Why become a member? ×

Fixed - thanks! Aguilar DB750 - problems

lozbass

[quote name='Oxblood' post='47223' date='Aug 18 2007, 09:10 PM']Phew! Your relief is palpable. Excellent news that all is behaving properly now. Did the tech have any words of wisdom re. the possible cause?[/quote]

I'd have thought it was obvious? I mean, he took the lid off, looked at it sternly and then put the lid back on and bobs your uncle, everything works fine! So the obvious conclusion is that the guy who installed the US/UK power conversion, also (either unwittingly or maliciously) installed a gremlin as well. Once the lid came off, the little fella scarpered like an eastern european in Dover, and all is fine when the lid goes back on.

Then again, I might just be drinking a little too heavily these days.........hic

[quote name='JPJ' post='47243' date='Aug 18 2007, 11:02 PM']I'd have thought it was obvious? I mean, he took the lid off, looked at it sternly and then put the lid back on and bobs your uncle, everything works fine! So the obvious conclusion is that the guy who installed the US/UK power conversion, also (either unwittingly or maliciously) installed a gremlin as well. Once the lid came off, the little fella scarpered like an eastern european in Dover, and all is fine when the lid goes back on.

[b]Then again, I might just be drinking a little too heavily these days.........hic[/b][/quote]

Sorry... hic, define too heavily.... hic

Hi everybody and thanks - I think you can empathise with my relief! The tech said no more than something may have been shaken loose/tight. He didn't spend long with the amp (other than there's around 18 screws to get the lid off!) but a few multimeter tests - sorry I can't be more spedific - didn't cause any alarm. I powered-on again at home twice yesterday without any problem whatsoever - weird (but good weird now!) Thanks again - I promise a review soon!

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47330' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:13 PM']Great news! I think I'll go ahead with my purchase!
Are you pleased with the sound?

Cheers
Ian[/quote]
Hi Ian, thanks for this - I would certainly go ahead with the purchase! I think there's just one thing to bear in mind, the 750 is really heavy. The unit itself is around 46lbs and mine is in a rack bag (which I'd certainly recommend) which adds around 6 or 7 pounds. Beyond that, in my opinion, the amp is stunning. The tone is superb (I'm still exploring!) - very big and present with incredible headroom. I was surprised initially by the slightly compressed sound - on first plugging-in, the volume across strings (and individual notes) was really even, something like using a very expensive, high-quality studio compressor. With the tone controls flat, the sound was fabulous, the kind of thing that brings a grin to your face - upping the gain to beyond 1 or 2 o'clock introduces a little grit, aggression and tube-warmth but with no real dirt or break-up. I'll write a detailed - and objective - review soon. For now, I'm having real fun - this is an incredible unit that appears to be living up the the hype and my expectations. Cheers, Loz

[quote name='lozbass' post='47592' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:23 AM']Hi Ian, thanks for this - I would certainly go ahead with the purchase! I think there's just one thing to bear in mind, the 750 is really heavy. The unit itself is around 46lbs and mine is in a rack bag (which I'd certainly recommend) which adds around 6 or 7 pounds. Beyond that, in my opinion, the amp is stunning. The tone is superb (I'm still exploring!) - very big and present with incredible headroom. I was surprised initially by the slightly compressed sound - on first plugging-in, the volume across strings (and individual notes) was really even, something like using a very expensive, high-quality studio compressor. With the tone controls flat, the sound was fabulous, the kind of thing that brings a grin to your face - upping the gain to beyond 1 or 2 o'clock introduces a little grit, aggression and tube-warmth but with no real dirt or break-up. I'll write a detailed - and objective - review soon. For now, I'm having real fun - this is an incredible unit that appears to be living up the the hype and my expectations. Cheers, Loz[/quote]

