Why become a member? ×

Gigs cancelled due to virus...

uk_lefty

38 minutes ago, Dubs said:

The problem with the government's weak response to closing down public spaces, instead issuing advice for social distancing, is that it puts the financial and moral onus on individuals and private business - is it fair to demonise people who are tying to keep things ticking over because the alternative is almost certain financial ruin? 

It's a grim situation. 

It is a horrible situation for a lot of people to be in, but like you said it's moral vs financial, and moral should be the winner ultimately... No body should want to choose increasing fatalities over money. Businesses can be rebuilt, we just need to try and get through this with as little loss of life as possible. 

52 minutes ago, Dubs said:

The problem with the government's weak response to closing down public spaces, instead issuing advice for social distancing, is that it puts the financial and moral onus on individuals and private business - is it fair to demonise people who are tying to keep things ticking over because the alternative is almost certain financial ruin? 

It's a grim situation. 

The advice is fairly clear. As a band, continuing to gig which by it's very nature involves drawing together a large group of people who have all had multiple contacts with other people is just highly irresponsible. The people who are likely to still want to turn up to these events are probably not distancing themselves socially and  probably of the "it's all scaremongering, I'm relatively young and healthy, I don't know what all the fuss is about" sort of people, and that makes these events even more dangerous. Just stop. Now. Anyone who has booked you and is unhappy that you won't play is an idiot.  And that's without the "Go on, we're paying you a lot of money, it's us helping you keep earning a living, let my son/daughter have a go on your microphone, they're really good and it's their birthday". Good luck with that. I'll say it again: just stop. Now.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, steantval said:

Bo Jo has now informed clubs, theatres and pubs are to be closed until further notice from tonight, all gigs will definitely now be off.

We're going to save a lot of money on strings: "Social distancing would be needed for "at least half of the year" to stop intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to the government's scientific advisers." BBC.

What long term damage is this is going to do for live music in pubs, social clubs etc? Are we prepared to gig for less money or even free for venues that will have lost so much revenue by the time this is all over? It's possible that the damage done will reduce further the venues available for bands, I don't have a good feeling about any of it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Regarding social distancing etc, the worrying thing is that there will be a hardcore of mostly not-very-bright under 30's who really just don't give a flying f*** about anybody or anything, and will show just how 'hard' they are by deliberately acting irresponsibly. Witness the "Coronaparties" reported this morning, apparently taking place in Germany. These peoples grasp of social responsibility is clearly zero at the best of times, so if any of them actually succumbed to the virus I would therefore have zero sympathy.  😠

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Regarding social distancing etc, the worrying thing is that there will be a hardcore of mostly not-very-bright under 30's who really just don't give a flying f*** about anybody or anything, and will show just how 'hard' they are by deliberately acting irresponsibly. Witness the "Coronaparties" reported this morning, apparently taking place in Germany. These peoples grasp of social responsibility is clearly zero at the best of times, so if any of them actually succumbed to the virus I would therefore have zero sympathy.  😠

That's the problem though, they'll likely be fine, but who knows how many people they'll pass it on to, some of whom may be vulnerable and will need critical care - or die. 

1 hour ago, grumpyguts said:

What long term damage is this is going to do for live music in pubs, social clubs etc? Are we prepared to gig for less money or even free for venues that will have lost so much revenue by the time this is all over? It's possible that the damage done will reduce further the venues available for bands, I don't have a good feeling about any of it.

It's definitely going to affect the industry, but it'll bounce back, it's more a question of how quickly. Once it's all blown over, there'll still be people investing in pubs, clubs and venues; if anything there could be a huge surge as people embrace their newfound freedom! Also the state of the economy will likely mean that investors will be looking for closed down places as a going concern, knowing that there will be a big boom in the industry once everyone's free. 

A lot of people are going to lose out in the meantime though, although hopefully the additional measures Sunak has announced will help to make this possible to survive, even if its not entirely comfortable.... 

People need to keep this in perspective though, these measures are to save lives. Businesses can be reopened, rebuilt, new jobs can be found, new bookings taken, but loss of life can't be reversed.

