gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

We've had some concerns already about Zoom re. data privacy. Clients seems to love it though... like Skype has become 'old hat' (it is admittedly much better than Skype). We ran a conference last week using Zoom: 200 participants, was less of a nightmare than I'd expected and actually worked quite well. Saved a few air miles, at least.

You should get your clients to read this and this and then maybe they won't be so keen to run it on their computers any more.

Also, unless it has been significantly revised recently, the EULA for WhatsApp is incompatible with the EU GDPR, so if you use it for business communication you could be letting yourself in for a whole lot of legal pain regarding (lack of) data protection.

Edited by BigRedX

8 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

That’s funny. I will use that later and claim it as my own!

Ha. I told my wife about this ‘hilarious’ comment...

She replied “d*ck”.

So thanks for this - made me feel ok again.

• Haha 1

Myself and Mrs Bassbiscuits are both supposed to be working from home and somehow caring for a three year old and an eight year old at the same time. 

Obviously it doesn’t work to plan at all. My work tends to be more ‘real time’ and hers a bit more working ahead of herself so we try to do a tag team and swap whenever there’s a lull, tho realistically this week I’ve been stuck on the phone most of the last three days anyway while hearing her trying to separate two feral kids from battering each other. 

My turn to referee the kids tomorrow and give her half a chance to do some work. We’ve got no alternative tho, and we’ll get thru it.

I’ve been reading lots in the evenings to calm my brain as I can’t face any more screen time (apart from writing this).

Starting to get used to it tho. Luckily. 

On 30/03/2020 at 14:31, Newfoundfreedom said:

First grass cut off the year today. 

May as well make the place look tidy. 

If I've got to isolate, there are worse places I could be. 😉

IMG_20200330_162733.png

IMG_20200330_162715.png

I cut my grass two weeks ago, looks like it needs doing again along with tons of cutting back. I need to get rid of a massive pile of green. Only so much I could burn in the garden.

• Like 2

Same as before, work, gardening and landscaping around my house, other commitments and only leaving my house for work. 

Bit of a bummer that local tips are closed to get rid of garden waste. Limits the amount of work we can do in our gardens

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Bit of a bummer that local tips are closed to get rid of garden waste. Limits the amount of work we can do in our gardens

Dave

Yep, I fill up the garden waste bin every fortnight but the pile is not getting any smaller and I keep adding to it. At least I utilised a large fir tree, plenty of wood. First time in my life, I burnt garden waste in an incinerator bin last night. Feel bad about it. Our local tip started charging , so this will probably increase fly tipping.

• Like 1

I've got one of those dusty bins with holes in it for burning garden waste but last year it burnt a big black spot on my grass even tho it was sitting on a wooden platform i made. Usually i monitor it with my hose to cool down the wood and grass below it but went in for a quick coffee and came out wood had burned thru and grass was burnt. Now recovering on its own. :D

Well I'm still getting over a nasty virus... (who knows until they test everyone, but likely just a bad cold), so taking things steady for a bit.  However, I'm still working part time on our dairy farm, but have a bit of extra time as my grand-daughter isn't coming round 2 days a week as normal. Hence I am able to sit and chat on this while I busy myself with making butter, ice cream, anything to use up some of the cream that we have left over at the moment with all the tea rooms and coffee shops being shut. 

Plenty of time for bass practice, listening to music and knitting (my other hobby, you couldn't make it up!).  

Feeling lucky to be able to get outside on the farm regularly.

The picture isn't recent, but it gives you and idea.

20190420_060651.jpg

• Like 3

Here's some ideas for getting used to a new stay at home routine, (seriously):

• Don't imagine that this is somehow going to be over 'in a few weeks' - that would be nice, but unlikely.
  • Keep a regular structure to your day as far as possible.
  • If you're a shaver, then keep this up. Makes a facemask fit more snugly too.
  • Try and have distinct periods where you and other members of the household keep apart from each other.
  • Plan ahead for your once-a -week shop in minute detail - menus etc
  • Check on neighbours - a note through their door will do.
  • Try and do some exercise at a set time each day - there's loads of stuff on Youtube to work with, or go for a walk/jog.
  • Play bass along with your favourite band/bass player and fantasise you're actually doing a gig. 🙂
  • Like 4

I have a big plan of training, long walks and trying keep to some sort of a routine as mentioned above.

Unfortunately both my wife and I have been ill since the middle of last week. For someone who thinks nothing of getting up at 5am on a Saturday and climbing a mountain, I found myself going up the stairs on all fours yesterday.

We've been keeping in touch with the family using Whatsapp video calling.

The other day we made a variation of madeira cake using ingredients that we had in the house - plain rye flour, truvia plus the usual ingredients. It was really nice, technically not madeira but still enjoyable.

