gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

21 minutes ago, gareth said:

I know of a good councillor 😃

Much appreciated, I think I need one 😁

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Much appreciated, I think I need one 😁

Perhaps we could arrange a basschat Zoom meeting for fellow suffers with a brief talk by an expert on how to cure GAS

• Haha 1

I'll admit I've not watched the video above ^^ yet (my audio is 'on the blink' for the moment; I'll watch it later on this evening...), but I've never understood this notion of National Pride. I can see it for one's own achievements, but I don't see where the reflections of what previous folks did, either in the UK or anywhere else, shine on me, unless I was an integral part. There are great things done by great people all over the world, all the time. What matters more, I'd say, is what I've done, and be proud of that. I'll watch the video, though, and probably learn something. Will it change my view..? We'll see...  B|

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll admit I've not watched the video above ^^ yet (my audio is 'on the blink' for the moment; I'll watch it later on this evening...), but I've never understood this notion of National Pride. I can see it for one's own achievements, but I don't see where the reflections of what previous folks did, either in the UK or anywhere else, shine on me, unless I was an integral part. There are great things done by great people all over the world, all the time. What matters more, I'd say, is what I've done, and be proud of that. I'll watch the video, though, and probably learn something. Will it change my view..? We'll see...  B|

Good points and I’ll be interested to see what you think having watched it

8 hours ago, gareth said:

Just thinking I’m so glad not to have been one of Jim’s “lucky ones”

AB02EFE3-A22B-42E9-9AD5-1A588E4CC9DE.jpeg

Wow, look at the way he signs his name with the $ and £ signs .. real vulgar!

I gave birth in Stoke Mandeville hospital back when half the place was named after the man, lots of signs everywhere. All gone now, of course.

Louis Theroux's autobiography contains much afterthought into the Jimmy Savile revelations, they had spent an awful lot of time together and Louis said he struggled immensely when the news came to light. He wrote that he felt his journalistic radar and instinct had failed him at the most crucial moment, and he began second-guessing himself as a result.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gareth said:

I’m watching this and very good it is too 

to which I'd add

• Thanks 1

Well, the sound is back on my PC, so I gave the video seven minutes. I turned 70 a few months ago; I've little time left on the planet to waste with stuff of the sort. I will apparently never assimilate this notion of 'Britain', nor any other collection of persons, as being a single entity that one may manipulate. I just don't understand, intellectually, how one may say things like 'Britain lost its confidence' or 'Britain stands proud on the international stage'. To me, there is no 'Britain'; it's a very wide and varied set of peoples, permanently shifting and evolving as individuals, being born, living and dying in differing generational, economic, social and more circles. There are very few common traits between these individuals that are any different from the traits of any other person in the world, and have been thus for at least several centuries, probably much more. I do accept the notion that any one person, given enough authority by enough folks, can have an influence upon a large chunk of the population; all the more reason, to my eyes, to never give such power to anyone at all, as there are very, very few examples of that power having been used for Good in Ancient nor Modern History.
Symbols are Symbols, and should be seen and accepted for what they are, that's to say Symbols, nothing more. A flag is a piece of cloth, a crown an uncomfortable hat, a national anthem a song. They have no more meaning than that bestowed upon them by others; no problem with that until others are expected to have this same extension of meaning. For my part, I regret these things shaping the World, but can do little but observe and sigh. Britain, or what is portrayed as 'Britain' in what I watched, is far, far more than those isolated images of colonial dismantling, and Britons have no need of boosted pride, nor self-deprecation; they have their own lives to enjoy or not as entier persons, beyond the narrow confines of sensation-grabbing tear-jerking jingoistic pundits.
No, I've not watched the second video; I've a composition to think of for this month's Challenge. Far more absorbing than stuff of the sort. :|

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, the sound is back on my PC, so I gave the video seven minutes. I turned 70 a few months ago; I've little time left on the planet to waste with stuff of the sort. I will apparently never assimilate this notion of 'Britain', nor any other collection of persons, as being a single entity that one may manipulate. I just don't understand, intellectually, how one may say things like 'Britain lost its confidence' or 'Britain stands proud on the international stage'. To me, there is no 'Britain'; it's a very wide and varied set of peoples, permanently shifting and evolving as individuals, being born, living and dying in differing generational, economic, social and more circles. There are very few common traits between these individuals that are any different from the traits of any other person in the world, and have been thus for at least several centuries, probably much more. I do accept the notion that any one person, given enough authority by enough folks, can have an influence upon a large chunk of the population; all the more reason, to my eyes, to never give such power to anyone at all, as there are very, very few examples of that power having been used for Good in Ancient nor Modern History.
Symbols are Symbols, and should be seen and accepted for what they are, that's to say Symbols, nothing more. A flag is a piece of cloth, a crown an uncomfortable hat, a national anthem a song. They have no more meaning than that bestowed upon them by others; no problem with that until others are expected to have this same extension of meaning. For my part, I regret these things shaping the World, but can do little but observe and sigh. Britain, or what is portrayed as 'Britain' in what I watched, is far, far more than those isolated images of colonial dismantling, and Britons have no need of boosted pride, nor self-deprecation; they have their own lives to enjoy or not as entier persons, beyond the narrow confines of sensation-grabbing tear-jerking jingoistic pundits.
No, I've not watched the second video; I've a composition to think of for this month's Challenge. Far more absorbing than stuff of the sort. :|

Thanks for watching it

You might find David Goodharts book interesting - from what you say and your location you may identify as an Anywhere person - The Road to Somewhere: The New Tribes Shaping British Politics 

Here’s a synopsis 

Many Remainers reported waking up the day after the Brexit vote feeling as if they were living in a foreign country. In fact, they were merely experiencing the same feeling that many British people have felt every day for years. 

