Why become a member? ×

Small practice amp recommendations.

NancyJohnson

On 09/04/2020 at 20:44, MrBen said:

I've been looking at the BEAM - be very interested on what you think of the bass sound when you getting it working properly :D

Well, now had chance. Fender P through it on both actual bass amp settings this time, not guitar amp settings! Very pleased. Adequate volume for nodding about or playing along with mp3s. 

The BEAM does everything I want it to, small practice amp for electric guitar, acoustic guitar and bass. All the amp sounds are good if you've read the instructions and used them correctly!! The effects are adequate for messing about but I don't know if you get access to more by plugging in to a PC. Volume would be OK for playing bass along with an acoustic guitarist in the same room. I'd rate the sound quality for bass the same as a Fender Rumble 15. 

Criticisms... Bluetooth music play has a bit of hiss to it but it's not too bad.

Other features: I would like to see the software for it and hope it's easy to use. Apparently it can be used for recording but I'm not sure how, and I would hope that there are other effects you can download and or save so that you can have settings you like stored up on the unit. What would be great would be to have a vocal input too so you could use it as a true acoustic performance amp thingy, there isn't a vocal channel on it sadly but I guess that would create more complexity and cost. 

Overall I am (now!!) happy with it and won't look for another practice amp. The oxblood colour is cool too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have a GK Backline 110 which I've lent to people for home practice. Both times it came back shortly after because they'd gone and bought their own.

Nice little compact combo.

They are awesome! They occasionally come up on ebay for a steal and I have been tempted to get one again. 

At the risk of asking a daft question here!

For home use at low volumes is it better to go for an amp fitted with smaller diameter speakers like PJB Double 4 or Roland Bass RX as you will get required drive with volume down. Or will a single 10 or 12 inch like Roland 60XL Markbass Micro fill out better low down?

Currently have a Fender Frontman 15B which does sound boxy, but I don’t need anything louder.

From what I have read the PJB is more hi-fi like which would be down to the control of the cone in a small speaker. I bigger unit like a 10" or 12" should offer a deeper sound in theory.

I am currently using a Vox practice amp fitted with 2 x 5" speakers and it is fine but not exactly bassy.

This little chap is excellent. 

I took delivery of this little combo on Friday courtesy of Thomann. 

I've been on the lookout for a decent practice amp as living in a terrace house with arsey neighbours can really put a dampener on practicing with a large cab and powerful amp. Even with the volume right down it's probably too loud. 

So I spotted this B-stock bargain and snapped it up. I've owned a couple of the 'larger' PJB combos which were excellent so I knew it was going to be alright but in all honesty I wasn't expecting too much from such a tiny amp like this. First thing that I noticed when I took it out of the box is just how well made it is, it's a smart little thing, sturdy and just 'feels' quality so 5 Stars there. I first tried it out using a Precision with dull flats on, no problems with that. To get the scooped sound I prefer needed almost all the mids dialled off, bass at 12 o'clock and the treble at 4 o'clock. Sounded ok, certainly useable and playing along to tunes at a reasonable volume it handled it very well. Now take the amp off my 4x10 cab and place it on the floor makes a big difference. It goes from being ok to pretty darn good and not to annoy those next door I did have to turn it down a bit. Second bass I used was my Precision with shiny new round wounds on. Much brighter sound obviously and very happy with what was coming out of the speaker. Finally I plugged in my Fodera, set the EQ flat and yep, all very HiFi as you'd expect. The little amp handled it well, even with the bass boosted  a bit it didn't break down. Its never going to be an amp you could gig with except maybe a quiet acoustic type event but for home practice its superb. 

IMG_0358.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 01:25, Slick Bass said:

At the risk of asking a daft question here!

For home use at low volumes is it better to go for an amp fitted with smaller diameter speakers like PJB Double 4 or Roland Bass RX as you will get required drive with volume down. Or will a single 10 or 12 inch like Roland 60XL Markbass Micro fill out better low down?

Currently have a Fender Frontman 15B which does sound boxy, but I don’t need anything louder.

The size of the cabinet is probably more important than the size of the drivers.  Multiple small drivers can produce low frequencies - just ask anyone with an old 8x10 sitting around.  Pretty much anything should work noodling  at home as our ears are not very sensitive to low frequencies at low volume anyway.  In my experience you get what you pay for in small amps.

• Thanks 1