Why become a member? ×

Gigs cancelled due to virus...

uk_lefty

29 minutes ago, steantval said:

Personally, I think bands practicing is a no no in the current situation.

interesting, I was only thinking today that to break the boredom maybe I should suggest a practice, we have access to a large practice room where we can easily keep  2 metres apart, take our own mics, surely the risk is minimal?

20 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

interesting, I was only thinking today that to break the boredom maybe I should suggest a practice, we have access to a large practice room where we can easily keep  2 metres apart, take our own mics, surely the risk is minimal?

If you want to practice, hire a generator and do it in a field, standing 20 ft apart.. 

That should be safe enough.

There are four of us in our band, all have different professions and mix with lots of people through work on a daily basis.

We have the luxury of our own very spacious rehearsal studio (no one else uses it), but there is still no way, even though we are all good mates, would we even consider rehearsing together.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 3

I wanted our group to send tracks out so we could work on them isolated. 

My wife is asthmatic - if there is a 1 in 100 chance of her dying if she gets it, and there is a 1 in 100 chance of catching at a practice and passing it on, then that is still massively way too high a risk for just a practice.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3

I didn't think that it would be considered a good idea, but to me practice isn't just about learning new songs, we do that before we get together, it's about playing in a band.

I suppose it depends on attitude to risk, if everybody was sensible and used a bit of common sense there wouldn't be a problem, when you see the rugby scrums round the bog rolls in the supermarkets or the dog walkers huddle together chatting away on the park, or the people sitting the pub garden being handed pints out of the widow as takeaways I think that's the real problem not 4 guys standing in a big room well over 2 metres apart

I agree - it is about playing in a band, and maybe even being mates.

Make an assumption that you have it. Would you then be happy practicing with your mates even if they were 2 meters apart? Would you be happy if one of them got it afterwards, or one of their parents, and had a bad outcome, such as death or permanent injury, even if you couldn't know whether that was down to you or not? Would you be happy never knowing if it was your fault?

I wouldn't, so I couldn't do it.

I agree, part of the problem is people sitting in the park or scrums about bog rolls. The other part of the problem is people thinking that other people are part of the problem and they aren't.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

What would happen if next week you come down with it, followed a week later by one of your band mates, who then gives it to an elderly relative?

8 hours ago, ambient said:

What would happen if next week you come down with it, followed a week later by one of your band mates, who then gives it to an elderly relative?

We rehearse at our drummer’s house. He lives with his mum, who is elderly. We won’t be rehearsing for a good while.

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I agree - it is about playing in a band, and maybe even being mates.

Make an assumption that you have it. Would you then be happy practicing with your mates even if they were 2 meters apart? Would you be happy if one of them got it afterwards, or one of their parents, and had a bad outcome, such as death or permanent injury, even if you couldn't know whether that was down to you or not? Would you be happy never knowing if it was your fault?

I wouldn't, so I couldn't do it.

I agree, part of the problem is people sitting in the park or scrums about bog rolls. The other part of the problem is people thinking that other people are part of the problem and they aren't.

I suppose it's down to an individual's attitude to risk, some are very risk averse, taken to extremes you'd never get in a car or on a plane, I'm a calculated risk sort of person, having said that with the talk this morning of a total lock down I'll abandon the idea 

Being a "calculated risk person" is fine if the risk is yours. If you get it wrong, it only affects you. If the risk is to others and you get it wrong that's a whole different ball game. We won't be rehearsing any time soon. We'll work on some new songs at home, then put the parts together when we can. 

• Like 4

Our drummer is over 70, therefore tecnically at risk. The guitarist's wife has MS (she's poddling on ok, but doesn't need the virus). I'm sort of at risk because I've had Crohn's disease for 50 years. It's a shame, but rehearsing ain't gonna happen. We're investigating rehearsing online via JamKazam, but I think the technological input is too much for our addled brains.

I've urged everyone to practise, practise, practise... and to learn those really hard songs we've been avoiding up to now.

I'm a cynical, curmudgeonly, old git and I resent this stuff... but I have a genetic predisposition to doing what I'm told. The quicker we stick to the rules, the quicker we will emerge out of the other side of this.

9 hours ago, ambient said:

End of the day, music for most on here is a hobby. Is it worth you or an at-risk relative dying because you wanted to do your hobby?

Change direction, send each other tracks, work on them, jam by recording.

Even though music is my living, my band has acknowledged early on in this pandemic that our gigs and rehearsals will not be happening for some time.

Watching the news now with scenes of people over the weekend blatantly ignoring guidelines on dealing with the situation because they don’t care about others or think it doesn’t apply to them makes me both sad and angry. We have to accept that things will not be the same for a long time ( if ever ) and change our behaviour accordingly.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, casapete said:

Even though music is my living, my band has acknowledged early on in this pandemic that our gigs and rehearsals will not be happening for some time.

Watching the news now with scenes of people over the weekend blatantly ignoring guidelines on dealing with the situation because they don’t care about others or think it doesn’t apply to them makes me both sad and angry. We have to accept that things will not be the same for a long time ( if ever ) and change our behaviour accordingly.

I think you’re right, it’s going to be a very long time. I can’t see travel restrictions being relaxed until well into the autumn. Social distancing they reckon could be for a year. If that’s how long it takes, then so be it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeystrange said:

Yep. Should have been in Bilston with pink torpedo Sparrer.

pink torpedo Sparrer? Oh good grief. Time to get rid of this fscking useless profanity filter once and for all.

Next one in our diary is 10th April, looking pretty unlikely but who knows.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Who else should have been gigging tonight?

Yep, and tonight. We've not played for 3 weeks now, feels very strange when each cancelled booking passes. I think we're looking at the realistic prospect of not playing for at least 3 or 4 months... 

On the plus side there's been plenty of time to play my fingers raw to all the Dimitri From Paris mixes of Chic 😎 

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

On the plus side there's been plenty of time to play my fingers raw to all the Dimitri From Paris mixes of Chic 😎 

Bernard's line are great. Do you play them like him, finger style, but often using the finger like a pick?

Could be wrong, I haven't watched any tuition bids, but that looks like what he's doing when playing.