I've been playing bass most days as well which is most unusual as i never get my bass out between gigs, even if there are months between dates.

Pretty much settled into our routine at Casa Sprackers.  There's just Mrs S and I at home.  Up at 7-7:30.  Breakfast, check the news headlines.  Then a 2 hour, 9 or so km walk - we are blessed to have a series of public footpaths within very easy walking distance of home.  Back for stretching and exercises.  Light lunch and dinner prep.  Gardening - I have about half an acre and there is always a decent amount to do, especially while the council are still collecting garden waste. Mrs S goes shopping on a Monday, I'll be doing the meds run for my older sister and her hubby who are both in the '12 Week Club'.  Not playing a lot of bass, tbh.  All subject to review in case of bad weather.

As with Paul S, just about getting used to the quarantine routine.  Keeping to a 'roughly' 8-4 work pattern, dog walk, etc.  Closing down the council dumps along with terminating the (paid for) garden waste bins hasn't helped the gardening effort, though my 2 daughter's huskies (temporarily residing with us due to flood damage) mean that gardening is pretty pointless.

The main casualty has been the close down of the gig diary, weekends are now pretty weird due to that.  Fortunately I had been working on putting an astrophotography rig together, while it isn't fully complete I feel the need to try and do something with it over the coming days... 

WO GT81.jpg

• Like 3

Due to a household member being on the 'at risk group' I actually started self isolating over 1 month ago. :-o

I've been trying to learn bass guitar (one I found in the attic and dusted down) - It seems in pretty good shape - though it's a bit heavy - no working amp as yet either - so playing 'unplugged' which is probably a bit weird.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I bought one of the incinerator things from Lidl , great for drying out and burning weeds .

Busy building a compost heap from a couple of pallets sourced from the local industrial estate , hopefully all the grass cuttings will taken care of that way .

Newfoundfreedom , your place looks great , I work with a woman from Slovakia and she always telling me about her country , how much more simple    /uncomplicated her life was .

• Like 1

I'm working from home, to keep things as normal as possible for our front line staff who are key workers.  As an organisation we're very well set up for remote working - Google Hangouts works extremely well, and we've used it for ages.  In fact I would typically work from home at least one day every week anyway, so it's just more of the same.

That said, my work has become a lot quieter.  Yesterday was very unusual in that I had a whole day's worth of stuff to do - usually I'm pretty much done by midday and just keep an eye on e-mails and scheduled meetings for most of the afternoon.

No kids, no other half, just a cat...who has yet to learn that breakfast is no longer at 6.30 now that I don't have to commute to work

So in answer to the OP, the house is a lot cleaner and tidier because I'm not waiting for the weekend to do everything.  I'm listening to a lot of music as I work most mornings, with afternoons largely free to watch stuff blu rays/Netflix, etc.  I have one of my guitars propped next to where I am working - so far I've spent most time playing my 7 string, to get more used to playing that (in practice it has told me that 1.  I need to change the gauge of the low B; and 2.  I really want to change the pickups)

I don't miss the daily commute, but I am having to make time to read books, which would normally be done on the train and tube.  And I miss the daily walk to the station, not for the walk itself, but for some exercise

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Pretty much settled into our routine at Casa Sprackers.  There's just Mrs S and I at home.  Up at 7-7:30.  Breakfast, check the news headlines.  Then a 2 hour, 9 or so km walk - we are blessed to have a series of public footpaths within very easy walking distance of home.  Back for stretching and exercises.  Light lunch and dinner prep.  Gardening - I have about half an acre and there is always a decent amount to do, especially while the council are still collecting garden waste. Mrs S goes shopping on a Monday, I'll be doing the meds run for my older sister and her hubby who are both in the '12 Week Club'.  Not playing a lot of bass, tbh.  All subject to review in case of bad weather.

Paul did you know you can get pharmacies to deliver medications ?

You have to twist their arms a bit but they will do it 

I order my meds through my gps online site, they send prescription to my nominated pharmacy and they deliver it to me

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

A bit more work in the garden today. Now sitting out in the sunshine having my first beer in months. Luvverly! 

IMG_20200403_160438_833.jpg

STOP IT YOU :laugh1::drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've got one of those dusty bins with holes in it for burning garden waste but last year it burnt a big black spot on my grass even tho it was sitting on a wooden platform i made. Usually i monitor it with my hose to cool down the wood and grass below it but went in for a quick coffee and came out wood had burned thru and grass was burnt. Now recovering on its own. :D

I bought a new one at Aldi . It was nice and shiny , not anymore after yesterday. I don't know if flames were meant to come out the top of the lid and side holes. Shame I didn't take a photo, would have been a nice pic for composition challenge.