Why become a member? ×

Gigs cancelled due to virus...

uk_lefty

4 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Saturday's gig is still on at the moment, but we're now a bit wary of advertising it, in view of the Government recommendations.

If we do, it may seem like we don't give a stinky poo about people's health if we are encouraging people to come to the club?

What are the rest of you doing for gigs that are still on?

We were supposed to have one Friday, the pub were still up for it, but we ultimately didn't feel it was socially responsible to do it. Plus it would likely be dead.... 

4 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Saturday's gig is still on at the moment, but we're now a bit wary of advertising it, in view of the Government recommendations.

If we do, it may seem like we don't give a stinky poo about people's health if we are encouraging people to come to the club?

What are the rest of you doing for gigs that are still on?

We were supposed to have one Friday, the pub were still up for it, but we ultimately didn't feel it was socially responsible to do it. Plus it would likely be dead.... 

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

we cancelled ours ourselves for this reason, tbh the pubs seemed grateful we'd taken the decision for them, one way to get the pubs shut down by the Government is for them to try and attract punters, I'd imagine keeping a low profile is a better plan.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Were you guys playing at Glasto?! What's the band?

I do the tech work for them, sub- mixing and monitoring. They're called UNE.

Car-fest North was with the band I play in, Fine Lines.

Edited by jimmyb625

Two shows at the end of the month were both postponed yesterday. Nothing now until the middle of May so hoping it will have calmed down by then and we can go ahead as planned.

For me it’s a mild inconvenience but I know a lot of musicians who depend on touring for their main income. It’s them that I feel for. And the venues that may well not survive.

• Like 1

Just had a dep gig offered - a standard club gig for the 28th, and it's local. Played with this band before, no problems, so I'd normally accept this straight away.

But I really feel I shouldn't be doing this, so have declined.

Thing is, I know one of the guys in the band is a teacher with two young daughters. I simply can't understand why he (and the rest of the band) would want to put themselves at risk in this way. I've played this place before - the venue is 'friendly' but I can't imagine it's well known for it's hygiene standards.  This applies to both the toilets and the punters.  :shok:

I'm literally amazed that venues are still allowing gigs to go ahead. We are booked for a 21st birthday party in Coventry on Saturday and the venue have said "we are happy to go ahead as long as we can square it with the staff". The client is adamant that her daughter will have a party. It looks like we are going to be the ones to pull the plug as we feel we have a social responsibility not to be involved in gigs at the moment. 

There are lots of rumours of a full lockdown on the horizon and that the army are preparing to mobilize to enforce it. Would actually make life a lot easier for us if they did as then everyone is clear on where we stand.

I think we'll see more stringent and mandatory measures in place by the weekend. 

I also think we can assume all gigs will be off for at least 3-4 months, if not longer. 

China have had it since December, and they're only just starting to think about lifting restrictions now. 

25 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I've had to bail on tonight's rehearsal, after consultation with the band, as I am self isolating.

Saturday's gig was looking increasingly unlikely. 

All March gigs now cancelled, although we are in the fortunate position of them all being rearranged.

We've just killed the full programme through to the end of April, which on top of cancellations means we won't be playing again until 2nd week in May. 

Somewhat gutted but as one band member has a partner who is at risk the decision was absolutely necessary.

Fortunately I'm not dependent on the [meagre] income but I have every sympathy with those far more affected than myself.  Unfortunately the day job is looking in jeopardy in the same way as it must be for half the population..........

That aside, on the positive, I'll be spending the next 6 weeks putting together my astrophotography rig and hoping for some clear skies....and chain watching Netflix, Amazon Prime.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

a  ex servicemens club near me is actually advertising in FB that the entertainment will carry on as usually this weekend and advertising the acts 😲

Yeah although a number of our local pubs have announced their closure today, there's a band still playing at one of the pubs Saturday night, and a local nightclub has an event on Saturday from 22:00-03:00 called 'keep calm and party on' or something..... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Our favourite venue has just cancelled us for the beginning of April. No real surprise, but a shame nonetheless. I had another gig 2 weeks later with another band that I had to get a dep in for (I’m supposed to be away - we’ll see about that I guess) but I reckon they’ll cancel too. Going to be an even leaner year than I anticipated. Hard to justify any GAS without some gigs :( .

It's just going to keep on coming this year.  Stowblues Festival and Dereham Blues Festival - playing at both, both cancelled today.  Had the promise of the Ipswich Maritime Festival again, if that goes ahead, but who knows - that is August.

We were due to play a social club on Saturday; we spoke to them and cancelled, in line with the govt advice but also because two band members are at-risk. The venue fully understood and agreed... but according to their FB page, not only are they still opening on Saturday but incredibly they've actually booked another act. Irresponsible beyond reason.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

We were due to play a social club on Saturday; we spoke to them and cancelled, in line with the govt advice but also because two band members are at-risk. The venue fully understood and agreed... but according to their FB page, not only are they still opening on Saturday but incredibly they've actually booked another act. Irresponsible beyond reason.

Just seen a similar thing here - band has pulled out of a gig in a club this coming Saturday and the venue and band are advertising for a replacement. WTF?

10 hours ago, casapete said:

Just seen a similar thing here - band has pulled out of a gig in a club this coming Saturday and the venue and band are advertising for a replacement. WTF?

This is the problem with government "advice". Its just not getting through to a lot of people in the same way an enforced lockdown would.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rich said:

The problem with the government's weak response to closing down public spaces, instead issuing advice for social distancing, is that it puts the financial and moral onus on individuals and private business - is it fair to demonise people who are tying to keep things ticking over because the alternative is almost certain financial ruin? 

It's a grim situation. 

54 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

This is the problem with government "advice". Its just not getting through to a lot of people in the same way an enforced lockdown would.

That's exactly the problem, and exactly how things got so out of control in Italy; they advised people to only go out if necessary, etc, etc, but didn't force the issue, and as a result people were going to cafes, bars, clubs, hairdressers, etc..... The govt there didn't lock it down until cases really started snowballing, and I think by then it was too late.