Why become a member? ×

A laptop for audio - and gaming?

burno70

I'm due to be spending a few months living in a hotel so the laptop needs to be something of an all rounder. My current budget laptop is barely ok for audio as it is and has no graphics capability.

I'm looking to invest in something that will run a DAW and VST's and will give a decent gaming experience too. I nearly ordered an MSI jobbie which looked the biz with a great spec but luckily found a review advising to steer clear for audio applications as their audio architecture causes terrible latency - something about DPC usb drives? 

Anyone have any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Razer Blade Pro 17”

Absolute powerhouse machine that I use for everything. Gaming-wise I can run any AAA title on High or Ultra settings with no problems. It has a thunderbolt 3 port in addition to the usual USB ports so you can use thunderbolt 3 (and USB-C) audio interfaces like the Universal Audio Arrow or new Arturia Audiofuse range for example.

It has a hybrid storage setup too. A 256gb SSD drive and a 2tb HDD. I’ve got a ton of files on it and I’m yet to run out of space, though I always install game files to the larger HDD to free up the SSD.

To clarify, mine is the 2017 model with the trackpad off to the right of the keyboard. The newer 2019 model has the trackpad in the more traditional centre location and has different specs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Cameron - I didn't see your reply.

I would give my right nut for one of those, their reviews are all round excellent. HOwever, brand new they are well out of my price range. I've gone for an Acer Helios 300. Some comments on audio sites saying they use them so will keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1