Thanks Loz.
I've never been a big fan of compressors as I feel they restrict dynamics. I'm sure loads out there will disagree. So I hope when you say it has a slightly compressed sound that it isn't too squashed and cyts dynamics and percieved volume. Because thats what I've found with pedals. I need volume and headroom! Is the gain set like say a Trace, where you set it high as poss with the clip light coming on when played hardest? or is this different being a valve front end? What rack bag are you using? Is it stron enough for the weight? I've got a 3U full flight case, and I'm worried its gonna be too heavy in that! Remind me what cab you're using with it?
Cheers
Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47600' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:43 AM']I've never been a big fan of compressors as I feel they restrict dynamics.[/quote]
Know what you mean, mate. I've never been a big fan of trousers, as I feel they cover up the legs.

Like...er...HELLO! THAT'S WHAT COMPRESSORS DO! :)

Sorry, Ian - just couldn't resist that one. :huh:

[quote name='Oxblood' post='47604' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:58 AM']Know what you mean, mate. I've never been a big fan of trousers, as I feel they cover up the legs.

Like...er...HELLO! THAT'S WHAT COMPRESSORS DO! :)

Sorry, Ian - just couldn't resist that one. :huh:[/quote]

Nicely put mate!!! Love it!

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47600' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:43 AM']Thanks Loz.
I've never been a big fan of compressors as I feel they restrict dynamics. I'm sure loads out there will disagree. So I hope when you say it has a slightly compressed sound that it isn't too squashed and cyts dynamics and percieved volume. Because thats what I've found with pedals. I need volume and headroom! Is the gain set like say a Trace, where you set it high as poss with the clip light coming on when played hardest? or is this different being a valve front end? What rack bag are you using? Is it stron enough for the weight? I've got a 3U full flight case, and I'm worried its gonna be too heavy in that! Remind me what cab you're using with it?
Cheers
Ian[/quote]
Hi Ian, (writing with trousers on), I don't want to mislead - what I've experienced/perceived as a compression effect is very subtle and entireley positive (no squashing, just pleasing evenness across strings and notes). I don't think you'll be worried at all by loss of dynamics - the 750 seems to respond incredibly well to nuances in left and right hand fingering/attack etc. Also, the headroom on these things is legendary (justifiably I'd say). I'm still working my way around the unit (after a long wait!) so won't claim to offer a definitive view. However, given what you say about your preferences, I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending Aguilar. As far as gain goes, I'd say the Aguilar is not at all like a Trace (and I use a TE Series 6 AH200 GP12 extensively). I use the TE in the same way that you describe (I'll be honest, I've never thought about using it another way, but there may be things I could learn!). With the 750, I've experimented with using the gain to add some warmth/grit. Below 12-1 o'clock it's entirely clean. Beyond 1 or 2 o'clock on the gain, the tube warmth becomes evident. However, this is subtle - it's not like kicking-in a fuzz pedal! I need to work more with this and will report on what I find. Many years ago I used big valve amps - Marshall, Hiwatt etc. - and driven hard, a dirty aggressive sound was possible (err...unavoidable). From what I've heard so far, the Aguilar is nothing like that, it's much more subtle and controlled (but extremely big/present and, I suspect, incredibly loud if necessary - I've not used it in a gig or rehearsal setting yet). The rack bag is an Aguilar 3u manufactured by Pro-Tec - it has a wooden interior/frame and is just sufficiently deep to hold the 750. The covering appears to be strong nylon and there's some padding in the front and rear flap. The handle and strap fixings appear to be strong and well sown, however, I find the total weight simply too much for use of the supplied strap. I honestly wouldn't recommend that you think about carrying a 750 too far (either in a bag or rack case). I think retail on the bag is around £60 at the Gallery. The cab I've used so far is an Epifani ul112 (series 1) - I think these are gorgeous for small gigs. Of course, I can't really open-up the 750 with this cab, but at a decent level the cab seems to love the amp and vice versa. I hope this helps. Cheers, Loz

Thanks Loz, that helps immensly.

Please let us know how she performs at gig volume.

