Why become a member? ×

Reverb & delay, delay, delay

Graham

The Keeley is beautiful. I've been doing a lot of recording recently so have ramped up pedals for sounds I'm after. I've been using it for both guitar and bass, and the way the choral reverb works on bass is gorgeous. It's really easy to dial in too, both from the delay and reverb side. I have a Helix incoming this week and I really hope I can replicate the sounds on that, or it will have to stay.

Honestly I love my dispatch master, it has a really lovely warm tone.

i use the dispatch master for a basic reverb and delay and if I want anything a bit more out there I use a tc electronic hall of fame 2, but that pedal is just reverb

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at this as well a bit. 

Source audio are worth a look. Pricey, but as full functioned as you could ever need.

Fender reflecting pool

Belle Epoch deluxe (tape delay)

Also strymon volante, capistan etc. 

Roland re20 subject to what you're after. 

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

• 1 month later...

The old 90’s Boss RV-3 has a cult following among guitarists. Johnny Greenwood and a fair few other tone-lords of that instrument use them ... and it’s absolutely fantastic with bass too.

The guitarists who don’t like it say the reverb sounds ‘sterile’. Well, on bass it’s definitely digital sounding, though not cold nor hard by any means. Any of that perceived  ‘sterility’ translates well with bass anyway, as the reverb isn’t muddy at all, and the delays are clean. The low end always stays thick and together.

Some more details about the pedal here ...

https://www.modulargrid.net/p/boss-rv-3

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Source Audio. Either Nemesis for loads of delay or Collider which takes 5 delay engines from the Nemesis and 7 reverb engines from their Ventris. Can be configured however you like - two reverbs, two delays, one of each, parallel or cascaded in any order. I should be getting one pretty soon. 

Walrus Audio Slö for me. It’s incredible. Doesn’t get much usage in a jam setting but I’m into my production stuff when it’s just me at home. It’s unreal at kicking out some dreamy / haunting ambience for trip hop stuff. Would be sick for post rock. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 06:48, Quatschmacher said:

Another vote for Source Audio. Either Nemesis for loads of delay or Collider which takes 5 delay engines from the Nemesis and 7 reverb engines from their Ventris. Can be configured however you like - two reverbs, two delays, one of each, parallel or cascaded in any order. I should be getting one pretty soon. 

Just watched the Juan Alderete video on that, looks amazing, love the shimmer mode and being able to store presets

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Boss RV500. It replaced a Source Audio Collider which I sent back due to various unexpected design weaknesses. RV500 is really undersold as a reverb IMO. It includes the RE201 Space Echo delay engine (albeit without the wear controls) and every reverb patch has an additional digital delay you can enable. So that's a 3 head tape sim + every reverb you can imagine + a single head digital delay on any patch. Plus with a bit of trickery you can fully daisy chain the patches albeit on mono only. I'm pretty impressed. The only slight annoyance is that even if I get rid of my DD500, it's still a few cm too wide to fit on my smaller board.

2 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Boss RV500. It replaced a Source Audio Collider which I sent back due to various unexpected design weaknesses. RV500 is really undersold as a reverb IMO. It includes the RE201 Space Echo delay engine (albeit without the wear controls) and every reverb patch has an additional digital delay you can enable. So that's a 3 head tape sim + every reverb you can imagine + a single head digital delay on any patch. Plus with a bit of trickery you can fully daisy chain the patches albeit on mono only. I'm pretty impressed. The only slight annoyance is that even if I get rid of my DD500, it's still a few cm too wide to fit on my smaller board.

Interested in what you thought the Collider design flaws were; I’m about to get one delivered. 

22 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Interested in what you thought the Collider design flaws were; I’m about to get one delivered. 

I saw that you'd won one! It was on the SA instagram feed. I will start by saying that it's failings were mostly very specific to how I wanted to use it, so YMMV. I run an ES5 loop switcher, with delay and reverb after the loops, controlled entirely via MIDI PC/CC commands.

First of all, Collider is a dual pedal, so the ability to bypass both sides of a patch via MIDI CC messages seemed like an obvious inclusion. Nope. It will only take a single CC message and there isn't one for 'bypass A + B'. I spoke to them about it and they say that it may be added in the future. The obvious workaround is to have a dummy patch that is loaded in bypass mode. This works but it kills your trails. It also takes around 500ms to load each dual patch - you can't load up each side separately - it's more like a bank in Boss-speak. This is a long while when in mid flow and I kept thinking I'd missed the switch and then flubbing the part. Then there's the switching. To save space, the left foot switch is dual function - covering the usual bypass but also tap tempo. This means it has to know what you are trying to tell it to do - and that means another wait while you exceed the maximum tap interval unfortunately. Again, it just caused me to flub. It's also got far more limited editing than either Nemesis or Ventris. This is deliberate, but I'm used to the Boss style deep dive and had just assumed that Collider would be similar - as Ventris / Nemesis both are.  Finally, the tape delay (my go to) is an Echoplex type, so no multihead options unless you set up one delay on each side of the patch and even then it's only dual head rather than 3 like the Copicat or Space Echo and you've lost the reverb option too. I was very disappointed, being a huge fan of the Manta - which has very simple and reliable MIDI. I was quite mystified by the MIDI problems.

All that said, the plate reverb sounded fantastic.

Edited by radiophonic

15 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

I saw that you'd won one! It was on the SA instagram feed. I will start by saying that it's failings were mostly very specific to how I wanted to use it, so YMMV. I run an ES5 loop switcher, with delay and reverb after the loops, controlled entirely via MIDI PC/CC commands.

First of all, Collider is a dual pedal, so the ability to bypass both sides of a patch via MIDI CC messages seemed like an obvious inclusion. Nope. It will only take a single CC message and there isn't one for 'bypass A + B'. I spoke to them about it and they say that it may be added in the future. The obvious workaround is to have a dummy patch that is loaded in bypass mode. This works but it kills your trails. It also takes around 500ms to load each dual patch - you can't load up each side separately - it's more like a bank in Boss-speak. This is a long while when in mid flow and I kept thinking I'd missed the switch and then flubbing the part. Then there's the switching. To save space, the left foot switch is dual function - covering the usual bypass but also tap tempo. This means it has to know what you are trying to tell it to do - and that means another wait while you exceed the maximum tap interval unfortunately. Again, it just caused me to flub. It's also got far more limited editing than either Nemesis or Ventris. This is deliberate, but I'm used to the Boss style deep dive and had just assumed that Collider would be similar - as Ventris / Nemesis both are.  Finally, the tape delay (my go to) is an Echoplex type, so no multihead options unless you set up one delay on each side of the patch and even then it's only dual head rather than 3 like the Copicat or Space Echo and you've lost the reverb option too. I was very disappointed, being a huge fan of the Manta - which has very simple and reliable MIDI. I was quite mystified by the MIDI problems.

All that said, the plate reverb sounded fantastic.

That’s interesting. The lack of individual CCs for the two sides does seem like a bit of an oversight. 

I chose this as a one-stop delay/reverb but I’ve also got a Ventris and Nemesis coming so I’ll see which I prefer. Might use one with my synth and another with my bass board as my Moog doesn’t have any built-in effects and I think it would sound good going into some.