Why become a member? ×

Amp sims in modern Multi-FX - how close are they to reality?

nilebodgers

I just got myself a Zoom B1-four last week for silent practice and some of the amp sims sound pretty nice to me, at least on headphones. I am wondering what relation those sounds are to the real thing though - anyone else have any opinions/experience?

Does it matter?

Is the sound of a particular amp/cab combination so completely awesome that nothing else will ever match let alone beat it?

Besides amps and cabs only have a characteristic sound because either the technology used and/or the price point they are sold at doesn't allow then to be transparent/flat.

The only thing that matters is do you like the sound of the Sim?

Most of the time I just use an EQ module and don't bother with an amp or cab sim at all. That's what sounds good to me.

• Like 1

The Markbass sim in my old Zoom B3 pretty much nailed it. I had a Markbass set up at the time, invariably used house amps so put the B3 into FOH, it was so near that unless I’d known I would have said it was my actual Markbass amp.

I'm very happy with my Stomp amp models. The B-15, Bassman & SVT get me in the ballpark. I'm sure they don't sound exactly like the real amps, but they're close enough for me.

I thought my B3 & MS60B had some good models in too.

• Like 1