Why become a member? ×

Some bright light in these dark days

Hellzero

IMG-20200316-WA0003.thumb.jpg.3910f0d9970da9d82edeeadb30e189fe.jpg

The link https://mahavishnujohnmclaughlin.bandcamp.com/album/john-mclaughlin-shankar-mahadevan-zakir-hussain

Thanks to my friend Christoph @chrisbass13 for sharing this.

When some people are taking the wrong tracks, other people are showing the right path.

Edited by Hellzero
Tag
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 11

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

...Thanks...

I've already ticked the 'Thanks' thingy on the right, but it doesn't seem enough, so 'Thanks' again, for sharing this link, and a shed-load of 'Thanks' to the musicians making music like this, with the fantastic bonus of making it available as a free download in these strange times. One may contribute, naturally, and it's worth giving back if one can.

We're away from the 'normal' (can one say that of these Masters..?) renderings, closer to (but distant from...) the 'Shakti' era than 'Birds Of Fire', and present a refreshing aural bath for ears too often assailed by 'pop' tunes and empty advertising themes. This stuff will never (unfortunately..?) become mainstream; it'll not be played over any FM station I've ever heard (although John Peel would certainly have reserved it a fair chunk of air-time...), so lap it up whilst it's offered. Do yourselves a favour, and, even if it doesn't fit your listening right now, don't just junk it. Give it another go in a year or so, then again, and again. One fine day (or evening; whatever...) it'll 'click'. Quality will out; just give yourselves time to show itself to you.
Great Stuff.

@ambient : Just a 'heads up'; I thought that you might like to give this a go. I might be wrong; if so, apologies. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a fan of Indian music, like @chrisbass13, I've listened to the 3 first tracks yesterday evening and, even, if it's complex rhythmic music, it's totally relaxing.

Give it a try girls and guys, discovering John McLaughlin musical universe through this album is a very good start.

And for those who like music with more "muscle", listen to his jazz-rock era of the 70's, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

A guitarist friend of mine gave me the heads up on this yesterday and I went ahead and downloaded it. Excellent stuff and regardless of whether or not it's your cuppa java, musically, there's no denying the musicianship here, not to mention the gesture itself.