanting fewer lessons on how to run a democracy from the Chinese right now.

This country really is not so shite - I'm privileged and happy to be first gen immigrant here. There are sooooo many places on the planet I'd rather not be than the UK (for a start my language skills are abysmal 😂). If you don't believe me, try living somewhere else. I have.

The thing is that the Chinese have no interest in teaching us anything about democracy, they are too busy taking over the world! In little more than two generations they have made astounding inroads into eradicating poverty and created a new, affluent, middle class. Along the way they have built new cities and bought up half of Africa. This is not to mention establishing incredible scale infrastructure projects that run from the heart of China to the borders of the EU and beyond.  

The thing is that we have to come to terms with the fact that, what is soon to be the most powerful country in the world is unashamedly autocratic and has no interest in even pretending to care about democracy. Whether we like that or not is of little importance.

The UK may be in decline, but we are still very lucky not to be living in a country where there are men with machine guns outside the front door. I’m not planning to emigrate to Libya any time soon…!

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, peteb said:

The UK may be in decline, but we are still very lucky not to be living in a country where there are men with machine guns outside the front door. I’m not planning to emigrate to Libya any time soon…!

Yes we were clearly warned about Libyans with machine guns as far back as 1985...😂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

....but I'd be wanting fewer lessons on how to run a democracy from the Chinese right now.

 If I were to start rebuttal of such a misinformed statement,  it would probably need at least three paragraphs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

 If I were to start rebuttal of such a misinformed statement,  it would probably need at least three paragraphs. 

Good luck on that one. If you can cover off genocide while you're at it, that would be good.

Tbf, in your defence, you may not have heard about what's actually happening in China given the free flow of internet access you enjoy over there. In which case, don't worry, it's all fine.

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good luck on that one. If you can cover off genocide while you're at it, that would be good.

Tbf, in your defence, you may not have heard about what's actually happening in China given the free flow of internet access you enjoy over there. In which case, don't worry, it's all fine.

Unless his location is listed incorrectly I would expect that he has both significant interest and knowledge in this subject but I could be wrong 

DC4D51F6-94C4-4CD4-9228-B6E117D26A57.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...