Left leaderboard
gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

I've still got the screen I removed from the evo Wide Glide I bought after my accident but never rode. It's in my garage, with the fittings. After I'd paid a couple of grand to have the WG just the way I wanted it, I realised that the after effects  of the accident meant I'd never enjoy riding a bike again, so it was sold. Bit of a sad way to end 40 years on two wheels, but could have been worse!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Can you get a detachable screen for your street Bob. ? Just use it for those longer runs.

I run my RK without screen on hot days. It does stop a lot of "bug" hits to your face and body :laugh1:

Dave

You can but the ones I have seen that are "quick release" look like a giant thumbnails and then vanity gets in my way. Not a big issue really just a bind on rides like this morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've still got the screen I removed from the evo Wide Glide I bought after my accident but never rode. It's in my garage, with the fittings. After I'd paid a couple of grand to have the WG just the way I wanted it, I realised that the after effects  of the accident meant I'd never enjoy riding a bike again, so it was sold. Bit of a sad way to end 40 years on two wheels, but could have been worse!

Sometimes its the best reason to stop biking and putting yourself at risk. You were lucky Dave, you're still here. 

I often think about these things when out on bike. Maybe i shouldn't.

Dave

• Like 1

I gave up when I went through a fence upside down an wrote off my bike. A very close one and medics and cops say I'm the only one who's crashed on that corner and been able to walk away, a good few have died. So decided I had too much stinky poo still to deal with to leave others to sort out the clusterf#ck I was dealing with so hung up my leathers.

Thing is I was on an IAMS ride to raise funds for blood bikes, taking it very sensibly and went into the corner way slower than I normally would.as I'd felt a wee bit of lightness due to fuel on the road a couple of miles earlier on. I just couldn't get the bike to turn it just kept running wider and a brand new Audie was coming quickly the other way and cutting the corner onto my side. Left with a head-on into the Audi or straighten up and head for the trees I reckoned at least the trees weren't moving and a bit further away. So I sat her up and gunned it, the verge had banked up to at 18" front wheel hit the bank and I went @rse over tit. I have a clear slomo memory of flying upside down still on the bike with bits of shattered fence flying in all direction, then coming to and mentally checking myself over before trying to move. Only thing I had was a slightly twisted left knee but the bike was a right off as the car had caught the gearbox, narrowly missing my left heel. For those who know the road it was the first corner off the Ken Bridge heading to New Galloway right where the guy from Edinburgh was killed on his Ducati, there's something seriously wrong with that corner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sometimes its the best reason to stop biking and putting yourself at risk. You were lucky Dave, you're still here. 

I often think about these things when out on bike. Maybe i shouldn't.

Dave

Best not to think about it when you're on the bike - just spoils the ride. I still don't remember a thing about the accident or the following two or more weeks - total amnesia. Everything I know about it is what I've been told by the other people that were there. I bust my left foot pretty badly, my right hand was a mess (still have no ability to use my middle finger, so it's been pick instead of fingers ever since) and a brain haemorrhage, which probably explains the complete lack of memory. That and the large doses of morphine I was getting at regular intervals. 

The NHS were brilliant, they put everything back together as close to the way it was as was possible. Everybody I had contact with from ambulance drivers to surgeons (that's in order of time, not importance) was brilliant. I'd just rather not have to go through it again, thank you!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Best not to think about it when you're on the bike - just spoils the ride.

I used to do around 20-25ish trackdays a year and never consciously of the consequences of a bad crash, even though I did come off a couple of times and saw people badly injure themselves. In 2009 a mate of mine was permanently paralysed from the chest down following a major off on track. For some reason this triggered thoughts in my head about what could happen and I was not able to ride the same after that. I simply was not concentrating on the riding but on what might happen. Stopped track days completely in 2012 or thereabouts.

Back on thread: just tried to have a drink in  the garden but after having to put on a fleece came back to the comfort of the computer.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 2

Watching the birds coming into the feeders putting on the air brakes to land a being whooshed rapidly backwards. I've taken most of the feeders down and chucked a load of stuff on the ground for them but they're getting blown along the ground poor little things. Wouldn't be so bad if it was just the adults but there's been a huge number of babies appear in the last couple of days and they struggle in the best of conditions.

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

First time i've used the camera and mic on my laptop and it showed its age. Poor quality VID from me as it only has a 1Mp camera. It was like watching old youtube clips when the first mobile cameras came out. 

If you're using an Android phone, or have an old one knocking about,  then check out DroidCam to replace your aging webcam.

