Why become a member? ×

Do I need new gear or am I just bored?

uk_lefty

I'm seriously thinking about selling off my Precision bass, wireless system, and effects board. Why? Here's the logic... 

I can't see me using the P bass as anything other than a backup to my Stingray and I miss my jazz basses. So I think I can sell my P for more than I would have to buy a new Sire or Fender Mexican jazz for. 

Wireless, have just never used it. Ever. In a year. Its worth money so it could potentially go. 

Effects board. It's huge and heavy and in a flight case. It is very, very good but I tend to just get a good core tone and have an option to bring in drive or whatever. But here's the thing, for quite a few gigs I don't even bother with it, just cable to amp. My amp has a footswitchable drive and the inboard EQ on my Sire (now departed) and Stingray handles the rest. While it's nice to know I could use all manner of exotic effects if I programme them in or learn which name they come under I just don't. Also, this is worth money. I would replace it with something new, smaller and lighter though maybe less capable for the money I could sell it for. 

Theres nothing wrong with any of this gear, far from it. I just think it's cash tied up in stuff I don't need. I may regret selling off the P bass, but if I got a good jazz to replace it then I've got something that doesn't overlap the Stingray as much... The wireless and effects? Not really needed. I can get by without quite easily. I may even have change leftover if I can sell everything at market value and replace sensibly. 

Do I need to do this, or am I just bored? 

I'd sell. 

I've cut down to two basses (in the process of selling two others that don't get used - nothing wrong with them, actually they are wonderful, but I've got my favourite two). I've got rid of my effects board and just got a Sansamp Flyrig which fits in a gigbag pocket, and I can now go to rehearsal or a gig with a bass in one hand, the amp (Phil Jones Suitcase. if I need more I take the Phil Jones C8 cab too) in the other hand and I've freed up some cash and space in the house. Simples :)

• Like 1

It’s a mixture of both by sound of it. There is no right or wrong answer to this really but if your not getting the use out of it or feel you will in the future, then sell it. 

if you can pick something else that you think you might use then do that. 

• Like 1

If the gear feels surplus to requirements and has no sentimental value, let it go and get something you want more. You can always get another P bass if you feel like going back to playing one.

I'm trying to be a bit ruthless with some of my gear. Someone I know mentioned late on last week that they quite liked a Telecaster I own. Said it was a shame I wasn't selling. I said are you buying? We agreed a price and I'm delivering it to him tomorrow. If I start hankering for another Tele, they are always in the shops.

• Like 1

I'd add that us left handers have probably never had it so good in terms of choice... if it's not doing it for you then get rid. I've got a CV P at home that really needs moving on but I've just not got around to it

Edited by rasher80
  • Like 1

I have similar thoughts about the pedals - I have a set up that I really like, but have actually used live twice in the last five years (and only then because I did a couple of gigs that had proper transport).  I've mostly played with the bass, a tuner and, for gigs without my SVT (which has been most of them) a Tech 21 pedal pretending to be an SVT.

Is there anything you'd find it hard to re-buy if you change your mind in six months?  Any special editions or discontinued products that have a function that you used a lot when you have used the kit, and wouldn't be easy to replicate if you found yourself needing to use it again?

If it's all stuff that you could easily replace then sell.  Doesn't really matter if you then change your mind

53 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Is there anything you'd find it hard to re-buy if you change your mind in six months?  Any special editions or discontinued products

Yeah my P is an MIJ 1970 reissue. Alder body instead of basswood, hard to get hold of now but then again what's the point in just hoarding it? I'm thinking an Aerodyne jazz could be the way forward but they're going for nearly a grand in well-used condition where a few years back you'd get a new one for less than 600 imported so I can't get my head around it yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

That's the white-bodied one with a slimmer neck than usual isn't it?

I remember seeing them advertised on Guitar Emporium many years ago when I got my 62 reissue.

I'm not sure the neck is any slimmer, it certainly isn't a jazz neck. But it is the white body, rosewood board, black Pickguard "Sid Vicious" bass. When these were advertised they had USA electrics but mine has had a pup replacement. It sounds great with big heavy flats but the Stingray is really the leader of my pack now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think sell the wireless kit and pedals but keep the Precision. Having a trusty P around is always worthwhile.

Part of my quandary. And I can't pretend that once my Aria SB Elite is fully restored and usable it is a P replacement because its not. 

47 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm not sure the neck is any slimmer, it certainly isn't a jazz neck. But it is the white body, rosewood board, black Pickguard "Sid Vicious" bass. When these were advertised they had USA electrics but mine has had a pup replacement. It sounds great with big heavy flats but the Stingray is really the leader of my pack now. 

my wife has the same P bass. It is very good

As for a Jazz, go for it. You could probably pick up a 2nd hand Flea jazz bass. They sound REALLY good

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think sell the wireless kit and pedals but keep the Precision. Having a trusty P around is always worthwhile.

This!

I go in and out of love with precisions, but it's always good to have one around. Plus your mij P is pretty rare so not that easy to pick up again if you change your mind. If it's the PB70 US, it'll be 40mm at the nut and a joy to play too! 

How about trying to scratch the jazz itch with a classic vibe Squier? 

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

How about trying to scratch the jazz itch with a classic vibe Squier? 

Believe me the black one with blocks looks nice... Yet I have FOUR basses on the go at the moment which is too many. The P is a joy to play, a really well made bass but the Stingray puts it in the shade completely. I have thought about adding a j pup to it to see if that satisfies me but I doubt it. I bet if I got a jazz though, with or without selling the P, I'd just be chasing something else like a headless Status or whatever... 

11 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Believe me the black one with blocks looks nice... Yet I have FOUR basses on the go at the moment which is too many. The P is a joy to play, a really well made bass but the Stingray puts it in the shade completely. I have thought about adding a j pup to it to see if that satisfies me but I doubt it. I bet if I got a jazz though, with or without selling the P, I'd just be chasing something else like a headless Status or whatever... 

I know what you mean, I have a hankering for the sunburst model with blocks. They're pretty sexy and the frets are the same sort of vintage ones in your precision I think....... The GAS struggle between want and need is real! 

I wouldn't put a J pup on the P personally, only because I think it's too nice to mod. I picked up a PB70 US just before Christmas and absolutely love it so would be afraid of taking it out of its original state. Having said that, if you've played around with the PJ setup before, know you like it and the addition of a J pup would make you play it more then go for it. 

A good P is worth keeping though so I wouldn't sell it, you'll need it at some point!