Why become a member? ×

Compressor pedal hiss

Mark_Bass

I’ve got a darkglass  super symmetry compressor into my Mesa d800+ amp, and ive noticed that when the pedal is on there is a noticeable amount of hiss coming from the output, switch it off and it’s gone. 

Is this normal for compressor pedals to be a bit hissy? You don’t notice it when I’m playing ( at least with the band)

my settings are ( the pedal doesn’t have any ratios or numbers on it)

blend @ 100

input @ 9pm

compression @ 11pm

release @ 0

attack @ 10pm

output@ 2pm ( volume matched to when the pedal is switched off)

Thanks for any advice!

I would say: try increasing the input and reducing the output, still aiming to get the same volume between engaged and not engaged.

Attack at 0 - so I guess that means “off”, right? That’s fast 😁

Try easing it off a little. 
Finally; yeah some compressors hiss. Some don’t. Google “ovnilab” - the best bass compressor resource on the web!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Thanks 1

All compressors raise the noise floor. That is what they are for! They increase the lower volume elements and limit the louder elements.

If your usual rig has a tiny bit of hiss you cannot usually hear then a compressor will make it louder. If your rig has noticeable hiss then it's going to get more noticeable.

The very best compressors don't have any hiss of their own, but the normal action of a compressor will ALWAYS increase any hiss that exists elsewhere in the signal chain. So the secret is trying to remove hiss from all the other gear in the chain. And turn down / off any tweeters you have if your cab allows it.

Placement can help - if you put a compressor after a load of vintage FX then it's going to be noisy even with a studio grade compressor. Putting it right after the bass in the chain can be quieter but if you have envelope filters etc then it can limit them.

Compression junkies like Billy Sheehan run several compressors in different places in the chain to get the compression they need with minimal noise increase. I've tried that and it works well.

My ThorpyFX Fat General is the quietest pedal compressor I've found so far (even more than the Cali76) but I've also got a very quiet chain before it - EMG loaded bass and a remarkably quiet Source Audio Spectrum Filter. Then it goes into the noisy over drive stuff.

• Like 1