This installs on the phone, with  client on the PC, and lets you use the phone as a webcam.  It can either be tethered on USB, or used wirelessly.  It works really well, I set one up wireless keep an eye on the cat a while back, and several guys at work use theirs as their primary webcam for work.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I used to do around 20-25ish trackdays a year and never consciously of the consequences of a bad crash, even though I did come off a couple of times and saw people badly injure themselves. In 2009 a mate of mine was permanently paralysed from the chest down following a major off on track. For some reason this triggered thoughts in my head about what could happen and I was not able to ride the same after that. I simply was not concentrating on the riding but on what might happen. Stopped track days completely in 2012 or thereabouts.

Back on thread: just tried to have a drink in  the garden but after having to put on a fleece came back to the comfort of the computer.

Brother in law (also a Harley rider) came off a quad last year and paralysed from neck down. Has some use of arms but not fingers or hands. Very limited use of arms from shoulders. 24 hr carers. It hasn't put me off my biking as we know why it happened and the cause. 

I've lost a few friends over my 40 years of biking altho some were stupidity on their part ie speeding and taking ridiculous chances and not learning from close calls and near misses. Accidents waiting to happen. That sounds a bit harsh but sometimes the truth hurts.

My younger brother of 14 yrs had a serious accident when he started biking and died at the scene. He was lucky to be saved at the scene by his mate who was following him. Air ambulance to hospital. Head injuries altho not serious but required stitches where branch went thru his helmet, broken ribs, broken arm in 2 places, broken leg where 1/2" of bone was literally missing (from what we were told it shattered with the impact. They managed to put a large rod down from hip to knee and bone grafted itself together. He is a walking scar. He fully recovered and was on a bike a year later and passed his test. Made him far more sensible on a bike. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dave moffat said:

I gave up when I went through a fence upside down an wrote off my bike. A very close one and medics and cops say I'm the only one who's crashed on that corner and been able to walk away, a good few have died. So decided I had too much stinky poo still to deal with to leave others to sort out the clusterf#ck I was dealing with so hung up my leathers.

Thing is I was on an IAMS ride to raise funds for blood bikes, taking it very sensibly and went into the corner way slower than I normally would.as I'd felt a wee bit of lightness due to fuel on the road a couple of miles earlier on. I just couldn't get the bike to turn it just kept running wider and a brand new Audie was coming quickly the other way and cutting the corner onto my side. Left with a head-on into the Audi or straighten up and head for the trees I reckoned at least the trees weren't moving and a bit further away. So I sat her up and gunned it, the verge had banked up to at 18" front wheel hit the bank and I went @rse over tit. I have a clear slomo memory of flying upside down still on the bike with bits of shattered fence flying in all direction, then coming to and mentally checking myself over before trying to move. Only thing I had was a slightly twisted left knee but the bike was a right off as the car had caught the gearbox, narrowly missing my left heel. For those who know the road it was the first corner off the Ken Bridge heading to New Galloway right where the guy from Edinburgh was killed on his Ducati, there's something seriously wrong with that corner.

Just google mapped the bridge and corner and you were very lucky there Dave altho lot of brush before the trees so maybe that cushioned the flight a bit. Of course maybe the brush wasn't there when you had the accident.

Dave

Funny old day so far, woke up at 8.00, looked out bedroom window to check weather, cows in garden, eating plants and generally mullering the grass. Called the owner before trying to usher them out, wife and I waving sticks. Lady farmer arrives, very apologetically tells me she'll inform her insurance company about eating the plants, ripping up the bamboo and ruining the lawn, hands me a free range chicken (dead) which I've just gutted for dinner tonight. Has also said she'll drop over a  20Kg side of pork to say sorry.

Just taken off soaking clothes and having a coffee. So, apart from that, nothing much happening😂

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Funny old day so far, woke up at 8.00, looked out bedroom window to check weather, cows in garden, eating plants and generally mullering the grass. Called the owner before trying to usher them out, wife and I waving sticks. Lady farmer arrives, very apologetically tells me she'll inform her insurance company about eating the plants, ripping up the bamboo and ruining the lawn, hands me a free range chicken (dead) which I've just gutted for dinner tonight. Has also said she'll drop over a  20Kg side of pork to say sorry.

Just taken off soaking clothes and having a coffee. So, apart from that, nothing much happening😂

The joys of country life. Cows got out the field next to me once but they wandered off down thru the village and not into gardens. Worst i've had was when farmer forgot to put his electric fence on when he let cows into field next to me and they were leaning over the garden fence eating my plants. They can do a lot of damage if they get into your garden. I called farmer and he put fence on right away. Not enough damage to worry about.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

The joys of country life. Cows got out the field next to me once but they wandered off down thru the village and not into gardens. Worst i've had was when farmer forgot to put his electric fence on when he let cows into field next to me and they were leaning over the garden fence eating my plants. They can do a lot of damage if they get into your garden. I called farmer and he put fence on right away. Not enough damage to worry about.

