Why become a member? ×

COVID stuck-at-home playlist - off the wall suggestions to take you beyond your usual areas of listening

Clarky

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I've ended up listening to lots of cover versions of known bands by other known bands but done in the coverees style, does that make sense? No? I thought not. 😄

Here's what I mean. Here's Black Sabbaths 'War Pigs', an absolute belter from Sabbath. 

Now Cake have a complete sound of their own, unmistakable, and this is their take on War Pigs. The timings seem odd at first but totally works in that 'Cake' style, and the pumping bass from the off really drives it. 

Here's another, Bill Haleys 'Thirteen Women', a slightly risqué topic given the era. 

And this is The Renegades version. A superb slice of sixties garage rock. Such an enjoyable version which I feel is way ahead of its time, the sound, the hair and the video. Apparently this band were huge wherever The Beatles couldn't, wouldn't, or didn't play. This is the best version soundwise on YouTube and has a little bonus cover afterwards in the form of Vince Taylors 'Brand New Cadillac', so guess where we go next? 

Vince Taylor and his Playboys, Thirteen Women 

Which we all know was covered in grand style by the The Clash on their London Calling album. Quite similar in style but unmistakably The Clash, although I've never really felt it fitted on the LC album, but I digress. Enjoy 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

Now Cake have a complete sound of their own, unmistakable, and this is their take on War Pigs. The timings seem odd at first but totally works in that 'Cake' style, and the pumping bass from the off really drives it. 

Great choice, Gabe Nelson is one of my favourite bass players and Cake are a superb band ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Great choice, Gabe Nelson is one of my favourite bass players and Cake are a superb band ...

You just know that Vibraslap's coming, even if you've never heard the song. 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 20:23, Clarky said:

And some wonderful nuevo flamenco mixed with Celtic music (yes it does exist) from Vicente Amigo: the fabulous Tierra (my most played album of thelast few years)

If you like a bit of Flamenco gone off piste then have a listen to Omega (on Spotify). Mix of Enrique Morente's traditional Flamenco with the lyrics of Leonard Cohen and Spanish Poet Federico Lorca, plus a rock band Lagartija Nick thrown in for good measure. Very weird, but I've loved this album for a long time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

If you like a bit of Flamenco gone off piste then have a listen to Omega (on Spotify). Mix of Enrique Morente's traditional Flamenco with the lyrics of Leonard Cohen and Spanish Poet Federico Lorca, plus a rock band Lagartija Nick thrown in for good measure. Very weird, but I've loved this album for a long time. 

Odd for sure but really interesting and with main man Vicente Amigo on guitar. Going to take a listen to the whole album, thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Me and my kids have a practice playlist of about 24 tunes that we are adding to.

they play sax and clarinet.

We play it on a big screen and can then read the notation. It’s big band arrangements of various tunes.

Help yourself if you like!