Why become a member? ×

Hiscox Liteflite Lock Repair

TomWIC

Managed to grab one of these cases for a great price used due to the lock being faulty. The key turns but the latch doesn’t disengage from the base. I contacted Hiscox and two days later I’ve got a brand new shiny latch to replace it with.

The only problem is that where the current latch doesn’t disengage, I’m not able to access the rivets on the base to drill to swap them over. I’m not overly handy to be honest, and I don’t want to brute force it in case I do more damage.

I've attached a couple of pics to hopefully show the problem. Anyone able to give me some advice about getting this old latch off?

B7F0AD8F-89BB-4981-8443-48F39A5B8AFA.jpeg

8DC92C35-B44F-4283-AE99-746A4BC8DAB1.jpeg

37A3AFD6-7F3A-4BE1-AF75-A22EA1132639.jpeg

57 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

The catches are short and pretty bendable soft metal. A push on the offending catch with a screwdriver should bend it enough to be able to open it.

Or the similar screwdriver action and you can probably prise it apart around the brass pivot pin and open it that way.

You said the key doesn't operate the lock.. when you turn it, can you hear/feel a little click as it tries to do so? Might be the key worn, so could well be worth picking open anyway.

Thanks everyone.

So, I took a chance with a screwdriver and a bit of brute force and managed to pop the latch up. Now that I've done that, whatever had made it stuck before isn't a problem now. The latch fully opens and closes again (albeit with a bit of stiffness as it's been like that for a few years, I was told) and the key locks and unlocks fine.

And now I've got a spare latch if it ever breaks again :)

Edited by TomWIC
  • Like 1