gareth

So ..... what’s everyone doing

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

well I live on my own and my partner being slavish follower of the rules is saying we shouldn't see each other, which, to be honest, is better than being cooped up together 24/7, there may be a bit of a baby boom in 9 months, but I suspect, the divorce courts will be busier than the maternity wards

If we get out of this without baby 5 I’ll be ok...

Financially only just recovering from Iris who’s 2 this week.

I wanted to get the snip in the summer holidays. But looks like it’s unlikely to happen.

Also, there’s a very long back story as to why we’d never say never.

Divorce isn’t on our menu.

F4A2C5E1-9CB2-4ED5-A466-6CA8FBBD51C0.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

must admit I'm slightly enjoying the lock down at the moment, I'm on my 4th pint listening to some music (Beatles and the Undertones) and trying not to be too controversial on basschat

I suppose I’m in the 'least affected/inconvenienced' group', being retired.  We are doing a good few catch up jobs, such as decorating, using stuff we had bought but not yet used (the mañana syndrome).  Basically we’re keeping to the rules.  

Having been married or 46 years, we’ve learned how to get along with each other, so hopefully the divorce court isn’t beckoning - nor is the maternity ward for that matter!

Do miss actual hugs from the grandchildren though, virtual hugs aren’t the same.

• Like 1

Apparently I’m business critical so cannot be put out to grass - hmm. All the stuff I do  iA fully documented so not sure why someone can’t mind the shop 

I’m so busy at home I don’t know how I found time to work ! 

Ive finished at least 5 jobs that were at least 15 years overdue

dug and planted up 2 new built raised beds having built cloches from old conservatory roofs 

cut, scarified and reseeded the lawn

honing my culinary skills

learning to paint/draw digitally

lurking on too many websites

overthinking too much 

eating too much

checking on works emails, messages , bank accounts :( and the lads

And that was just yesterday :)

today I will put some attention to this and do some plinky plonking 

All welcome B|

7 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

...and do some plinky plonking ...

No, stick to the music stuff; you wouldn't want to go deaf, now would you..? :|

• Haha 1

Being retired life under Lockdown is pretty much the same as before except I only go out to the Supermarket once a week, until I can get a home delivery, but am walking the dogs further and further each day. 

We were about to move house in April however that has been put on hold as the day we signed the contract we were told that the buyer wanted to delay things so we are stuck in limbo with half the house packed up and no jobs to do so I get my basses out and play some favourites.  Also trying to learn to read and attempt to slap but it's not going well, still early days.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

If we get out of this without baby 5 I’ll be ok...

Financially only just recovering from Iris who’s 2 this week.

I wanted to get the snip in the summer holidays. But looks like it’s unlikely to happen.

Also, there’s a very long back story as to why we’d never say never.

Divorce isn’t on our menu.

F4A2C5E1-9CB2-4ED5-A466-6CA8FBBD51C0.jpeg

If you can’t get the snip done, there is always this method. 😀

64363F05-0DC9-4DA9-B575-0C9336FF1BE6.png

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steantval said:

She clanks 2 together when new basses arrive 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, steantval said:

Mind your thumbs though....

• Haha 1

I moved in with my girlfriend for isolation. She works in legal and is just working from home 9-5, whereas I've only got little bits of work as gigging is my main income, though my local pub I'm entertainment manager for so we're all behind the scenes sorting out live streams to put on our page to still entertain the masses and help our acts out a bit. 

So far I've fully cleaned and detailed (extreme cleaning / polishing) her stepdad's car, and the next one on the list is her mum's car. We've got our exercise in as well as she lives pretty much on a greenbelt, so ten minute walk out of the door and we're in the countryside. Same with where I live to be fair! 

Other than that, not much has really happened. She's looking at me enviously whilst I'm still in a dressing gown in bed on my laptop whilst she's taking business calls :lol: 

My wife and I split childcare. I do the mornings at work she does the afternoon. We take them in the garden, do crafts, cooking - all the classic stuff. I ordered a trampoline but Asda only delivered half of it. I don’t have the patience to call them just yet.

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

My wife and I split childcare. I do the mornings at work she does the afternoon. We take them in the garden, do crafts, cooking - all the classic stuff. I ordered a trampoline but Asda only delivered half of it. I don’t have the patience to call them just yet.

So did you get the Tramp Or Lean? 

sorry.

• Haha 3

Retired and erindors working from home. Planning to move house soon so lots of sorting out and packing. Yesterday was the first time I've picked up an instrument in about a week, planning to do about an hour today.

