Why become a member? ×

MXR M281 Thump Bass Preamp

dave_bass5

Anyone using or tried one?

Looks quite plain to me but wondering if there is something not obvious.

There is a short thread no Talkbass.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mxr-m281-thump-bass-preamp.1443178/

MXR M281 Thump Bass Preamp

• The MXR Thump Bass Preamp is a tone-sweetening, signal-boosting, and altogether groove-enhancing machine. This pedal was conceived when the MXR design team and our in-house bass players discovered that the Echoplex® Preamp’s sonic secret sauce made for just as delectable a pairing with bass as it does with guitar. Using that circuitry as a foundation, the MXR team added a simple yet potent tone-shaping interface so that you can dial in the perfect bass sound for the stage and the studio.

Crafting the sound you need is easy. The Echoplex Preamp circuit conditions your signal with a carefully balanced EQ profile, and this pedal’s tone controls let you take it from there. The Treble and Bass knobs cut or boost frequencies at 8 kHz and 40 Hz respectively, while the Mid knob cuts or boosts the midrange as set by the Frequency knob, from 250 Hz to 1 kHz. This range of frequencies was selected to give players maximum flexibility and minimal fuss when refining their bass signal.

Whether you need to punch up a solo, boost your signal in a live mix, or sculpt more edge into the sound of a passive bass, the Thump Bass Preamp packs incredible versatility into an MXR mini housing.

MXR M281 Thump Bass Preamp Features:

• All the tone-sweetening versatility bass players need in an MXR mini housing 
    • Combines the Echoplex Preamp with a three-band EQ and mid-frequency adjustment
    • Punch up a solo, boost your live signal, or sculpt a more aggressive edge onto a passive sound 

https://www.prymaxe.com/collections/effects/products/mxr-m281-thump-bass-preamp?utm_campaign=privy_1156828&utm_medium=email&utm_source=privy&utm_email=%40%40%40%40070AObWOJvOCqJJIGcP295EqGkBKUc%2F4U%2BqkWWUw39MpmEXnzuZKXEuMHpUUbRzLLuJB00A0zquIjjo4tnhdWxhWGSaMSeQO4UTdzxCwOXxTB9jUH4a8wZk0LqEyvumOrxAMAx1zaKV5qtdmUlTEF3nd3uEFCgg9yyoF1jUTeqTZpXs%3D

Edited by dave_bass5

4 minutes ago, Lee-Man said:

I've tried one. It's great and deff does a thing (think that's the echoplex tone). On my gas list for sure. 

Thanks, it seems very basic, but I’m quite keen to try one as I think I’d need to hear the magic fairy dust bit in the flesh.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Mattbass97 said:

Had a terrible experience with mine.

Perceivable low end loss / general thinness when flat. Had to boost bass considerably to equal the bypassed sound. Immediately returned - very poor imo

That’s put me off a bit, but I had forgotten about this pedal so wasn’t really thinking about getting it.

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

That’s put me off a bit, but I had forgotten about this pedal so wasn’t really thinking about getting it.

I was really disappointed. I've seen other people enjoying it but complaining of clipping issues instead. Particular on talkbass if you head over there and have a read.

On 25/04/2020 at 17:21, Mattbass97 said:

I was really disappointed. I've seen other people enjoying it but complaining of clipping issues instead. Particular on talkbass if you head over there and have a read.

There are a lot of clipped members over there lol.