Left leaderboard
gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

Erindors woke me with a very poorly young chaffinch asking what to do with it, think I mumbled something about a box and went back to sleep. Rescued a concussed fledgeling Greenfinch this afternoon, was fine after some time in a box in a dark box certainly better than the Chaffinch, and returning a fieldmouse to the field. Made a dust bath with  cover to keep the 'dust' dry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Erindors woke me with a very poorly young chaffinch asking what to do with it, think I mumbled something about a box and went back to sleep. Rescued a concussed fledgeling Greenfinch this afternoon, was fine after some time in a box in a dark box certainly better than the Chaffinch, and returning a fieldmouse to the field. Made a dust bath with  cover to keep the 'dust' dry.

Our cat 🐈 grabbed a fledgling chaffinch, we rescued it - took it to @sshorepunk and his Mrs, but Jaco the Cat had done too much damage 🙁

55D391F7-1D72-4299-A462-626287F2671A.jpeg

• Sad 1

Many years ago this fellow stunned himself hitting our conservatory, not something that's happened more than once or twice in 18 years.

He came round, and I snapped this before he flew away.

578164900_Chaffinchadjusted.thumb.jpg.60c27048ab9827465e7d480dc2ccbdbd.jpg

• Like 5

Same happened with our conservatory window. 2 young birds which i think were starlings were chasing each other. One broke its neck and died instantly and the other was stunned. I picked it up and held it in my hands for a bit and it came around. I sat it on the arm of the bench next to me and put some seed and water down for it. I sat down next to it and it ate a little and had a drink, sat for a bit more looking at me and then flew off. I buried its little friend. Was a nice moment.

002.thumb.JPG.a44db5684e80599e08a2b5bc856a2e94.JPG

• Like 2

Leo has started bringing catches in live and letting them go in the house, yesterday was a field mouse today was a vole, returned the field mouse, vole sadly didn't make it. Seems to have no interest in birds whatsoever, thankfully.

Trying to come up with ideas to encourage the woodpecker.

Posted (edited)

Looking for a cassette head cleaning tape - when was the last time you did that!?

I'm making a real effort to learn Spanish at the 3rd or 4th attempt and have finally cracked the back of it and I'm now finding it a fascinating time sink - I've never got anywhere near this far before but I have some books, book/tape resources I bought from charity shops in the last 10 years that I'm now trying to use - I have one tape player in a "tiny music centre" that never gets used these days and ought be thrown out TBH but wisely I think, I had a look at the pinch rollers and the drive pins and they are covered in rust - I've tried cleaning them up with IPA and a cotton bud but they don't really look that much better - this is the sort of thing I used to do regularly in the early 80's. I'm really not confident the tape player isn't going to chew my tapes up - I'll just have to listen out for that sound of the sound being throttled and dragged down a hole when I try it - shame I haven't got any other tapes in the house to try it out on.

Edited by lemonstar
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 10:17, leschirons said:

Funny old day so far, woke up at 8.00, looked out bedroom window to check weather, cows in garden, eating plants and generally mullering the grass. Called the owner before trying to usher them out, wife and I waving sticks. Lady farmer arrives, very apologetically tells me she'll inform her insurance company about eating the plants, ripping up the bamboo and ruining the lawn, hands me a free range chicken (dead) which I've just gutted for dinner tonight. Has also said she'll drop over a  20Kg side of pork to say sorry.

Just taken off soaking clothes and having a coffee. So, apart from that, nothing much happening😂

I looked on the map for La Creuse and thought it looked close to where my sisters lives but once I'd zoomed in on google maps it turns out it's 2hrs away - France is such a massive place - she also gets the cows problem - not that often - once every couple of years maybe less but I don't think she ever gets compensated anywhere near as nicely as that. She's just outside Benest not far from Ruffec.

If the pinch roller is rubber, try meths on a lint free cloth.

.Rust on guides should shift with gentle use of wire wool

..... hope that's useful...............

😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

If the pinch roller is rubber, try meths on a lint free cloth.

.Rust on guides should shift with gentle use of wire wool

..... hope that's useful...............

😎

Old traditional way to clean cassette heads and rollers. 👍

I used to get an electronic spray at work that could be used for cleaning them with a cotton bud. I still have one tin in the house but i use it for electronics cleaning like pots and sliders and jack sockets.

Dave

Trying to raise money for the Hope centre.....

24 hours ago, this piece of land behind our barn had a pile of over-grown rocks (about 12 -15 tons in the middle of it. A real eyesore for the last 15 years.  So, what better than to make a 1 mtr deep fire pit, and place some stone seating around it for those wine filled Autumn evenings with a few friends. Just need to get the grass growing. Looks a bit Druid circle so the locals will probably think I'm sacrificing lead guitarists and drummers. Each of the four granite "seats" weighed over a ton each.

DSCN3231.JPG

• Like 7

On 08/06/2020 at 14:26, BCH said:

Trying to raise money for the Hope centre.....

Where are you geographically?

41 minutes ago, leschirons said:

24 hours ago, this piece of land behind our barn had a pile of over-grown rocks (about 12 -15 tons in the middle of it. A real eyesore for the last 15 years.  So, what better than to make a 1 mtr deep fire pit, and place some stone seating around it for those wine filled Autumn evenings with a few friends. Just need to get the grass growing. Looks a bit Druid circle so the locals will probably think I'm sacrificing lead guitarists and drummers. Each of the four granite "seats" weighed over a ton each.

Looks fab. I love a fire pit! :) Wish I had the land & space for one...
While you're at it... leave the drummer well alone, but you can sacrifice a lead guitarist or two - well, maybe the ones who just don't know when they're too loud... so they turn up all the time ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

Where are you geographically?

Northampton...NN3 ..B

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, leschirons said:

24 hours ago, this piece of land behind our barn had a pile of over-grown rocks

I've just spent the last minute trying to convince myself... "rock don't grow... I mean, there's erosion... but grow?". Then I came to the conclusion that they were once covered in biota.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BCH said:

Northampton...NN3 ..B

Too far, sadly 

See you on the Solstice 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I've just spent the last minute trying to convince myself... "rock don't grow... I mean, there's erosion... but grow?". Then I came to the conclusion that they were once covered in biota.

Yes, covered in 6ft high brambles and 2" thick Blackthorn.

Getting quotes to replace my 22 yr old boiler and radiators. Its still working but its done well to last this long.

Dave

• Like 1

Gave my son a loan of my chainsaw a while a go who let a pal borrow it. Got it back a couple of weeks ago, went to use it and it's in a hell of a state No power or light in my workshop and bench isn't really up to much also left my chainsaw tools behind so took it into the local Stihl dealer to get serviced today. TBH I'm a bit whizzed off, fortunately I won't really need it for a couple of months.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Gave my son a loan of my chainsaw a while a go who let a pal borrow it. Got it back a couple of weeks ago, went to use it and it's in a hell of a state No power or light in my workshop and bench isn't really up to much also left my chainsaw tools behind so took it into the local Stihl dealer to get serviced today. TBH I'm a bit whizzed off, fortunately I won't really need it for a couple of months.

Never lend anything to anyone Dave. Its a rule i stand by unless i'm supervising the work and able to see the item at all times. If its damaged they repair or replace it.

Judge Rinder would have a field day with that one :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mikebass456 said:

Just ordered meself a support bubble off Amazon before they all sell out soon.....

Screenshot_2020-06-10-17-22-55_kindlephoto-198471103.png

Who says evolution is a one way process...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We played our first outside gig in a few last Friday. Great weather and crowd.

FB_IMG_1592277536326.jpg

• Like 6