Why become a member? ×

[POLL] What dimensions for your cab?

Matte_black

Hello! As you probably know I'm a bass builder and I'm building my own cabs too. It would be very interesting for me to know what dimensions you would prefer for an enclosures. Example: some would prefer a cab as wide as their rack. Some would prefer a taller box... it's a matter of taste, needs and dimensions of your car, I guess ;)
Please feel free to reply to this topic as all the options will be kept in considerations.

I'd like the sound of an Ampeg 8x10 in a box that weighs no more than 1Kg and measures 20x20x20mm ;)

In all seriousness, I think keeping the footprint size down is a good thing as well as being just wide enough to fit a rack case comfortably. Driver dimensions and resonant frequencies will surely dictate a limited flexibility in the size of the cabs though, so I guess it depends on the specifics of what you're using.

Edited by benwhiteuk

My [i]personal[/i] taste is for a square-fronted cab that's at least the same width as your average rack or wider. Hate overhanging amps!

And, for some bizarre, inexplicable reason, I also feel that 'tall' cabs (8x10's excluded) look wrong, somehow. As do 2x10 stacked on their sides for enhanced sonic dispersion...

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='Matte_black' post='407583' date='Feb 12 2009, 01:45 PM']Hello! As you probably know I'm a bass builder and I'm building my own cabs too. It would be very interesting for me to know what dimensions you would prefer for an enclosures. Example: some would prefer a cab as wide as their rack. Some would prefer a taller box... it's a matter of taste, needs and dimensions of your car, I guess :lol:
Please feel free to reply to this topic as all the options will be kept in considerations.[/quote]

As "benwhite uk" says, keep the footprint down, not of course ignoring the considerations of rack mounts, drive unit size, general stability and ease of transport. A taller cab will bring the drive units higher up and you should be able to hear yourselves better, especially if stacked, rather than the sound blasting past your knees.

Balcro