Why become a member? ×

Bass in Quarantine, the plus side

Phil Starr

Just that really. We are in a great position to cope better than most. We have a community here to talk to and something we love doing but never get enough uninterrupted time at. 

I'm planning to sort out all my hundreds of chord sheets and tabs and get them to our top floor, make sure I have plenty of rechargeable batteries for my zoom and my best headphones at the ready. My three best basses will go up and the computer and an mp3 player, then I'm entirely self sufficient and can play without waking the street.

For fun I'm intending revisiting songs I haven't played for years.

Our band wants to go down a soul/funk route, something that I've never played, it was going to take me months to learn a new style with a few techniques to add to the flimsy armoury I currently have.

If I can find time my music theory is shocking, I need to work on my speed, hell, I could even learn the dusty bit of the fretboard. Two octave runs..... (I wonder if I can fake a cough and get extra isolation time :))

For me bass is all the 'wellness' I need. The man cave my safe space. the best anti inflammatory I can get. Guilt free time on Basschat as well. What will you do?

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 9

I've by chance picked up a dep gig with a band nearby. I updated my band mix page with the intent of putting out an ad to form a new band but ended up being asked if I could join a covers band. They sent me a video and they're good! They have loads of gigs booked which I've been honest that I can't fulfil all of but if they don't find a permanent member I could dep. Their set is 50% what I play in my current band and 50% other stuff that I'm happy to learn while in lock down. If they find a permanent member no sweat I've just learned some new stuff, if they don't, I've got a load of dep gigs toward the end of the year playing some fun stuff. 

Now if only I had more time to play bass... 

I have already said to Mrs2611 this is an ideal opportunity for me to spend time improving on the bass, she did suggest that I could teach her to play the guitar whilst we are isolated......I have said that is a terrible idea as I doubt isolation would be seen as a defence for a murder charge.....I jest, but I still am not teaching her :)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Just that really. We are in a great position to cope better than most. We have a community here to talk to and something we love doing but never get enough uninterrupted time at.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'll be spending much of the time doing bass-related stuff and various other musical activities.

But if I ever get bored with that (which, to be fair, is highly unlikely) I may actually and finally re-organize my sock drawer!! ;)

1 hour ago, Stingray5 said:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'll be spending much of the time doing bass-related stuff and various other musical activities.

But if I ever get bored with that (which, to be fair, is highly unlikely) I may actually and finally re-organize my sock drawer!! ;)

Done :)

• Haha 1