Why become a member? ×

Any experiences with an ashdown pi bass 240?

KhaosEmerald

I can't find much at all about these online but I'm after a small, lightweight setup and figure this might work well with a decent cab. 

They seem to be fairly uncommon to come by but I have the chance to pick one up for 120 notes. I'm mainly concerned with versatility and tone, as it will mainly be for playing at home. 

Only other options I've seen are a bh250 or a rumble 200 head, but I like the ashdown stuff so trying to find out about this head! 

I don't think there'll be any issue with versatility or tone on offer, it just won't be all that loud.
Class D has come a long way since those amps, and still has a long way to go yet I think, but for home use, and smaller gigs I think it'd be pretty good.
Remember, the max load is 8 ohms, so you'll only be able to hook up one 8 ohm cab, but it puts out it max wattage at 8 ohms.

For the money, I'd have an Ashdown over any of those others, especially the TC!

Eude

10 minutes ago, eude said:

I don't think there'll be any issue with versatility or tone on offer, it just won't be all that loud.
Class D has come a long way since those amps, and still has a long way to go yet I think, but for home use, and smaller gigs I think it'd be pretty good.
Remember, the max load is 8 ohms, so you'll only be able to hook up one 8 ohm cab, but it puts out it max wattage at 8 ohms.

For the money, I'd have an Ashdown over any of those others, especially the TC!

Eude

Thanks for the response! 

I realise it isn't the biggest or best, but I plan to DI it if I ever get to gigging again so I'm not too concerned about the wattage for now as I'm mostly playing at home and recording covers. 

Ive seen a couple of 8ohm cabs for sale so will just have to figure that side out and get something small :)

Thanks for the advice! I just wish my back was better because I've seen some killer deals on the bigger ashdown heads. 

14 hours ago, KhaosEmerald said:

I can't find much at all about these online . . . . . . . .

There 's an Audiofanzine review at the top of the Google search which comes to the conclusion, "Could have been better".

I read into that that there are better choices out there.

Just now, chris_b said:

There 's an Audiofanzine review at the top of the Google search which comes to the conclusion, "Could have been better".

I read into that that there are better choices out there.

Yeah I stumbled across that, but I'm bearing in mind that it's much cheaper than it was new, and that I need a lightweight setup, it seems a good option for my needs. 

I would love a bigger, better ashdown head but with my back being shot it puts me off hauling large amps.