Why become a member? ×

COVID stuck-at-home playlist - off the wall suggestions to take you beyond your usual areas of listening

Clarky

We are all going to be spending a great deal of time at home in the immediate future - we can all go back to our tried and trusted music for listening purposes, whiling away the hours/days/weeks. So how about heading beyond our comfort zone and trying something new? If you are a metal/rock fan, maybe try some jazz or folk for example - and vice versa. If you are a jazz fan, you are obviously @Bilbo but probably a closet metaller (as the great man clearly was, based on his recent thread).

Lets have some suggestions please.

Let me start with a slightly psychedelic-tinged folk style album in a John Martyn stylee (with some nice double bass playing). Ryley Walker's 2015 album, Primrose Green

And some wonderful nuevo flamenco mixed with Celtic music (yes it does exist) from Vicente Amigo: the fabulous Tierra (my most played album of thelast few years)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great idea! Kind of fell into it by accident earlier today. Figured it was finally time to give Mark Sandman a good listen, so I just queued up all of the Morphine albums into a playlist on Amazon Music HD. Really happy I did!

Por ejemplo

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

Great idea! Kind of fell into it by accident earlier today. Figured it was finally time to give Mark Sandman a good listen, so I just queued up all of the Morphine albums into a playlist on Amazon Music HD. Really happy I did!

Por ejemplo

Good stuff - Morphine are a great band and criminally underrated. 

I've got spotify blaring out Part Chimp radio, if you're interested in a bit of noisey, post rock riffage then give it a listen. 

Here's a live sesh of South London's finest themselves as a taster.....

• Like 3

Great thread Clarky.  It complements the Covid themed thread nicely.

I've got some interesting links from this thanks.  Let me drop this one by way of a contribution:

This is what turned me onto the proggy/fusion trail in the seventies just as I hit puberty.

• Like 2

If I end up stuck at home for too long, I might have start listening to music well outside my comfort zone - perhaps live Grateful Dead recordings from the late 80s and early 90s instead of the late 60s and whole of the 70s that are my usual choice. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

If I end up stuck at home for too long, I might have start listening to music well outside my comfort zone - perhaps live Grateful Dead recordings from the late 80s and early 90s instead of the late 60s and whole of the 70s that are my usual choice. 

Don't overstretch yourself now will you?  Heeheehee.

I've enjoyed a lot of @Dad3353's GD links recently.  I had been meaning to give the Dead a fair listen to for a while having missed out on them first time around.

Good stuff.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Recommend these Dutch chaps, proggy, atmospheric and quite groovy. Strangely, I first heard them when I walked into the bar of my local pub - which only rarely has music - and Sky Architect were playing in the corner (I say corner, they took up half the bar!)

And from almost the opposite end of rawk, these Bristolians have a new and different sound!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Great thread Clarky.  It complements the Covid themed thread nicely.

I've got some interesting links from this thanks.  Let me drop this one by way of a contribution:

This is what turned me onto the proggy/fusion trail in the seventies just as I hit puberty.

Very nice! Ripped from vinyl. A bit scratchy, like an Underslunky!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1