gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Are all the pubs still closed in the U.K.? 

Think so. Def in Scotland

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Until 4th July but still no live music.  What's the Bulgarian situation like?  Hoping to get back to Bansko for a bit of snowboarding in Jan...?

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I was saying that as someone who no longer frequents drinking establishments and your initial comment made me just fancy popping out for a beverage. I'm not sure if they are open actually.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If you're buying i'm on the way. :laugh1:🥃🍺

No problems mate. At less than 60p for a quadruple vodka and Coke, I'll get them in for the whole forum. 😀

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

No problems mate. At less than 60p for a quadruple vodka and Coke, I'll get them in for the whole forum. 😀

What on earth is the vodka made from?

4 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Until 4th July but still no live music.  What's the Bulgarian situation like?  Hoping to get back to Bansko for a bit of snowboarding in Jan...?

Pretty safe here competitively. It's a bit more prevalent Sofia way, and Bansko was put under 2 weeks quarantine early on, but I think it's pretty much Covid free at the minute. Although that could soon change once flights start rolling in. It's almost none existent where I live. We've only had 2 confirmed cases in the whole region since it all began, and they were people who had been travelling. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I think the one I drink is made from cannabis. 😂

The rest is made from whatever vodka is usually made from. It's only about a fiver a litre from the supermarket. A single here from the bar is a 50ml shot, whereas in the U.K. It's 25ml, so a double here is equivalent to a UK quadruple. 

Beer is about 55p a bottle / pint (Actually half litre) 

Did I mention I don't miss the UK? 😉

IMG_20200629_171721.png

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

A mate of mine from Poland bought some back -

could have powered up a Harrier with it .............

😎

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

A mate of mine from Poland bought some back -

could have powered up a Harrier with it .............

😎

You should try the local home brew Rakia. Just looking at the bottle will burn the skin off your corneas. The locals swear that's why no-one here has Covid. I'm not sure they're wrong.  😂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Did I mention I don't miss the UK?

Can't answer right now I'm packing my luggage.

• Haha 2

Even the pistes are cheap - definitely by European prices - and the aprés-ski bars/clubs in the tourist areas are cheaper than the UK 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Even the pistes are cheap - definitely by European prices - and the aprés-ski bars/clubs in the tourist areas are cheaper than the UK 

Yeah but still 5 to 10 times more expensive than the "real" local prices. 

Just had a tooth extracted

So much easier than last time and no pain at all 

Not something to look forward too but now no longer something to be feared 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had a few voddy's. Now watching Hendrix on the big screen on a hot, balmy night. Does it get any better? 

IMG_20200629_223932_089.jpg

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 16:02, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah but still 5 to 10 times more expensive than the "real" local prices. 

If you don't mind walking a few km and heading further away from the gondola then just watch the prices plummet!

Yesterday i took down the bird feeder for a full refurbishment and repaint. I changed the original pole when it rotted to good old conduit tube from my work. No rusting just needed a good clean, rub down with emery paper and 3 coats of hammerite. All the seed, peanut and fat bomb holders totally stripped, cleaned and rebuilt.  To be fair my wife regularly strips and cleans the feeders so they weren't too bad. I just put some silicone grease on the screws to make it easier to remove in future.

Going to re-position it against the stump of a Silver Birch tree i cut down a few yrs ago. Problem is that today its absolutely chucking it down and howling a gale up here. 

Was a bit funny when the birds flew in from our roof to where the feeder has been for years and they realised there was no feeder there last night and this morning.

Will definitely be back up today.

Dave

• Haha 1

Currently buying all the necessary bits and bobs to put together a period looking mid 70's natural finish maple fingerboard precision, just as a bit of a project..........

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebass456 said:

Currently buying all the necessary bits and bobs to put together a period looking mid 70's natural finish maple fingerboard precision, just as a bit of a project..........

Keep us posted with pics. Should be an interesting wee project.

Dave

Among all the usual stuff I got myself a jig saw as I build up my tools and start making my workshop usable. I've no power so everything has to be run on rechargeables.

First project will be building a large heavy duty workbench, then tidying up an old field type hen coop as a storage shed, replacing the windows blocking up the pop-holes and putting in some shelving so I can clear some of the stuff out of the workshop to make room for making stuff. Winter projects will be bird boxes.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Among all the usual stuff I got myself a jig saw as I build up my tools and start making my workshop usable. I've no power so everything has to be run on rechargeables.

First project will be building a large heavy duty workbench, then tidying up an old field type hen coop as a storage shed, replacing the windows blocking up the pop-holes and putting in some shelving so I can clear some of the stuff out of the workshop to make room for making stuff. Winter projects will be bird boxes.

Pick up a small generator 2nd hand for your power tools. You can get the "silent" ones now. Can always leave outside the building when in use.

Get yourself a decent sized one and it will be enough to power your central heating, lights and microwave during a power cut now that you are in countryside Dave.

Mine will run up to 9A worth of kit. Honda. paid £50 for it about 18 yrs ago and it still runs away when needed. I test run it every year. To be fair mains in our area has been sorted and very rarely goes off now. It helps being next to a dairy farm the supply is a high priority.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yesterday evening  I fixed the lighting circuit in our house. My daughters’ rooms were without lights. Broken neutral wire in the cable to room 1 which feeds room 2. My six year old turned to me and said “thanks dad !” - she never normally thanks anyone for anything without an electric cattle prod. (ASD). Ten year old went straight to her room this morning to read, never been able to do that since we moved in. 
I am, for the first time, a hero (of sorts)

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Keep us posted with pics. Should be an interesting wee project.

Dave

Got the neck lacquered with vintage tint nitro today - not much to see yet though.  Will try and get a pic up over the weekend.......

• Like 1

Son dropped a Honda petrol genny off when he moved, he used it for welding. It's bloody loud though. Keeping it for emergencies. One day I'll get mains into the sheds or a couple of outside sockets on the house and run a cable when I need it, lighting leaves a lot to be desired even on sunny days. If things go the way I hope I'll be able to build the shed I want next year which is why I'm reluctant to get it wired up now.

• Like 1