Dave

It's mainly the grass behind our gite that's the problem. We've got the first holidaymakers coming in a few weeks and now it's full of hoof holes. They've also ruined a Magnolia tree and our Bamboo (apart from dropping a ton of sloppy pooh everywhere. As you say, it's just life in the country and there's certainly worse things to worry about. Still, I'll have a couple of months worth of pork to eat.🤭

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just google mapped the bridge and corner and you were very lucky there Dave altho lot of brush before the trees so maybe that cushioned the flight a bit. Of course maybe the brush wasn't there when you had the accident.

Dave

yeah very lucky, I was headed towards New Galloway, wasn't any brush just the post and rail fence I went through, was fit enough to go back and fix the fence the next day making sure it had breakaway sections. The surface on that corner is a bit flaky as well.

First thing I did at my last place when I saw them putting young cattle into the neighbouring field was add an electric wire along the top of the fence powered from a mains energiser. Fortunately the fields round the new place are on Summer Lets for hay/silage. They'd have to re-fence the whole lot for cattle. but I might offer to do the one out front myself as it's utterly shagged and to my mind an eyesore. I'll do the work if they supply the materials.

22 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

yeah very lucky, I was headed towards New Galloway, wasn't any brush just the post and rail fence I went through, was fit enough to go back and fix the fence the next day making sure it had breakaway sections. The surface on that corner is a bit flaky as well.

First thing I did at my last place when I saw them putting young cattle into the neighbouring field was add an electric wire along the top of the fence powered from a mains energiser. Fortunately the fields round the new place are on Summer Lets for hay/silage. They'd have to re-fence the whole lot for cattle. but I might offer to do the one out front myself as it's utterly shagged and to my mind an eyesore. I'll do the work if they supply the materials.

Usually its the animal owners or farmers that have the responsibility of looking after fences. They have a legal responsibility to install electric fencing or secondary fencing to prevent damage to peoples property. The electric fence should be 0.5m from main fence. Might be worth talking to land owner

On some missives for houses it can state you are responsible for repairing fences thru normal wear and tear but not animal damage.

Dave

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Usually its the animal owners or farmers that have the responsibility of looking after fences. They have a legal responsibility to install electric fencing or secondary fencing to prevent damage to peoples property. The electric fence should be 0.5m from main fence. Might be worth talking to land owner

On some missives for houses it can state you are responsible for repairing fences thru normal wear and tear but not animal damage.

Dave

Mm - having lived 'in harmony' with a number of farmers, I find they can get a bit spiky when told of their responsibilities - softly, softly.............

😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Mm - having lived 'in harmony' with a number of farmers, I find they can get a bit spiky when told of their responsibilities - softly, softly.............

😎

Definitely ......should always be approached delicately or suggestively in a nice way rather than an order. I'm friends with the farmer so it would be easy enough for me.

Dave

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

As a (small size) landowner, I have the responsibility for not only the fences but also the upkeep of a public footpath on the land and gates thereto. I also have to buy third party liability insurance in case any member of the public trips or slips or gets hit by a falling tree etc. Via a legally drawn up grazing lease I make the farmer who leases the land for his sheep, take responsibility for the upkeep of the land but also the fences if due to damage by his sheep.

• Like 1

Born raised on a farm and farmed cattle and sheep until 2013 then helped my son out so I'm familiar with both sides of the fence. Livestock work never ends especially if you're planning on doing anything, renters will always bodge repairs in the cheapest quickest way possible (it's not their land), Modern fencing material is utter shite and you'll be lucky if half the posts haven't rotted through after 5 years, some of them will snap as you put them in the ground. Cattle will rub scrath and lean over fences, hence why I always put an electric along the top (I never use barb, hate the stuff) and put plenty of warning signs on it. Sheep need rylock netting which they'll make saggy by scratching and rubbing if you don't put a strong single plain wire along the middle. Livestock will ALWAYS find a way to escape, usually at 2am on a Sunday morning. I know the old dear who owns the surrounding fields so she is'nt going to fence it and if she did she'd just get a contractor to do it on the cheapest quote so I'm better of doing it myself and doing it right, I've still got all the tools.

• Like 2

Our lady farmer who owns the cattle is lovely. She immediately offered us her insurer's details but how do you put a cost on hoof marks. Okay, we lost a few plants but nothing serious. She's good to keep in with as she owns all the land surrounding us but we never give her a hard time anyway and most of the past problems have been down to the local  "Chasse" leaving her gates open.  We all have to just live together. Cows 'n' all.

• Like 2

Recorded a version of Scar Tissue for a mate last night who’s doing Lockdown covers of some of his childhood favourites.

And still painting the driveway fence - which out of everything I’ve done on the house in lockdown has been the biggest pain in the backside.

about 10 more slats to do - untreated (well, hasn’t been done in years) dried out wood - is just soaking the paint up. And it’s a bleedin long driveway.

• Like 1