Why become a member? ×

Gigs cancelled due to virus...

uk_lefty

I've not had any cancellations yet, but I'm expecting them to come soon. My diary gets busy in a few weeks and what was looking like a decent summer season ahead could now be a disaster. At this stage I'm hoping that I won't lose all the pub gigs as they may count as smaller gatherings. That money could be a life saver. The well paid weddings, corporates & parties are more likely to disappear as further measures come into force.

As the whole planet is in uncharted territory it's so hard to predict anything right now.

• Like 1

It's a strange situation where we find the public and private organisations taking the lead on the decisions to cancel events and mass gatherings ahead of any government advice. It's almost like they're just watching the swinging gate after the horse has bolted. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dubs said:

It's a strange situation where we find the public and private organisations taking the lead on the decisions to cancel events and mass gatherings ahead of any government advice. It's almost like they're just watching the swinging gate after the horse has bolted. 

That seems to be exactly what it is! It looks like we're following in italy's footsteps, but it's highly likely to be even more disastrous.... 

I was reading more this morning about the government's strategy, and I get the logic a bit more now, but it's a HUGE gamble to take with the lives of the populous, and unknown if it can even work.

There will undoubtedly be many, many deaths, and a good few months of chaos and heavy restrictions I think. 

I've just had a gig cancelled this morning.

It was to be on 21st March and it was a gig I was very much looking forward to.  Coronavirus was the reason given for cancelling the gig.  To be honest, I don't blame the organisers, because they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Frank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, E sharp said:

I don't understand how a pub gig can be cancelled , whilst the said pub , decides to stay open .

Its not just the "virus" itself which could cause a cancellation. If the likely attendance was well down (mainly due to some punters deciding to stay away, possibly due to some being sick or self-isolating) then it might render it economically unviable, thus cancelled. Or it could simply be 1 or 2 key staff self-isolating, which means they're too short to put the event on.

• Like 3

We have over 90 weddings in the diary this year. So far no cancellations but surely only a matter of time. The problem is that almost every gig we have is a wedding and therefore the clients have huge amounts of money tied up in them. It must be a nightmare for them. Especially if the over 70s are forced to isolate and therefore parents or grandparents would miss the big day. 

We played a charity fundraiser last night for forces veterans. They sold 400 tickets and only 80 people turned up. It was pretty depressing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Vince Power was on R5 - he now runs some small London venues incl Subterrania - past few nights have all been sold out in advance, but only half the ticket holders have turned up. With venue profit on the bar, it quickly becomes unworkable.

Govt cancelling mass gatherings is about public health. Venue / pubs cancelling gigs is about profit.

Two jazz gigs this month yet to cancel - but they could rarely be described as mass gatherings (!).

Edited by Drax

Tonight I’ve been offered a solo gig for next week, strangely. One of the three acts on the bill has pulled out, so I got the call. I’d be amazed if it even goes ahead. It seems odd to be booking shows when everything is closing down.

We played at the Lanarkshire March of The Mods in Blantyre on Saturday there, it was a great day, but there seemed to be a feeling amongst everyone in attendance of 'well, it might be a while until we get to do it again'.

Saturday was the 1st of four weekends on the trot for us, which is more than the 3 gigs every 2 months we've been kinda averaging...however, this Friday coming has just been cancelled and we're now fully expecting them all to fall like a deck of cards one after the next.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, E sharp said:

I don't understand how a pub gig can be cancelled , whilst the said pub , decides to stay open .

Around here before virtually all gigs were verboten there were a few venues limiting attendance, such as running at 1/3rd legal capacity in one case. So in that case I'd assume that they'd just dispense with the bands completely if they could already fill that many seats on a given night.

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

All my gigs are currently going ahead as planned, but one is at The Boat Race. I'm wondering if a ban on public events is brought in, would it apply, as it's not actually in a venue?

We have a gig in the isle of Man early June for the TT races so may be a similar situation. 

Unsurprisingly Belgium/Holland gigs for end of April are cancelled. 
As they’re the only gigs I do, I don’t be adversely affected. But I do feel for rest of band that do this stuff for a living. 

I’ve picked up worse things at gigs than Coronavirus mind. 🤪

The announcement that the govt are making as I type will essentially put an end to most of all of our gigs for the foreseeable future. They are advising against gatherings of any size from this point forward until further notice.