Why become a member? ×

Gigs cancelled due to virus...

uk_lefty

Two tours wiped out today.. one UK and one Europe, and my only significant source of income over the next 2 months. Same story for a few of my friends. Not really sure where to go from here, nor how the mortgage is getting paid! Maybe the YouTube musicians have got it right... 

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, knicknack said:

Two tours wiped out today.. one UK and one Europe, and my only significant source of income over the next 2 months. Same story for a few of my friends. Not really sure where to go from here, nor how the mortgage is getting paid! Maybe the YouTube musicians have got it right... 

I'm sorry to read this. Definitely contact your mortgage lender ASAP if you really don't think there is any other way.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, thebassist said:

I'm sorry to read this. Definitely contact your mortgage lender ASAP if you really don't think there is any other way.

Absolutely... taking the weekend to assess things at the moment. The only certainty is that the dog'll be getting a lot of long walks (shutdown allowing...)

Club gig tonight and a Theatre tomorrow....both still on a present but all the venues for the rest of the tour have told the promoters that ALL ticket sales came to a halt last week, it was the same experience for all parts of the country, so i guess we may get this weekends in and that may be the last for a while. 

• Sad 1

Our venue doesn’t open til 7, but we’re going to call and check later.

It’d be a shame because it’s our first gig with a new singer, and was a short notice one so we’ve been madly getting her up to speed over the last couple of weeks, but I suspect attendance would be down even if it goes ahead. 

I also have an orchestra rehearsal tomorrow morning = lots of people in a room for 3 hours.

My next 2 gigs (partly due to one band having an upcoming planned hiatus as gtr takes paternity leave) are late April and early June so I'm not expecting to be majorly out of pocket😂 It will be annoying if the April one gets canned as we are trying to work up new material for it and there are so few bookings for that band currently the future of the band might take a knock.

• Like 1

We had a two week break anyhow until the end of March (pre-planned) but a fairly full weekend programme after that.  No cancellations as yet but we're expecting them as things get a bit tense over the next few weeks.

More worried about potential cancellation of the Heaven 17 gig at Sheffield City Hall next Thursday (playing the first 2 Human League albums which I love to bits).  Been looking forward to this for months.

Edited by martthebass

2 postponements so far, got another this month i seriously doubt will happen. We're booked for September already as well which is when people are trying to reschedule, so ultimately the postponements will be a cancellation.

I was all set for a short trip to Finland at the start of April to see 3 gigs on 3 consecutive nights as part of the JuuriJuhla festival in Espoo. Now the whole festival has been cancelled. Slightly bizarrely, our language classes at the Finnish Institute in Kings Cross have also been cancelled because of the Finnish government's decision to halt public gatherings. 

The band I play in has played one day a week continuously for the past fifty years. Must be quite a record. Last Tuesday our gate was 21, due very much to virus fears. So next Tue will be our last for the foreseeable, or until the virus goes away.

Very sad but sensible.

• Like 1

First Central London gig for tomorrow night cancelled.

Our local East End regular pub gig still going ahead tonight and one in the diary in 2 weeks' time at the same venue with my other band but doubt they will be able to fork out for bands over the next few months if punters are staying away, so tonight could be our last one for a while.

We just picked up one tonight due to the booked band cancelling...... and had 2 others offered to us! I've got a bad feeling about the one we're booked in for tomorrow night though.... I can smell a cancellation 

6 hours ago, Jakester said:

Our venue doesn’t open til 7, but we’re going to call and check later.

It’d be a shame because it’s our first gig with a new singer, and was a short notice one so we’ve been madly getting her up to speed over the last couple of weeks, but I suspect attendance would be down even if it goes ahead. 

I also have an orchestra rehearsal tomorrow morning = lots of people in a room for 3 hours.

Well, apparently both still on! See you on the other side... 😷

We are supposed to be playing the first gig with our new singer in the Hard Rock Cafe in Glasgow on the 25th of April. There is a "request" by Nicola`s lot to not have any events with more than 500 people and I don`t think the venue holds that many. No word either way yet but I`m not hopeful.

But I imagine the ticket sales will be crap anyway. The annual Bonfest festival in Kirremuir is looking dodgy as there are people coming from all over the world and it`s quite a large event. If its binned, I imagine it will seriously affect the local economy. Having played there the last 3 years, due to getting a new singer on board we aren`t playing there this year and I was really looking forward to the Glasgow gig.

Gigging isn`t my main income but I feel really sorry for all the sound, lightning, trucking, techs etc that make their living doing this.

But for us it just a gig thats blown out (maybe) and there are many other people in a worse position than us.

Edited by jezzaboy