Why become a member? ×

Crossovers and Bi-Amping

stewblack

Technical question coming in at numptie level, aimed at boffin level. 

I have a a Trace Elliot AH500X which I like to use biamped mode. The internal crossover does a perfect job and I like the results. 

Can one buy a crossover (something boxed for external use) which would enable me to do this with any two heads of my choice? 

Is it as simple as plugging into one of these

Edited by stewblack

Iron Ether has the Divaricator in a small pedal format, and KMA has the Tyler, which is a bit bigger. I have both and they are in two different pedal boards. Especially chorus/flanger and fuzz can be turned close to insanity through those X-overs.

• Like 1

I had a couple of quid come in from work done before the apocalypse so bought myself a crossover. 

When I take a break from learning my modes and arpeggios I will be having enormous fun trying out various combinations of amps and cabs. 

Already got a plan for a three way! 

All set up and nowhere to play! IMG_20200323_181051.thumb.jpg.deaddff53da2a9efdf2c934a0a901aa9.jpg

So many possibilities, some even practical. Most obviously wildly over the top like the two TE heads running here. 

But I have quarantine time while the plague is in town and I'm enjoying it.

The ability to use a small cab for high mids and tops powered by a class D head and only take one larger cab saves space in the car. Also two heads are a lot easier to carry than my huge Trace biamp head. 

So thanks again for the advice. Bi-amping probably isn't necessary and maybe in a blind test I would be hard pressed to tell the difference, and yet I love it.