Why become a member? ×

Stuff you bought and never used (but still have it)

leschirons

Many many years ago, I purchased the new Zoom 10/44 digital recorder. Cost me around £600 from memory. It still has the one track I recorded on it, a mate with an acoustic singing Folsam prison blues for his Mum. Never even got past the intro of the manual. Advertised it a couple of months ago on Face book for 60€  didn't get one reply.

I imagine we've all got something like this in a box somewhere.

• Like 1

Yep, a complete stereo system (cd player with GPS, tons of speakers, subwoofer and even a back camera plate) for my Opel Frontera something like 7 years ago. Never opened the boxes and still have everything bar the Frontera. 🤣

I have a Jamhub. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and still does, but I have never used it.

Also, I have a Zoom B3n which I have never gigged and only used at one practice, and a Line 6 Helix LT that I have powered up 5 times, once to take pictures of to sell.

Probably if I looked in the cupboard there is more than I could ever care to mention!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not quite 'never used' but as close as makes no odds. I have a very beaten up old Ibanez BTB 6-string bass that I bought because a) it was very cheap and b) I regretted selling the Tobias six I used to have and did use quite a bit in the past. The Ibby hardly ever gets out of the wardrobe apart from the occasional noodling around at home, and for a periodical wander through the single solitary piece I have ever written (which I can only play on a six as it uses the entire range of the bass, from an open B right up to the top B at 23rd fret on the C string). It has never been outside the house though, and probably never will. Unless I join/form another fusion trio :D there's nothing wrong with it sonically and it's nice to play, but it is a bit of a mess.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, a complete stereo system (cd player with GPS, tons of speakers, subwoofer and even a back camera plate) for my Opel Frontera something like 7 years ago. Never opened the boxes and still have everything bar the Frontera. 🤣

At least you got rid of the right bit, the Frontera😂

• Haha 2

A Line 6 Bass Pod. I used a friend's one for some recording, loved it, and bought one. It's been in the drawer ever since. Might post it up for sale here.

Also a Zoom H4n recording thingy. Impenetrable manual stopped me in my tracks, and it's now next to the Bass Pod in my parts drawer.

• Like 1

A Hand-wound dual-coil jazz bridge pickup.
A set of tuning heads
Various bass fettling goodies (tools), that have been used once.
Warwick Streamer Fretless - always dreaming of getting into fretless, but it still hasn't really got anywhere, so it's almost unused.

Jeez, where to start! Squire Bass VI, had it for 3 or 4 years still can't really find a use for it!

Mustang Bass, full of short scale wonderfulness, used for one rehearsal so far, great bass just not finding a use for it!

63 Custom Shop Precision, wonderful instrument, very expensive, not favoured as much as my 50's classic so again sitting in a case not getting used

1981 Precision, Olly White / Black / Maple amazing condition, under 10lbs in weight, possibly too valuable to be using for pub gigs, not as good as my 50's classic so not making the bigger gigs, again sitting in a case unused!

Westone Thunder III fretless, sits in it's case unused as I prefer the Bass Collection.

That's just the basses, I have a couple of guitars that also see usage but have a few more that don't 

Yes, I am a collector, I like the collection and all the instruments in it are there for a reason but it does mean that some don't get used at all.

Not the easiest thing to equate with myself at times!

I'm pretty good at moving stuff on that I buy and then don't like/use, but I have a few bits and pieces that I needed at the time but haven't used for some years because that need passed.  Most expensive is probably a Marshall 2 x 12 guitar cab that I wanted for a band I was playing guitar in...but haven't gigged for at least five years and I probably didn't gig with it more than half a dozen times

