Why become a member? ×

Trying to decide on an amp for my usage

KhaosEmerald

Hi all

Ive recently switched back from guitar to bass as I missed it. It's been some time since I've needed a bass amp and I'm a little lost as to what I should go for. I'm on a fairly low budget as I'm a uni student, so looking second hand predominantly. 

Here's what I need it for:

Bedroom playing/recording (looking to record some covers to get back into the swing of things) 

Potential gigging in small local venues (max 100 people) when I find a band

Portability! I have lower back problems so looking to keep things easy to transport. 

Versatility - I play a lot of rock and metal, plus some punk and funk

Options I've identified - 

Combos - peavey max 200w 1x12, tc electronic bg250 1x15

Heads - fender rumble 200, ashdown pi bass 240, tc electronic bh250, tc electronic bq500. 

I'm looking for something to cover all bases for now as I'm just getting back into it. Would love to hear your thoughts! 

• Like 1

Ampeg Micro VR 150w single cab, 200w with extension (right)

Ampeg BA-210 285w as a combo, 450w with extension (middle)

(Left) is the BA-112 75w with no capability for and extension and no DI.

extension cab (left) is the pf210he 450w

For your purposes I’d recommend everything but the BA-112.  Although a 150w BA-115 is 150w and has a line out,  and does not allow for an extension.

4B51129A-48A8-4943-80AE-4FA8A05C2B54.jpeg

if you could stretch to £400/450 this markbass combo CMD121 is remarkably light and a very loud 400W. I've got one on permanent loan and its great, been gigging with it regularly and we're pretty loud ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MarkBass-Mini-CMD-121P-Bass-Amp-Combo/223914240648?hash=item3422542a88%3Ag%3ANZAAAOSwjzdeSXvH&LH_ItemCondition=3000

• Like 1

Fender Rumble combos! All sound great and are loud for their ratings. I have a 100w model and it’s superb. The 200w version is the next one up from mine and should fit your requirements I think. It has a 15 inch speaker, extension speaker socket, DI, aux in and headphone sockets, footswitchable overdrive circuit and weighs 15.65 kgs! They are around £450 new, s/h (if you can find one) £250 /£300.

33 minutes ago, KhaosEmerald said:

So I've come across a couple more options! Found an ampeg 210 450w combo for 150, or a bugger bxd12 for 120.

Fender stuff is cool! Ive found a 200 watt head for 150, but struggling to find a suitable cab. 

Given the state of your lower back, I would check the weight of the options you’ve mentioned above. Unless you opt for a modern lightweight combo then a separate amp and cab is your best bet if you intend moving your kit around.

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Given the state of your lower back, I would check the weight of the options you’ve mentioned above. Unless you opt for a modern lightweight combo then a separate amp and cab is your best bet if you intend moving your kit around.

Agree, I think if I were looking at combos then only Fender Rumble, Ashdown RM and Markbass would get a look in.

36 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d do a YouTube search on each, see which you like the sound of. It won’t be ideal but after a few different clips you can generally get the feel for whether something will work for you or not. 

That's a good call. I can't find much on the ashdown sadly. I like their bigger amps so figured that might be a good fit. I mostly worry about versatility because I play a wide range of stuff but mainly rock/metal. Tc electronic seem cool but I've seen people say their tone print stuff is pretty hit and miss.