Why become a member? ×

SOLD Modulus Flea 2001
£2500
Manchester

AndyTravis

I have to get my ducks in a row.

I might list the White Jazz too at some point.
I’m playing less and less, the band isn’t moving forward. I have a relentless set of bills and with no lottery win on the way...

I got this last year. A plan 20 years in the making.

Cost me a great bass and a bank loan to get it.

Its a 2001 flea, the badass, gotoh machine heads, Duncan/Modulus pickup, Aguilar preamp.

some minor dinks and knocks (but nothing shocking) and looks ridiculously lovely - very hard to photograph as I never managed to capture its loveliness.

the case is battered, but original.

I’d prefer collections.

but will post at buyers risk and cost (insured only).

40DCB014-77AF-4C22-A6DD-288B7155C6F4.thumb.jpeg.87e84a33f3a68b1f4e93e4271b78a9c0.jpeg72A2C1D2-BFF6-4D5B-886E-0FAD75DEBD58.thumb.jpeg.1793250b7fefeb9d10efdcd8c0b9ae12.jpegFF2DCE87-EC9E-43C9-91F6-ED302A9393F8.thumb.jpeg.f5d1b18ee099e615ac4eca47a45ed58d.jpeg28209834-12FF-48D1-9B52-6922E3FB2D8E.thumb.jpeg.79744f80ddaea91c7e879d7a72a6e464.jpeg7DF942D3-1937-4E95-B5DF-578EE457E682.thumb.jpeg.2ea7a82a9d1c5ae4f4417749fab9d238.jpeg5FD6913D-9FA5-4A3E-851F-96668C3A5977.thumb.jpeg.f0363cad6e09b8180f40ed9ecfd981a3.jpeg3DDE1D4B-065D-4B99-AFD3-29A36C4D7D86.jpeg.3c2e1688068de8cf2e78e9002a8f74a9.jpegF34F69CF-4CF4-479D-A7EF-792FFD5C79FF.thumb.jpeg.f2409c784082387befd1d69789ab35c2.jpeg4D0AE506-00EB-45BC-B698-2DB77F28D678.jpeg.62e01f20f1433fbf4350f10adce1fe11.jpeg

Can’t believe I’m doing this - but, please...please don’t tell me I’m mad etc. It’s stinging enough as it is...

Edited by AndyTravis
Sold on ebay
  • Like 9

Just now, bassfan said:

It’s a fantastic bass from a fantastic bloke!  I can’t believe you are doing it after all that time ....  it won’t be here long! 

I really don’t want to. 

The jazz is looking at me with sad eyes too.

don’t know if I can do both.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

I really don’t want to. 

The jazz is looking at me with sad eyes too.

don’t know if I can do both.

Don’t do the jazz mate. You know the jazz is worth more emotionally!! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Didn’t realise the necks were so stunning on these :o

KLD necks are ace.

Thousand (K) Ladies Dancing...

stop saying nice things. The sale Absolutely needs to happen. 

like a trip to the dentist...

1 minute ago, rubis said:

I'm gutted for you Andy, I've been in a similar situation myself, best of luck to you 

Well I’m not destitute or broke - I did that sell off in 2009 when my ex left me in a lot of bother.

This is about priorities shifting and bass time dwindling.

• Like 1

Do what you need to do. It is your life and they are your priorities. 

I would like to add that the thought that these have been around for 20 odd years is a cruel marker of time for me.

I would also like to add - SPARKLY!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, owen said:

Do what you need to do. It is your life and they are your priorities. 

I would like to add that the thought that these have been around for 20 odd years is a cruel marker of time for me.

I would also like to add - SPARKLY!!!!!!!!

Yeah, just some stuff. Albeit nice stuff and we live a nice life - just want to tidy a few bits up to reduce stress of outgoings.

We also have things to do on the house so...need to look at the bigger picture 

I played mine last night, the moment I plugged in I knew it was going to be a magical session. As I’ve said many times, there’s stuff I can’t play on any other bass I can play with ease on the Flea, and it sounds better than any other bass I have also.

Only thing wrong with my Flea is that I can’t put rounds and flats on the one bass at the same time :)

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I played mine last night, the moment I plugged in I knew it was going to be a magical session. As I’ve said many times, there’s stuff I can’t play on any other bass I can play with ease on the Flea, and it sounds better than any other bass I have also.

Only thing wrong with my Flea is that I can’t put rounds and flats on the one bass at the same time :)

What a quandary.

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I might have a solution to that... how do you like blue sparkle finish? 

• Haha 1

Just now, LukeFRC said:

I might have a solution to that... how do you like blue sparkle finish? 

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well I’m not destitute or broke - I did that sell off in 2009 when my ex left me in a lot of bother.

This is about priorities shifting and bass time dwindling.

Funny that Luke should comment on the blue matching headstock bass thread - in about 2009/10 he bought a Jazz in LPB with matching head from me 😂

47 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

What a quandary.

19 minutes ago, owen said:

Proper 1st world problems. 

Ha ha, fair enough. I think the point I was trying to make (perhaps poorly) is that the Modulus Flea Basses are in my experience a significant level above every other bass I've owned or played, and that includes some far more expensive instruments (and lets face it, Moduli aren't cheap). The Modulus neck really is a work of functionalist art in every sense, it's space-race/NASA pedigree is all to evident when you pick the bass up. I've gone through a few bands and periods in which the aesthetic of the Flea didn't quite fit, which is one of the reasons that I ordered a sunburst model direct from Modulus to replace my blue sparkle, which I felt was a little bit too much for the local pub (and I was lucky enough to be able to buy the sunburst model back from a fellow BCer after I sold it a few years back). But the Flea has always been the instrument to me that defines the ultimate in playability and, perhaps to a lesser degree, versatility. It is also a bass that, for whatever reason, sits around my neck perfectly and dare I say it given recent comments elsewhere, almost becomes a part of me. 

And with all that in mind, I genuinely do wish I had two Flea Basses, and could put flats on one and rounds on the other, because like Stingrays, whilst both can cover the mid ground quite well, at the extreme ends of playing style and tone the Flea is two very different beasts with different strings. And whilst I love the classic Flea top-end zinginess allied to the hard hitting and visceral sub punch so beloved by Chili fans, I'd also love to get the beautiful low mid and sensuous smoothness that only a nice old set of flats can bring along with the incredible playability of the Flea. OK, I can get that on a Precision for sure, but like those of you who play Stingrays with flats will know, the latter is a very special tone.  

If timing was a little different, Andy's bass would already be on it's way to me to be honest, but as our singer has been demonstrating for over 10 years and knows only too well, timing is a hard mistress :( 

But Andy, I'll be honest mate, big respect to you for the above and the other posts, there are things in life that are really important and which can make the shiny stuff in life seem unnecessary at times. But I do hope that you change your mind and keep this :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1