However, I am currently storing some guitars for a mate who moved to a smaller flat and under strict instructions from his girlfriend had to thin down his collection to the ones he thought he would actually be playing on a regular basis.  the longer version is that he is a terrible guitarist, but loves convincing himself that he needs to acquire new stuff, and having acquired it then struggles to play his new toys and leaves them in as new, untouched condition.  Based on how zingy the strings were when he dropped them off I can guarantee that he didn't spend more than a week trying to play:

a 7 string Schecter (bought because I'd got a 7 string Explorer and he convinced himself that he also needed an extra string...the fact that he can't play 6 string guitars didn't bother him)

a 12 string acoustic (no idea why he ended up with that - probably just because he didn't have one)

a Gibson Les Paul (I feel slightly bad about this one - I was chatting to a girl that we know and he fancied at a festival, and she was showing a lot of interest in me having a Les Paul, so he loudly announced that he has loads of guitars but a LP was missing from his collection.  I goaded him into buying one, and explained that he needed heavier strings because of the shorter scale length, and gave him a set of the strings that I use - 12's.  He then couldn't play even to his appalling standard on 12's, and rather than changing them to a lighter gauge, he left the guitar alone for a few years.  I have sent it on loan to a friend who is learning to play, and she has sensibly put lighter stings on it)

A Marshall 50w acoustic guitar amp (because he has a Parker Nitefly, which has both electric and pietzo pickups.  Despite him never actually playing his guitars outside of his front room, he had to get a proper amp set up for it)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Also a Zoom H4n recording thingy. Impenetrable manual stopped me in my tracks, and it's now next to the Bass Pod in my parts drawer.

I think I've got one of these... I ignored most of the manual and just stick it in the middle of the rehearsal room to record how we arrange songs and go back over to prove to one of the guitarists he really shouldn't ever try to do backing vocals... Its pretty good for eliminating background noise and doing a good recording off the cuff. 

I've got a brand new Line 6 Relay G75 wireless kit, boxed and in its pack never used at all. Keep meaning to test it before putting it up for sale. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdrianP said:

Looper pedal. Not only still in its box, it's still in the original Amazon parcel. 

Ditto 2. and I mean that in both word and product (although I no longer have the Amazon box). 
Also, all new but only used once to testMXR Micro Amp M133; MXR Octave; Tascam Bass Trainer; Tascam Portastudio DP-008 (looks really cool!); Source Audio Programmable EQ; Pedal Train Classic pedal board with bag used for one gig. Plus other stuff I cannot remember. I have not listed all the unused cables and picks etc I regard as consumables. 
I also have a garage with more unused DIY tools than Wickes. Each time something needs doing I buy the special kit but by time I get around to it my wife has gotten someone in to fix / repair / change or build the thing. The worst item is a top level Karcher pressure washer that is unused after a year. It was bought to replace the previous one that seized when I went to use if after being new and unused for  7 years. Still, it is cheaper than having kids. 

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

I have a Zoom H2n recording thingy which goes everywhere with me and records everything. Can't say I ever read the manual. I just turned the input to stereo XY, turned it on and press record when I want to go and press it again when I want to stop. Is there any more to it than that?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Source Audio Hot Hand - haven't quite managed to work out how to get Dubstep 'wub wub' sounds into our pub rock covers set. It will happen though....

Ditto!

Bought an Apollo Twin- set up to use with my laptop- recorded sweet FA.

Pretty much everything I've bought in the last 5 years (including a full PC-based recording setup) has been wildly under-used to the point of being ignored, mostly because of work & life stuff getting in the way.

Top of the heap however is a very lovely Sire V7 fretless, which I got over a year ago and have noodled on for probably less than an hour in total. I've never plugged it in (the batteries are unconnected and still in their wrapping) and it still has the protective film on the scratchplate & pickups.

At least there's no dust on those, then. :(

36 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

The worst item is a top level Karcher pressure washer that is unused after a year. It was bought to replace the previous one that seized when I went to use if after being new and unused for  7 years. Still, it is cheaper than having kids. 

I need a pressure washer... I say need, my drive needs cleaning and occasionally a drain needs unblocking so I'd like one. If you're ever getting rid do let me know. 

I've got 2 kids in nursery next year. Got to work out if it's worth it for my wife to work at all!