Why become a member? ×

Small practice amp recommendations.

NancyJohnson

I'd like to get something smallish that I can just use in my home office when I fancy a noodle.

Don't need wattage (so anything up to 15w), it needs to be desktop/compact sized, but I would like it to sound decentish but I can plug in via my dUg.  I was drawn to those Blackstar Fly combos but baulked at the 3" speaker.

Anyone?

Edited by NancyJohnson

Another vote for PJB. Just get whatever the cheapest one you can find used, and it'll be far better than anything else you can get that's not PJB. I searched high and low and owned/tested a bunch from various well-known brands, and none even came close to the fidelity of PJB.

On 14/03/2020 at 12:59, NancyJohnson said:

I'm *really* drawn to the Phil Jones, but it's at best 3-4 times more than what I'd want to spend on an amp that may only get used for 30 minutes a week!

I got a double four and it is nice - but I wouldn't recommend it for limit use, be a bit extravagant. I've tried a Roland Microcube RX and thought it was awesome for it's size - suprisingly punchy. I'd go with that.

I've got an Eden EX1104 1x10 cab which I picked up at one of the bass bashes; it works with my Elf and there's never a feeling that it's a bit lacking.

I've also got a Trace Elliot Boxer, which ain't bad.

The Phil Jones ones are rather neat and the briefcase models are the right size to sit next to (or under) a desk.

image.png

PJB are great .. at a price.  That double 4 is probably the best practice combo you can get, especially if you want to hear what you're playing rather than make a noise.

But those Roland MicroCubes are suprisingly good too.  Like the PJBs, they don't have any heft to them but the sound is all there; they even have a few DSP presets so you can model different kinds of amp.  I was very impressed at the price; nearly bought one, but then got a PJB flightcase as a main amp which is pretty portable itself.

My home office is right next to the room my basses, amp and hifi live in and it's very hard not to sneak in for a noodle when I'm supposed to be working.  A dangerous path if you want to do any actual work in said work room ;¬)

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 07:49, lemmywinks said:

If you're using it with a preamp then a little powered cab would do, Alto TX208 might be worth trying at around £90 new.

This, although I would aim higher than a TX208.  The TS series is better quality for not a lot of money.  Gives you a handy little stage monitor too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

Anybody had a go on a Fender Rumble 15 v3 practice amp? The reviews on GAK are quite good.

I need something to amuse myself in the current climate. 😁

I got one on here for a reply good price second hand, immaculate condition with manual, the works! It just does what it needs to do. Apparently they're good for guitar too. Moved it on because I got a Blackstar BEAM as it doubles up as a Bluetooth speaker in addition to being a one-for-all amp. I wasn't too impressed with the bass sounds from the BEAM (guitar sounds are v good) until I realised earlier this week I wasn't actually selecting the bass amp properly... Will try it on the actual bass amp setting over this long weekend I think! 

• Like 1