I've finally started clearing the bottom of the garden which was due to be done in the summer, a new rotovator turned up yesterday so that'll keep me busy for a bit. 

I've also re-started two bass refinishes which stalled as I'm about to paint the one that is one track, so I may as well do all three together. 

Also very lucky that I live in a village on the edge of Bodmin Moor so I can go for walks pretty much as and when I want. Last walk was five miles without seeing one person or having to touch anything. 

Also just relaxing for a bit which I really need. 

• Like 1

My normal routine would be to stay at home, lock the gate, enjoy my own land and surroundings, and have as little contact with the outside world as possible.

Now, what's this "lockdown" you speak of? 

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

So did you get the Tramp Or Lean? 

sorry.

That’s funny. I will use that later and claim it as my own!

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

My normal routine would be to stay at home, lock the gate, enjoy my own land and surroundings, and have as little contact with the outside world as possible.

Now, what's this "lockdown" you speak of? 

That will be my routine once we move after I've installed the electrified gates and unleashed the guard chickens.

• Like 1

I'm NHS and working from home, it's all conference calls and change controls (zzzz). This is day 17 and it is all blurring into one. 

Working as normal from home. Listening out for war-cries form the pent-up savages downstairs (aged 8 and 4) as they fight each other like the feral kids from Mad Max 3 (the crap one with Tina Turner) and generally drive my wife crazy. Ok, crazier.

Also trying to fend off multiple Zoom meetings each day. I'm honestly seeing more of clients now than I ever did before... "Why send your message in a short and convenient email, when you can soil my laptop screen with your grinning mug and waste a good half hour of my day!?"

Honestly, being a sociopath* I'm quite well suited to social avoidance.

*not my day job.

• Like 3

Mrs. LBM and I both retired with no kids so our lives are thankfully not hugely disrupted (for which I feel very fortunate). Shopping has been a bit of a mission (same as everyone else I guess) although we have made a particular point of not overbuying anything, and are trying very hard to shop as normally as possible (perhaps a wee bit more than normal in the freezer to avoid having to shop more than absolutely necessary). Did our main shop yesterday, and the signs are that - around these parts at least - stocks of high-demand items are beginning to appear on supermarket shelves again.

I'm not big on car cleaning and polishing, but plans are afoot to break out the Karcher and give ours a bit of a once-over. Not big on gardening either, but mowed the lawn the other day - local council has suspended garden waste collection UFN, so the bin bags are going to start stacking up soon enough. If that turns out to be the biggest ballache of the year though, we'll have done extremely well.

We haven't lived here all that long, so we're taking the opportunity to explore the local area (which turns out to be picturesque, mostly rural and really rather pleasant). Also, given our current situation there are plenty of things to do around the house so we should be able to keep ourselves reasonably busy for a while yet.

I'm finding time to reacquaint myself with my guitars and basses. I don't play professionally any more so most of them have become a bit neglected. No particular aims or regimes to follow, I'm just enjoying having them in my hands again. A lot of what I play is highly improvisational these days (I don't have any pressure to learn songs, and have always enjoyed making stuff up as I go along), so I'm actively toying with the idea of getting a half-decent looper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steantval said:

It only hurts if you get your thumbs caught between the bricks👍

13 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Also trying to fend off multiple Zoom meetings each day. I'm honestly seeing more of clients now than I ever did before... "Why send your message in a short and convenient email, when you can soil my laptop screen with your grinning mug and waste a good half hour of my day!?"

You should do what I do, which is to claim that the EULA of these various invasive communications apps are incompatible with an NDA you have had to sign for another client (actually if you have had to sign any serious NDA for work purposes you would almost definitely find that the T&Cs of apps such as Zoom, WhatsApp etc will be in violation of it - especially if you do business with companies and organisations in the EU) and therefore you are unable to install and use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You should do what I do, which is to claim that the EULA of these various invasive communications apps are incompatible with an NDA you have had to sign for another client (actually if you have had to sign any serious NDA for work purposes you would almost definitely find that the T&Cs of apps such as Zoom, WhatsApp etc will be in violation of it - especially if you do business with companies and organisations in the EU) and therefore you are unable to install and use them.

We've had some concerns already about Zoom re. data privacy. Clients seems to love it though... like Skype has become 'old hat' (it is admittedly much better than Skype). We ran a conference last week using Zoom: 200 participants, was less of a nightmare than I'd expected and actually worked quite well. Saved a few air miles, at least.