Why become a member? ×

N(to me)BD - I just bought a what..?! :D

johnDeereJack

I recently went into my local GuitarGuitar looking to buy a decent mic, which I did! :)

However, while wandering about the store, admiring all the pretty basses I couldn't afford, I spied this 'creation', finished in shiny orange, hanging in the 'Used Instruments' section of the shop. I wandered closer, checked the price - 'Hmmm, reasonable!' So I took it off the wall hanger and sat down with it... 

And suddenly everything just clicked... the world fell into place... my reason for being a bass player - nay, my reason for being - became clear; it was simply to sit down with this utterly bizarre shiny orange creation, and play it! Ultimately, I bought it! :)

So, what did I buy? Well, I bought an orange MusicMan Bongo HS 5-string! Bwaaahahahahahaaaa🤣

Oh my god, it's the freaking best bass I have ever played. The looks may not be to (most?) people's taste, but jeez this thing is freaking amazing! :)

It's so versatile with the range of sounds you can coax out of the 4-band, 18v preamp (I'm not overly enamoured with the hi- and lo-mid EQ stack, been mostly using the pickup blend and the bass / treble EQ stack); the bass hangs perfectly - no neck-dive at all; the neck is really nice(a wee bit thin front-to-back compared to previous 5's I've owned, but I adapted almost instantly); it's not overly cumbersome (haven't weighed it yet); and it's shiny and orange! 😁  (well, Desert Gold according to the EBMM Serial Database!)

When I first saw the MM Bongos, I seriously wondered who had lost their mind, and I never in a million years thought I'd ever own one, but this thing may seriously end up being my only bass, it's that good! 

Buy one! They're grrrrrreat! 

Bongo 1.jpg

Bongo 2.jpg

Bongo 3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

They do look odd, but I think you’ve nailed it when saying that for you it’s the best bass you’ve ever played, that surely has to be the most important thing. From my limited experience of EBMM my impressions are of extremely well built, good quality, great playing instruments.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

They do look odd, but I think you’ve nailed it when saying that for you it’s the best bass you’ve ever played, that surely has to be the most important thing. From my limited experience of EBMM my impressions are of extremely well built, good quality, great playing instruments.

15 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm an Ernie Ball fan too. They do the classics like the Sterling and Stingray but then they push the boat out and dare to make something awesome like the Bongo. 

Yeah, I bought a really nice used 2-band 4-string StingRay not that long ago - my first EBMM bass. I had always been a Fender player prior to this bass, with fretted and fretless Jazz basses, and an excellent mid-80's Fender Japan 57RI Precision (strung with flats of course!)

I'd always hankered after a 2-band StingRay, and I finally found a nice used one in good condition for a decent price, so I played it for half an hour and bought it. I was instantly taken with the playability and build quality (not that there is anything wrong with the playability / build quality of the Fenders I have!) and have since become a big fan of MM basses because of this used SR - plus, the EB Customer Services are excellent, which is always a bonus.

When I first saw the Bongo design, I really didn't know what to think. Like I said, I certainly didn't think I'd ever own one, but they're freaking excellent. I can't stop playing it! :)

2 hours ago, Machines said:

I had one just like that just with a  pickguard. Still not sure why I sold it, would have it back but the prices have gone up since. 

Yeah, this one came with a black pearloid pickguard, but I took it off. I want as much of that lovely shiny orange (Desert Gold!) finish showing as possible, so I don't want a pickguard covering it up! 😁

I came at these the opposite way round. I like the looks, love the orange finishes, but when I tried one I found the body really uncomfortable. It was really disappointing, as if not for that I’d have bought one. I keep meaning to try another, see if I have the same experience, but I never see them these days.

20 hours ago, 4000 said:

I came at these the opposite way round. I like the looks, love the orange finishes, but when I tried one I found the body really uncomfortable. It was really disappointing, as if not for that I’d have bought one. I keep meaning to try another, see if I have the same experience, but I never see them these days.

If you can find one, definitely have another bash - I honestly find these basses incredibly comfortable, both sitting and standing.

And yes, the shiny orange finish is superb - I've been singing the old 'Kia-Ora' advert: "It's too orangey for crows, it's just for me and my dog"! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXfuZ_Sk_E