The Epifani speakers are great. I was using two UL410s a while back before I realised my rig sounded better with one! I now got serious GAS for one of these DB750, so the cabs got sold, so at the moment I'm speakerless!!

Anyway, thanks for your detailed responses.

Cheers
Ian

Loz,

I can't find the pro-tec case you mentioned. I went to their website and this is what I found...

[url="http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=20&InstrumentID=2&InstrumentGroupID=2&CategoryID=1&subCategoryID=34"]http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?Prod...ubCategoryID=34[/url]

That doesn't look man enough! Am I looking at the wrong product?Cheers
Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47780' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:50 PM']Loz,

I can't find the pro-tec case you mentioned. I went to their website and this is what I found...

[url="http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=20&InstrumentID=2&InstrumentGroupID=2&CategoryID=1&subCategoryID=34"]http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?Prod...ubCategoryID=34[/url]

That doesn't look man enough! Am I looking at the wrong product?Cheers
Ian[/quote]
Hi Ian, thanks for the kind words - I'll certainly let you know how things go at higher volumes. I'd love to hear two ul410s - wow (and it's interesting to hear that just one was an improvement!)

I've had a look at the link - that's not the rack bag that I have. Mine is Aguilar badged but manufactured by ProTec - they're featured on the Aguilar website at:
[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AA&Category_Code=RB-CC"]http://www.aguilaramp.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=RB-CC[/url]

You'll see the photographs of the 2u and 3u bag. They look and feel pretty strong with robust fastenings, clasps and handles. I ordered mine from the Gallery and it arrived in just a few days. The level of protection seems good under normal (i.e., non-touring circumstances) but using the handle over some distance is not comfortable and the strap didn't suit me: if possible, I'd suggest you limit the amount that you have to carry a 750!

Thanks again and good luck if you decide to go with the Aguilar - I doubt you'll be disappointed. Cheers, Loz

• 3 years later...

Now if you ask Aguilar about transforming an US DB750 to UK they will charge you near £250 for the components... What I understood is that it's supposed to be a really quick change. From an article on Bass Player:
[i][b]"For international use, the DB750 can be internally reconfigured to operate on 100-, 120-, 220-, or 230-volt AC lines. (This procedure should be implemented only by a qualified tech, as 220-volt and 230-volt operation requires changing the circuit breaker/power switch.)"[/b][/i]

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47738' date='Aug 20 2007, 01:36 PM']Thanks Loz, that helps immensly.

Please let us know how she performs at gig volume.

The Epifani speakers are great. I was using two UL410s a while back before I realised my rig sounded better with one! I now got serious GAS for one of these DB750, so the cabs got sold, so at the moment I'm speakerless!!

Anyway, thanks for your detailed responses.

Cheers
Ian[/quote]

love my db750! never had a single problem turning it on? and we practice in an old farm building and i have our pa running on the same supply that my amps plugged into.

this thing has serious headroom and sounds awesome at gig volume you wnt be disappointed, i use mine with an 610hlf ampeg cab and it sings! also used it with an 810 peg cab but i do want to try it with a couple of 15's.

the thing is heavy but the sound is worth it!

andy

• 1 year later...

Just a note to add to this post which somebody might find useful.

My recently acquired secondhand DB750 fused the circuits at a venue after three gigs of use and would no longer power up.

I sent it for repair to an Aguilar recognised technician, received incredible pro-level service and the amp was fully serviced and repaired.

I mentioned the 'thermistor' situation with regards to the early amps blowing up circuits on power up, particularly in Europe, and the tech mentioned my amp didn't have one fitted. He contacted Aguilar who advised on the component required, he fitted the thermistor and the amp is now working as new.

The serial number of my amp is 2674 so if you have an amp with a number lower than that, chances are you need to have the thermistor fitted to avoid problems on power up.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Steve

Note: the technician I mentioned is Michael Maughan at MAC Electronics http://www.maughanamps.com/service.shtml