There's likely going to be thousands of deaths in the UK. I'd gladly gig for less if it meant saving one life. 

1 hour ago, grumpyguts said:

Not to mention gear manufacturers.

Indeed, it may be a good idea for all of us to help secure Asset Of Community Value or Listed status for any pub we don't want to lose.

We know of a couple of places in Chiswick which are out of harm's way thanks to this. That necessitates the landlord and regulars to team up and start the paperwork. Often, the brewery will be totally against it, and will have to be fought off.

CAMRA has helped in the past, IIRC, and might do again.

My favourite local is a community pub, bought from Greene King when they sought planning permission for change of use to private housing. A group of wealthy locals bought the place and it has been very successful, though will obviously be struggling over the next few months.

• Like 1

Would I gig for free at a venue who have booked me regularly and treated me well, sometimes for years, in order to help them get back on their feet? Absolutely and without hesitation. Would I take a booking from a venue that I've canvassed on many occasions, given them CDs, sat their with my wife and bought a few drinks, been to watch other bands, you know the score, never managed to get a booking, and now they'd like me to play for free because "we're all in it together": not a chance.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

Would I gig for free at a venue who have booked me regularly and treated me well, sometimes for years, in order to help them get back on their feet? Absolutely and without hesitation. Would I take a booking from a venue that I've canvassed on many occasions, given them CDs, sat their with my wife and bought a few drinks, been to watch other bands, you know the score, never managed to get a booking, and now they'd like me to play for free because "we're all in it together": not a chance.

My band have agreed to play a couple of our regular (well paid) venues for free when they reopen.

• Like 1

Fortunately I only really play weddings so with a bit of luck that sort of venue will be back up and running as soon as they get the green light. We usually do a lot of corporate xmas gigs and I expect that to be almost non existent for at least a year or two. Pubs may well need to do a bit more of a steady recovery before they put bands on. 

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the news today yet, but has there been any discussion or proposals to provide financial support for the self-employed including musicians?

I was just calculating that between this weekend and the end of June the covers band I play in is likely to have 14 pub gigs cancelled, amounting to a loss of earnings close to £7000. That's not to mention the weddings we have lost too (although we've been fortunate to reschedule one or two for the autumn). 

Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any advice.

Edited by sPiKi

10 minutes ago, sPiKi said:

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the news today yet, but has there been any discussion or proposals to provide financial support for the self-employed including musicians?

I was just calculating that between this weekend and the end of June the covers band I play in is likely to have 14 pub gigs cancelled, amounting to a loss of earnings close to £7000. That's not to mention the weddings we have lost too (although we've been fortunate to reschedule one or two for the autumn). 

I think all they've offered for the self employed is SSP, and any tax payments deferred until January..... 

I get that it's more difficult with self employed people, because they might have had a much better /worse year this year, so it's hard to make a sobering decision about how much to give them. However, I would've thought that giving them minimum wage at least, if not national living wage based on a full time job would have been a better starting point, especially as they're now paying 80% of employed people's wages..... 

Edited by TRBboy

1 hour ago, sPiKi said:

I think they're going to bump up the amount you get for Universal Credit by £1000. So, if those self-employed go and claim it now, they'll start getting it. And there is an up-front loan so no 5 week delay.

On 20/03/2020 at 20:11, phil.c60 said:

Some bars, now closed, may allow you to use them for practice or more. Worth asking.

One of the main music bars in town contacted me earlier today asking if we'd like to do some live-stream 'gigs'. We've got a new album out and we cancelled the album launch party. This could be a cool way to bring our new music out, while helping the bar a little. 

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

Some bars, now closed, may allow you to use them for practice or more. Worth asking.

One of the main music bars in town contacted me earlier today asking if we'd like to do some live-stream 'gigs'. We've got a new album out and we cancelled the album launch party. This could be a cool way to bring our new music out, while helping the bar a little. 

Personally, I think bands practicing is a no no in the current situation.

• Like 3