Why become a member? ×

Cort B5 Plus AS RM

Alberto Rigoni

Hello!
Here comes My review of the Cort B5 Plus RM.

Super affordable price, gorgeous look, lightweight (3.4kg), low B to die for, punchy and versatile tones. Recommended!

cheers and stay safe!

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just sold one of these, stuck with it for 4 months from new but in the end the narrow string spacing killed it for me, too tight for me. Bought it online blind so lesson learned re trying before buying. Got it on sale price so didn't lose much selling on.

Found it great for scalar stuff, arpeggios and chords but no good for slap. Ended up playing it more like a guitar than a bass. There is insufficieint room under the D and G strings for popping without fingertips catching body. Also I could not do a double pop on G and D strings together because of the closeness of strings.

Too much contact with neighbouring strings generally, guess my hands are too big for it or just not dextrous enough to play it.

Shame, looks gorgeous and is light to wear, balance is great, sounded good (if a little too bright for my liking).

Optons to modify to install a wider bridge and wider nut notches weren't good because of the narrow neck limitation. Measurement across the fretboard at 24th fret is about 9mm shorter on the cort than my yamaha plus on the cort the outer strings sit well inside the fretboard edge so the difference is even more. I need my 19mm spacing on a bass. Even with them adjusted to max spacing on the cort was still way too narrow.

Edited by billybigbass

I got one of theses a few months back and it's lovely.

It's the narrower string spacing on this that I like, i find it really comfortable for fast finger style and melodic lines. 

I don't really do slap properly, but can appreciate that its a bit tight for that.