Fifty years ago, people in leafy North London and people in working-class Northern towns could vote for a Labour party that broadly encompassed all of their interests. Today their priorities are poles apart. 

In this groundbreaking and timely book, Goodhart shows us how people have come to be divided into two camps: the 'Anywheres', who have 'achieved' identities, derived from their careers and education, and 'Somewheres', who get their identity from a sense of place and from the people around them, and who feel a sense of loss due to mass immigration and rapid social change.

In a world increasingly divided by Brexit and Trump, Goodhart shows how Anywheres must come to understand and respect Somewhere values to stand a fighting chance against the rise of populism.”

19 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Louis Theroux's autobiography contains much afterthought into the Jimmy Savile revelations, they had spent an awful lot of time together and Louis said he struggled immensely when the news came to light. He wrote that he felt his journalistic radar and instinct had failed him at the most crucial moment, and he began second-guessing himself as a result.

I find it hard to believe anyone 'missed the signs'. My mum told me he was a well-know perve in the 1970s when I went to an event where his (estranged) brother Vince was present.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I find it hard to believe anyone 'missed the signs'. My mum told me he was a well-know perve in the 1970s when I went to an event where his (estranged) brother Vince was present.

So did she report him?

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Many people apparently knew what he was up to but felt unable to call it out. Which is presumably why it went on for so many decades. A classic case of grooming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Many people apparently knew what he was up to but felt unable to call it out. Which is presumably why it went on for so many decades. A classic case of grooming.

I can think of another form of grooming that’s been going on for decades and again no one will call it out and so it goes on and on and on .......

8 minutes ago, gareth said:

I can think of another form of grooming that’s been going on for decades and again no one will call it out and so it goes on and on and on .......

I feel like I don't want to ask what you are referring to but somehow, here I am...

11 hours ago, gareth said:

In a world increasingly divided by Brexit and Trump, Goodhart shows how Anywheres must come to understand and respect Somewhere values to stand a fighting chance against the rise of populism.”

So pretty well a lost cause then.

1 hour ago, gareth said:

So did she report him?

I don't think a mum turning up at a police station asking for the duty sergeant and announcing 'Jimmy Saville is a perve' would have got much more response than 'Tell me something I don't know, luv' back in 1978.

12 hours ago, gareth said:

"In a world increasingly divided by Brexit and Trump, Goodhart shows how Anywheres must come to understand and respect Somewhere values to stand a fighting chance against the rise of populism."

In other news, the search continues for solutions to polarisation that do not themselves construct laughably simplistic binary oppositions.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

The trouble is that everyone knew he was dodgy, but no one knew to what extent. 

I remember speaking to a guy from Leeds in a pub about 1980, when I was a teenager. He was saying that Saville was a bit of a menace to young women (but no mention of him being a paedophile) and was well known for being a thug with connections to gangsters in Leeds.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 19:32, gareth said:

I’m watching this and very good it is too 

Complete nonsense.

The film alludes to those who have said that Britain has never come to terms with losing an empire and has been seeking its place in the world ever since. That is obviously true. Leaving the EU has only forced the issue and confirmed the diminished status of the UK.

The UK is hopelessly divided and will continue to be so as it breaks up into its constituent parts. There is too much wealth in the country for it to fail completely, so we are talking about a gradual decline. I did use to have a degree of national pride, although I always accepted both the good and bad of Britain’s history and its influence on the world. However, I have now lost any pride in being English (and we are talking about England here) over the past ten years and welcome the UK breaking up in the hope that something better takes its place. This isn’t self-loathing in any way, merely loathing of people like the commentator in the film (and presumably people like you).

And now I’m watching this - the last of the three - highly recommended 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, peteb said:

I did use to have a degree of national pride, although I always accepted both the good and bad of Britain’s history and its influence on the world. However, I have now lost any pride in being English (and we are talking about England here) over the past ten years and welcome the UK breaking up in the hope that something better takes its place.

I am curious to know what has happened in the last 10 years to make you feel this way and if the U.K. breaking up did happen as you hope it will, what would you like to see in the something better that you anticipate taking its place?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, gareth said:

I am curious to know what has happened in the last 10 years to make you feel this way and if the U.K. breaking up did happen as you hope it will, what would you like to see in the something better that you anticipate taking its place?

Growth of nationalism, xenophobia and an increased sense of British exceptionalism. Let’s see a united Ireland (now that it won’t come about at the point of a gun), an independent Scotland and then see if England can truly accept its place in the world and forget all of this post-imperialist nonsense.

And as far as the ‘Demonisation of the White Working Class’, what do you expect when there is an increasingly aggressive element that is constantly blaming everyone but themselves for their problems? 

Edited by peteb